This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kelp Vs. Spirulina

Lalama

Lalama Apprentice

I was wondering if any of you would suggest Spirulina for hypothyroid as a pose to iodine? My thyroid hormone is only slightly off and the doctor prescribed kelp. I am trying to stay away from too much iodine however due to d.h. I realize the Spirulina contains some idoine but not as much. I have also heard that iodine in the long run may not be good for hypothyroid (which I read about in the book Why Am I Still Having Thryoid Symptoms). Any advice in general on treating Hypothyroidism naturally would greatly be appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

I was wondering if any of you would suggest Spirulina for hypothyroid as a pose to iodine? My thyroid hormone is only slightly off and the doctor prescribed kelp. I am trying to stay away from too much iodine however due to d.h. I realize the Spirulina contains some idoine but not as much. I have also heard that iodine in the long run may not be good for hypothyroid (which I read about in the book Why Am I Still Having Thryoid Symptoms). Any advice in general on treating Hypothyroidism naturally would greatly be appreciated!

its only my guess that Spirulina would not do much at all to help... isnt Spirulina good for vitamin A &/or vitamin K? but i dont know about iodine. kelp is great for iodine.

so how off were your numbers???

now let me just share my AMATEUR opinion. from what ive learned from doctors i respect, and a recent visit i had with an alternative doctor-> the thyroid needs the iodine to function. this alternative doctor gave me a tincture bottle with Liquid Iodine. i take 3 1/2 droppers a day. (on top of my Armour). im also eating 3 Brazil Nuts a day for the Selenium. (selenium helps calm down any thyroid antibodies, and helps u convert your T4 to T3.

back to the iodine. there MUST be a difference in the sources & quality of iodine- because ive taken fucus bladderwrack (kelp) and now this iodine liquid- and none of my DH spots have activated. NOW- when i was on Synthroid & Cytomel- i did have a few instances where the DH on my forarms erupted into a FIREY HOT pain for about a day. so, idk what to tell u... the thyroid DOES need the iodine.

also, are you gluten free?? gluten can trigger and aggravate those antibodies (both for hypo & hyper). also Fluoride leaches iodine out of the body making it hard for the thyroid to work.. and also cyanide & ciggarette smoke can be anti-thyroid.

did that help? sorry i blabbed so long

Lalama Apprentice

Thanks for your response! I am gluten free and casein free. My blood work for thyroid came back in the normal range-but I had all the symptoms of hypo and 5 people in my family have it). I went to a naturopatic doctor and he tested my thyroid using a meriden stress analysis and found my thryoid to be slightly weak and told me it was primary hypothyroid. Many of my family members with underactive were treated with synthroid and iodine-which helped in the beginning but then as time went out things got worse. A friend of mine suggested I read this book that said for those with Hashimotos-that iodine use should be avoided. So after reading the book and seeing my family members getting worse I was thinking of going a different route and treating it naturually-but not so sure yet. It talks a bit about it on this site... Open Original Shared Link

cassP Contributor

Thanks for your response! I am gluten free and casein free. My blood work for thyroid came back in the normal range-but I had all the symptoms of hypo and 5 people in my family have it). I went to a naturopatic doctor and he tested my thyroid using a meriden stress analysis and found my thryoid to be slightly weak and told me it was primary hypothyroid. Many of my family members with underactive were treated with synthroid and iodine-which helped in the beginning but then as time went out things got worse. A friend of mine suggested I read this book that said for those with Hashimotos-that iodine use should be avoided. So after reading the book and seeing my family members getting worse I was thinking of going a different route and treating it naturually-but not so sure yet. It talks a bit about it on this site... Open Original Shared Link

ill check that link after i eat... but the doctors that i respect totally say the iodine helps. my suspicion lies with the Synthroid.. so many people have gotten worse on Synthroid-> whether they also have Grave's like me? or they have a RT3 problem, or if Synthroid really is as bad as all the health people are saying.. idk..

but ill look at that link in a bit. i think dr. oz said the same thing about avoiding iodine- but i also dont agree with everything he says...

and- I SPOKE TOO SOON-> today my R forearm has been erupting with DH :(

cassP Contributor

ok, read some of it.. im not so sure im sold on it- yet i am concerned. his reasoning that the iodine activates the TPO enzyme and therefore aggravates the antibodies... it sounds plausible and scary.. but isnt it possible that it activates the enzyme to work- and then if they thyroid is working, then the antibodies would calm down, no?

to me it's like- u know: L-Glutamine & Butyrate help the small intestine cells to work better.. but this doesnt mean that they overstimulate our ttg or antigliadin... it just helps our actual cells work.

idk?

also- his one story about the patient who had her Hashimoto's antibodies at 128 or something... and the doc wanted her to take Synthroid- but she refused, and then opted to take Kelp... then her antibodies shot up another 100 points... i would assume this is because she did not take the T4 supplement- and so her TPO antibodies went up because her thyroid was continuing to struggle to fight to make the hormone... and the more inflamed the thyroid gets- the more the antibodies flare up. that would be my take on it.

there's also other things involved that aggravate those antibodies- eating gluten/wheat or soy... smoking.. fluoride..

?? idk,.... i hope he's not right, because i am taking the iodine at the moment. the DH is really annoying.. as long as im not covered in purple/red spots like on internet pics- im just going to accept it for now... my Hashi & Grave's antibodies were way way higher than my ttg... so its a priority for me.

Lalama Apprentice

also- his one story about the patient who had her Hashimoto's antibodies at 128 or something... and the doc wanted her to take Synthroid- but she refused, and then opted to take Kelp... then her antibodies shot up another 100 points... i would assume this is because she did not take the T4 supplement- and so her TPO antibodies went up because her thyroid was continuing to struggle to fight to make the hormone... and the more inflamed the thyroid gets- the more the antibodies flare up. that would be my take on it.

That's a good point-it is really difficult to figure what the root cause of that would be. It's hard when everyone is saying something different...so I decided to take the Kelp but at a lower dose then the doctor told me to take and i'll see how it goes. I have had a little bit of a dh break out...but I'll take it day by day for now. And of course will be sticking to dairy, gluten and soy free diet.

cassP Contributor

That's a good point-it is really difficult to figure what the root cause of that would be. It's hard when everyone is saying something different...so I decided to take the Kelp but at a lower dose then the doctor told me to take and i'll see how it goes. I have had a little bit of a dh break out...but I'll take it day by day for now. And of course will be sticking to dairy, gluten and soy free diet.

have you had your antibodies tested???? what were all your thyroid numbers like??? have you been officially diagnosed? or does your doc just think you have a "sluggish" thyroid???

there are all kinds of things to take for the thyroid besides just something with iodine. like i said- im eating 3 brazil nuts a day for the selenium. selenium lowers the antibodies & helps your body convert T4 to T3. avoiding gluten & soy helps the thyroid too.

there are more things to take- but i am avoiding them for now- because they can drastically affect your TSH number- and im still working with my Endo for the right med dosage. those supplements are:

L-Tyrosine

L-Carnitine

Guggul

my bff who has all the symptoms, but her TSH is "normal" so the doc wont help her or test her TPO antibodies... she bought a natural dessicated thyroid supplement at Whole Foods and has been taking that- but i am sure that will affect her numbers too.

good luck :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lalama Apprentice

have you had your antibodies tested???? what were all your thyroid numbers like??? have you been officially diagnosed? or does your doc just think you have a "sluggish" thyroid???

there are all kinds of things to take for the thyroid besides just something with iodine. like i said- im eating 3 brazil nuts a day for the selenium. selenium lowers the antibodies & helps your body convert T4 to T3. avoiding gluten & soy helps the thyroid too.

there are more things to take- but i am avoiding them for now- because they can drastically affect your TSH number- and im still working with my Endo for the right med dosage. those supplements are:

L-Tyrosine

L-Carnitine

Guggul

my bff who has all the symptoms, but her TSH is "normal" so the doc wont help her or test her TPO antibodies... she bought a natural dessicated thyroid supplement at Whole Foods and has been taking that- but i am sure that will affect her numbers too.

good luck :)

To be honest, I'm not sure what my numbers were? My primary care doctor told me they were normally and my naturopath doctor told me it was a bit sluggish. I am going to look into a selenium supplement and ask my doctor about that. I had symptoms like hair thinning, cold hands and finger nails breaking and I use to have fatique ecspecially in the morning-but that has gotten a ton better since gluten free.

I appreciate your advice though-I don't want to mess around with my body when things are only a little off. There are so many other ways to treat...just need to do a little research. Time will tell=)

cassP Contributor

To be honest, I'm not sure what my numbers were? My primary care doctor told me they were normally and my naturopath doctor told me it was a bit sluggish. I am going to look into a selenium supplement and ask my doctor about that. I had symptoms like hair thinning, cold hands and finger nails breaking and I use to have fatique ecspecially in the morning-but that has gotten a ton better since gluten free.

I appreciate your advice though-I don't want to mess around with my body when things are only a little off. There are so many other ways to treat...just need to do a little research. Time will tell=)

just be careful with the selenium- you can overdose on it!

cassP Contributor

okay- its sunday night, and ive been on the net.. cause im suffering big tonight-

still confused as ever... but ive been reading tonight that excess iodine suppplementation is a big no no for Grave's and sends them into overdrive (and ive got Grave's :( ) ive been major HYPERTHYROID past 2 days :(

but Iodine supplementation can reverse Fibrocystic Breast (which i have really bad)... in fact it is extremely common for Hypothyroid women to also have Fibro Breast- because both are associated with Iodine deficiency.

great... now what am i supposed to do???? i need some magic witch doctor to kill off all my Grave's antibodies- so i can just concentrate on the Hashi... i seriously feel physically bipolar- and cant breathe most of the time :(

Lalama Apprentice

I'm sorry to hear that-that's frustrating. I feel like I need to be my own doctor everytime I go to the doctor. That's interesting about the connection with thyroid and fibroids because I had a fibroid removed from one of my breasts about 3 years ago-before knowing my thyroid was off. I noticed that since cutting out refined sugars and dairy (in addition to gluten)to stablize my blood sugar that this issue has improved somewhat.

Also, this is kind of interesting-I have a friend that swears by unrefined Coconut oil. I have been doing some research on Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and how it can help balance the thyroid out. I occasionally use it for cooking-but was thinking to experiment with adding a little bit to my diet each day to see if this helps to give my thryoid the extra boost it needs. I'm not going to go crazy-but in healthy amounts and it has a lot of other benefits as well, check it out.

My doctor also told me to do cardio at least 3 times a week and to keep my heart rate up for at least 20 mins...normally I just walk a mile a couple times a week. I guess intense workouts are really good for hypothyroid. So I just started that-I guess it's a matter of, a little bit of this and a little bit of that ;)

OlyHiker Newbie

I

cassP Contributor

I

Lalama Apprentice

what in the WORLD???? really???? this is the FIRST time i have ever heard anything remotely negative about spirulina... im so confused

Archived