27 replies to this topic

#1 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:02 AM

This is exciting. :D She is on my local news this morning. They will be taste testing gluten-free cakes.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

This is exciting. :D She is on my local news this morning. They will be taste testing gluten-free cakes.

I have her book on my wish list...just need to find something else to order to get free shipping (not usually a problem for me). :P
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 Herself59

Herself59

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:46 AM

Ann Byrn was on a local radio talk show here this week and she convinced a non-Celiac host that gluten-free can be tasty. I need to find a couple more books to order thru Edward Hamilton to justify the shipping costs. Are there other gluten-free cookbooks any of you can recommend?

Holly

#4 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

One of my neighbors gave me that book to give to my daughter.
She had made a gluten-free and a regular strawberry cake and the host liked the gluten-free better.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#5 Herself59

Herself59

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

I received my copy of this book this week and the recipes all look so good and easy to make. One note, this is a dessert cookbook and all recipes start with a gluten-free boxed cake mix, usually yellow. The only items from scratch are the icings, glazes and fillers.

Holly

#6 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

I received my copy of this book this week and the recipes all look so good and easy to make. One note, this is a dessert cookbook and all recipes start with a gluten-free boxed cake mix, usually yellow. The only items from scratch are the icings, glazes and fillers.

Holly

Glad you mentioned that - boxed cake mixes are such a turn off for me - definitely will not be getting this book! Love to bake/cook from scratch.

The Culinary Institute of America's gluten-free baking book is good - it includes recipe for cannoli, yeast/other breads, eclairs, bagels and so on. One of my favourites! Also like Annalise Roberts' book.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 aeraen

aeraen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

Glad you mentioned that - boxed cake mixes are such a turn off for me - definitely will not be getting this book! Love to bake/cook from scratch.

The Culinary Institute of America's gluten-free baking book is good - it includes recipe for cannoli, yeast/other breads, eclairs, bagels and so on. One of my favourites! Also like Annalise Roberts' book.

Thank you for the recommendation. I just ordered it from my library. :)

#8 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

Thank you for the recommendation. I just ordered it from my library. :)

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it. It contains so many recipes I have not seen elsewhere before and is written by a chef who really knows food science and what he is doing. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#9 Herself59

Herself59

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

Glad to be of help. I mostly quit baking from scratch about 25 years ago, probably because somewhere deep down I realized everything was having an adverse effect on me, and switched to mixes for what little I did bake. These days for purposes other than baking I am learning to use the substitutes for wheat flour. Some of the sauces look a little strange without the opacity but their flavor has been declared delicious by my husband, so we have basically become a totally gluten-free household. The one thing I do want to find is a good bread recipe. I never was a big bread eater but I use it for hot browns, meatloaf and stuffing so it cannot be sweet. The other thing I would like a tried and true recipe for is angel food cake.

Holly

#10 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

I have the Culinary Institute book, but never use it. Many of the recipes are very complex and call for ingredients that I can't find.
I love the Cake Doctor book. I'm going to make the carrot cake today.
Another book I like is Carol Fenster's 100 Best Gluten Free Recipes.

#11 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

OH!! Angel food cake...I had the worst craving for it yesterday! Is there such a thing as a GOOD gluten-free angel food cake?
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#12 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

I have not yet tried making gluten-free angel food cake. Roben Ryberg has a recipe for angel food cake in The Gluten-Free Kitchen and http://www.food.com/ has a few recipes. Plus I saw this one on Taste of Home (it had great reviews):

Gluten-Free Angel Food Cake Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
  • 3/4 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup white rice flour
  • 1/4 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/4 cup potato starch
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Assorted fresh fruit, optional
Directions
Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, flours and potato starch together twice; set aside.

Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.

Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.

Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Top with fresh fruit if desired.

Yield:
16 servings.
Sylvia

#13 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

Holy smokes...I wonder if this works? I might have to try this in the very near future. Thank you so much!!
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#14 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

Holy smokes...I wonder if this works? I might have to try this in the very near future. Thank you so much!!

You're welcome...you'll have to let us know when you make it. Now I'm hungry for angel food cake!!!
Sylvia

#15 Herself59

Herself59

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

Sylvia, this looks like a wonderful recipe and I cannot wait to try it. The only other one I had found called for brown rice flour and I find that rather gritty, or at least what our local co-op carries in bulk is.

I also had no idea Taste of Home was now providing gluten-free recipes. I used to enjoy their magazine and still use a number of recipes from it, my favorite being green pepper steak which I converted from slow cooker to stove top. And it has always been gluten-free, even before I realized I needed that, as it is thickened with corn starch and I serve it over rice.

Holly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: