This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sushi Assistance

hunter6009

hunter6009 Rookie

Hello everyone! I need some assistance from my fellow celiacs who love sushi. I've been gluten-free since Nov. 27th 2010 and prior to that was a sushi HOUND! I literally ate it as often as possible. Soooo, I haven't given up sushi, just making gluten-free choices. I know the normal things to change (soy sauce, tempura, checking the rice, etc), but my issues are with the not so norm items. Most of the sushi restaurants in my area are operated by Korean-speaking sushi chefs. Okay- problem solved, right? I printed off a celiac dining card in Korean and thought that would handle it. Well that just seems to confuse them even more. Apparently celiac disease does not translate well into Korean. It just scares the crap out of them and they tend to end up saying things like "we can't serve you". Huh?! I've had multiple conversations trying to educate sushi chefs and servers, but it's hard to determine what in their kitchen is exactly gluten-free and not. For example, their mayo? Have no clue! What about the spicy tuna..is the "spicy paste and spices" they use gluten-free? They don't know! Then their are those restaurants that won't tell me their "special ingredient" they add to their rice (like I'm going to steal their special recipe!). The whole rice vinegar thing is very daunting to explain. Korean celiac card doesn't translate well...I think one place it adding malt vinegar so okay, I get that one. But plain rice vinegar is fine, right?!

Can someone help me so I can TRY to eat gluten-free sushi? At least attempt to pick the things with the safest bet?

Thank you!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

My guess is that some of your diet would have to change too -- For example much of the Korean nori (Seaweed) is processed with soy sauce and Japanese is not. Chinese Nori is well 50/50 chance.

So, if you can find out that they use rice vinegar and not malt vinegar, you may have to stick to fish and not spicy tuna rolls. Some of the pickles, both japanese tsukemono and korean types, may have some soy sauce too.

Maybe some of the Koreans can read the Japanese celiac card which explains things fairly well.

Took some time to teach my chef buddies in Tokyo about celiac but now they keep special sauce for me and use different starches and thickeners instead of wheats.

Good luck

Hello everyone! I need some assistance from my fellow celiacs who love sushi. I've been gluten-free since Nov. 27th 2010 and prior to that was a sushi HOUND! I literally ate it as often as possible. Soooo, I haven't given up sushi, just making gluten-free choices. I know the normal things to change (soy sauce, tempura, checking the rice, etc), but my issues are with the not so norm items. Most of the sushi restaurants in my area are operated by Korean-speaking sushi chefs. Okay- problem solved, right? I printed off a celiac dining card in Korean and thought that would handle it. Well that just seems to confuse them even more. Apparently celiac disease does not translate well into Korean. It just scares the crap out of them and they tend to end up saying things like "we can't serve you". Huh?! I've had multiple conversations trying to educate sushi chefs and servers, but it's hard to determine what in their kitchen is exactly gluten-free and not. For example, their mayo? Have no clue! What about the spicy tuna..is the "spicy paste and spices" they use gluten-free? They don't know! Then their are those restaurants that won't tell me their "special ingredient" they add to their rice (like I'm going to steal their special recipe!). The whole rice vinegar thing is very daunting to explain. Korean celiac card doesn't translate well...I think one place it adding malt vinegar so okay, I get that one. But plain rice vinegar is fine, right?!

Can someone help me so I can TRY to eat gluten-free sushi? At least attempt to pick the things with the safest bet?

Thank you!!!

Looking for answers Contributor

My only tip is that you have to be sure to order real crab...most use imitation which contains wheat.

cassP Contributor

i used to work at a japanese restaurant- and they used rice vinegar with the rice to make it more sticky.

ive only had sushi out maybe 3 times since going gluten free last july- and i just stick with rolls with avocado, shrimp, cucumber, cream cheese.. real crab IF they have it. i bring my own gluten free soy sauce, and i just assume they put rice vinegar in their rice. and ive been okay. i really really really really really miss my Unagi tho :(:(:( Big time :(

kenlove Rising Star

ask them to make unagi ( or anago) with a little salt water instead of the sweet soy sauce. Not the same but close!

i used to work at a japanese restaurant- and they used rice vinegar with the rice to make it more sticky.

ive only had sushi out maybe 3 times since going gluten free last july- and i just stick with rolls with avocado, shrimp, cucumber, cream cheese.. real crab IF they have it. i bring my own gluten free soy sauce, and i just assume they put rice vinegar in their rice. and ive been okay. i really really really really really miss my Unagi tho :(:(:( Big time :(

cassP Contributor

ask them to make unagi ( or anago) with a little salt water instead of the sweet soy sauce. Not the same but close!

thanku so much! i was under the assumption that most places have it already marinated... maybe even shipped that way??? but i'll keep that in mind for sure B)

kenlove Rising Star

Some do but many don't -- it depends on the quality of the restaurant. I'm spoiled because I trained as a chef in Japan and usually had to prepare fresh anago You can buy frozen eel in many bigger Asian markets. If soy is in a marinade it would have to be on the label although I feel safer reading the Japanese than the English translation. If you can find it, you can try it yourself in the broiler.

take care

thanku so much! i was under the assumption that most places have it already marinated... maybe even shipped that way??? but i'll keep that in mind for sure B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived