6 replies to this topic

#1 emce

emce

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Hi! i was diagnosed back in October due to DH and tummy troubles. I'm getting better each day and trying to make my way through all the gluten free and dairy free (yes i got double duty!) world.
my question is, i'm invited to a wedding of a good friend in a few months and am wondering what to do about the food. i would feel uncomfortable telling my friend what i can and can't eat and what should be served at her wedding. lol. but would it be rude to ask the server how the food was prepared? would it be rude of me not to eat? what do i do?

thanks for your help! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kate79

Kate79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'd tell your friend and see if the menu could accommodate you - or see if parts of the menu (salad, grilled meat, etc.) are safe. I expect a lot of caterers are familiar with gluten issues - I'm planning my own wedding right now and I've found that to be the case. And after all, if you were severely allergic to peanuts or some other food, you'd tell your friend rather than go into shock, right? This is the same thing - you don't want to spend the whole reception in the bathroom. If they can't accommodate, eat before hand, or you could ask if you could bring your own food so you can have a meal with everyone at your table.

#3 Jill0711

Jill0711

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

Another option would be to find out the name of the person or place catering it and speak with them directly. You can ask how things are prepared ahead of time. This way your friend doesn't have to worry about handling it. I have a friend with celiac disease and the one time we went to a wedding together, the caterer even made her a special plate and brought it right out of the kitchen covered. I would still bring food as a backup, but I do that on a daily basis :lol: I'm paranoid of getting hungry and cheating...and regretting it.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

I had this issue at my daughters wedding not too long ago. While the person that catered the wedding said everything would be gluten free since I had a long drive the next day I wasn't sure I wanted to risk it. I ate before I went and made sure I had something in my room at the hotel and then ate mostly the fruit cup at the wedding. They were more than happy to refill it when I asked. One thing that will help out a lot is if you are traveling to the event get a room that has a kitchenette or at least a fridge and microwave. I brought my own toaster along, pnut butter, bread, fruit and Dinty Moore beef stew with a pot to heat it in. Don't worry about offending anyone if you don't eat the food that is served as chances are everyone will be so caught up in the days activities that no one will notice anyway.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 diane64

diane64

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

I have been to 2 weddings since my diagnosis. Both times the caterer was more than happy to provide a gluten free meal. I spoke to the brides ahead of time. I didn't have an appetizers or desserts, and my meal was plain, but I still had fun and was able to eat!

Hi! i was diagnosed back in October due to DH and tummy troubles. I'm getting better each day and trying to make my way through all the gluten free and dairy free (yes i got double duty!) world.
my question is, i'm invited to a wedding of a good friend in a few months and am wondering what to do about the food. i would feel uncomfortable telling my friend what i can and can't eat and what should be served at her wedding. lol. but would it be rude to ask the server how the food was prepared? would it be rude of me not to eat? what do i do?

thanks for your help! :)

#6 emce

emce

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

These are all great suggestions. i will try to get the name of the caterer. thank you so much for your ideas!

#7 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

I like to just go ahead and contact the caterer directly so the bride doesn't have an extra thing to worry about. I've never come across one who wasn't accommodating.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: