• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

I miss:
Triscuits
Whole wheat tortillas
Timbits
Fresh french bread from the bakery (Hubby and I ate this for YEARS every Saturday, gluten-free bread does NOT cut it)
Hot, fresh pizza
Fast food of ANY KIND (and I NEVER used to eat it but now that I can't have it, i want it more!!!)

I just hate reading every label. If the list is too long, I just abort and don't bother.

BUT really, as we all know, there are so many things we CAN eat, so I try to celebrate those as much as I can!!!
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 iamsarar

iamsarar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

I miss being able to go out with my husband and run to the new doughnut shop in town or picking up a pizza on the way home, stopping at the bagel shop. I didn't realize how much of our outings revolved around food until I couldn't do it any more. The fun part though is finding new things to do and places to explore like going to the city and trying a new restaurant we found with a gluten free menu or taking that hour long drive through the trees and along the water and ending up at the Gluten free bakery and having picnic by the water with new goodies to try........ actually as I read this I think I like the new life better :)

#63 ilookthetype

ilookthetype

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

I miss my Mom's homemade pizza. I miss Yorkshire Pudding. It's not that I miss the easy, and I didn't realize it until people mentioned it, I miss the fitting in. I'm pretty introverted and you can't be introverted when everyone is asking why you aren't eating. I'm incredibly sensitive, and I was a receptionist and had to set up and tear down potlucks, I ate before set up to prevent glutening.

I miss being able to eat at a restaurant. I miss being able to share a drink with my roommate without discussing what she's eaten that day. I miss being able to kiss my boyfriend without a 20min detox before hand. I miss being able to buy inexpensive food. I miss being able to waitress and feel fine after every shift. Most of all, I miss mother flipping YUENGLING. I'm a Pennsylvania girl, I tell my tables (here in DC where I now live) that Yuengling is in my blood, I was born to raised to love it. That is what I miss most of all (don't tell the BF that I miss more!).
Gluten Intolerant 07/10, who knew that wheat didn't make everyone sick...

Run Mad as often as you choose but do not faint. (Fanny Price)

"Its a sacred time when two roommates nap together."

#64 ChristineR

ChristineR

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

I miss oreo double stuffs and butter finger candy bars

#65 benchwarmer

benchwarmer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:34 AM

- I miss going out for dinner to celebrate special occasions with my fiancee.
- I miss my Oma's amazing cakes and cookies.
- I miss having the option of taking a vacation at an all-inclusive resort.
- I miss ordering in when I'm tired and lazy after a long week.
- I miss being able to get through a day without somebody patronizing my meal with "well THAT looks good". . .because gluten-free is usually not good???!
- I miss being able to join in on bake exhanges with my friends at Christmas.
- I miss having drinks with friends at a bar or pub without worrying about contamination of the soda gun or the beer splashed on the bartender's hands.
- I miss being able to go to a friend's place or family member's place for dinner without feeling like an inconvenience.

Most of all, I miss feeling like everybody else.
Watching commercials or TV shows, sometimes I am baffled by how easy it is for people to go out to a restaurant or to a wedding and eat/drink whatever they want. It's one of those amazing luxuries in life that you don't know you have until it's gone. . .

#66 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

I totally hear ya on the Oreo's... but I think the gluten-free version I've had (KinniToos, by Kinnickinick) are just as good, of not better.... but they don't have a double stuffed version (yet...)

as far as butter fingers, are you referring to the candy bar? My understanding is that the Butterfinger candy bars are gluten-free... at least the regular size ones.
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#67 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

Butter finger candy bars are gluten free....Can't say that about the oreos though!

Wenmin

#68 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

As others have said, I miss convenience, and the freedom to eat whatever, whenever, wherever, without thinking about it. I miss being anonymous when we eat out. Sometimes it feels like there's a spotlight on me that says "DIFFERENT!!", as I explain my dietary needs to the server. :( Often I'd rather just eat at home or bring my own. It's so much easier.

Fortunately, the concept of gluten free eating is becoming more commonly understood. I'd still rather not have to deal with it, though!

And then there's bagels, sourdough breadbowls filled with steaming hot clam chowder, 'real' chocolate chip cookies... sigh. (ok, stop thinking about that stuff NOW!!. :lol:

And, I'm off to the market, to read labels and supply us for the coming week.
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#69 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

They have a gluten free beer called RedBridge they sell at the baseball stadium here in STL. Not sure what it taste like.
Anyone here try that one yet?

i tried redbridge- and it was AWFUL... i wanted to spit it out. so far, ive only liked gluten free cider.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#70 Terri O

Terri O

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

i tried redbridge- and it was AWFUL... i wanted to spit it out. so far, ive only liked gluten free cider.

Ditto on the Redbridge....New Grist isnt too terribly bad but it still isnt BEER. Now I am looking to find Greene's...supposed to have 3 flavors including a dark!

#71 angel9165

angel9165

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

Ditto on the Redbridge....New Grist isnt too terribly bad but it still isnt BEER. Now I am looking to find Greene's...supposed to have 3 flavors including a dark!

The Redbridge does leave a lot to be desired but dang, I want an ice cold beer!!! :(
Diagnosed w/ Celiac disease on Sept 1st, 2010

#72 Adrienne2823

Adrienne2823

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

I miss the social aspect...potlucks, family dinners etc. I feel like an outcast sometimes but I do not miss being sick at all!

I do miss:
Picking up a quick cheeseburger meal..
A REAL smothered (flour tortilla) burrito at a mexican restaraunt
Pizza (as dairy kicks my butt too...)

Diagnosed June 2010 finally after being misdiagnosed with IBS for 20 years...

Gluten-Free, Dairy/Caesin Free

#73 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

Watching commercials or TV shows, sometimes I am baffled by how easy it is for people to go out to a restaurant or to a wedding and eat/drink whatever they want. It's one of those amazing luxuries in life that you don't know you have until it's gone. . .[/quote]

This is so true!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#74 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:50 AM

well thats good to know so i didn't waste 10 bucks on a 6 pack or 10 on a 20 oz at the stadium.
Oh well, i probably shouldn't be drinking anyway with my gut problems.

#75 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

I miss going to our neighborhood bar and having a beer with our friends. (a mixed drink just isn't the same, and in the middle of the afternoon it seems rather hard-core drinker)) Also I miss sharing in the bar food on the table. Even though I don't mind Redbridge, no bars or restaurants around here offer it.

Other things I really miss:
Fried shrimp Po boy
gumbo
Popeye's chicken
All things commercially fried

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: