53 replies to this topic

#1 melly

melly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:29 PM

Hello, my name is Melly. I technically won't be a teenager till the sixteenth of October. I found out that I have celiac disease 2 weeks ago. I'm still not feeling well and still getting used to it. Sometimes it makes me sad seeing all I can't have and I think it would be really nice to talk to someone my age that's going through the same thing. If you are, please message me

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

Hi Melly
Welcome to the board. I am Kaiti and I am 17(18 in a few days) so I am a bit older but feel free to email or instant message me anytime if you have any questions or would like to talk.

And you can have so many good tasting things that your friends can have. For just about everything that contains gluten there is another version that does not contain gluten. You can find out what the good brands of products are on here. If your friends tasted some of these products, I bet they would not know the difference

Hang in there
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:54 PM

Hi Melly,

Just wanted to welcome you to the board...... I am waay over the hill (42) lol! so I am not anywhere near your age, but still, I am young at heart!!!!

There is a young man here named celiac3270 who is your age and is our expert, and also, he is wise far beyond his years...... I'm sure he will be posting his own welcome soon.

Any questions you may have, just post and there are a bunch of great people here who are always willing to help you along (after all, we have all been there, at the beginning, when it feels so overwhelming.....) Also, our motto here is no question is too stupid to ask - so don't feel uncomfortable with any questions you may have.....

Welcome to the board!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#4 DragonQueen

DragonQueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:35 PM

Hi Melly :)

Welcome to the boards. I'm fairly new on these boards too. How old are you specifically? I've been on the diet for a couple weeks now, I don't think its a bad diet. Some of my favorite foods are gluten-free :lol: heres a list of some of them: Original Lays stacks, cheetos, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and these peanut butter cups (like reeses pieces) that you can find at a Trader Joes. Theres alot of sweets that are gluten-free :P
~Kayla Wayla~
Caesin free 2005
gluten free 2005

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:23 AM

There is a young man here named celiac3270 who is your age and is our expert, and also, he is wise far beyond his years...... I'm sure he will be posting his own welcome soon.

Lol :lol: . Hi Melly,

Welcome to the board... I'm 14... and was diagnosed a year and a half ago. Read the board and you'll probably find everything you've wanted to know--and a lot that you didn't :lol: --about celiac. Ummm...oh yeah, there's lots of junk food we can have--gluten-free doesn't mean junk free. And I have lists to back it up. Well, I have lists for everything :lol: : mainstream food lists, medication lists, vendor phone number lists, ingredient lists, candy lists (actually, more candy is gluten-free than not), you name it and I have a list...so if you want a 70-some odd page food guide to help you as you start the diet, I can e-mail you that. Also, here is a good ingredient list from this site: http://www.celiac.co...-59105193589.8f

Feel free to e-mail me. It's a huge challenge at first--not knowing what's gluten-free and what you're going to eat since the selection seems so small. Then there's the often disappointing stage in which you try gluten-free foods and get really down when you try some of them...and the whole thing is confusing because it seems to happen so quickly. I can relate... ;)

No question is too stupid to ask. LOL Kaiti, Karen, anyone who was there--I'm having flashbacks to the last time I said that under the Crest toothpaste thread. :lol:

-celiac3270

#6 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:25 AM

Welcome!
There are tons of yummy foods that we can have. I know the diet is overwhelming and discouraging at first and it's easy to feel like you can't have anything. But like Kaiti said, you can find a gluten-free alternative to almost anything. For example, you can still have foods like chocolate, ice cream (if you're not lactose intolerant), pizza, spaghetti, angel food cake (which I'm going to make with strawberries very soon!), pie, brownies, cookies, ect. I've had the gluten-free version of most of these foods and they all taste the same or better than gluten food.

Here are some good gluten-free brands:
Pasta - Tinkyada (comes in all the common pasta shapes)
Bread - Kinnikinick, Sterks, Glutino (toasted is best)
Pizza Crust - Glutino, Sterks, Kinnikinick
Browies and cookies - Patsy Pie
*I've heard that Kinnikinick makes good donuts but have never had them myself
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#7 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:29 AM

No question is too stupid to ask.  LOL Kaiti, Karen, anyone who was there--I'm having flashbacks to the last time I said that under the Crest toothpaste thread. :lol:

-celiac3270

LOL :lol: :lol:
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

#8 melly

melly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:22 AM

Hi Melly :)

Welcome to the boards. I'm fairly new on these boards too. How old are you specifically? I've been on the diet for a couple weeks now, I don't think its a bad diet. Some of my favorite foods are gluten-free :lol: heres a list of some of them: Original Lays stacks, cheetos, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and these peanut butter cups (like reeses pieces) that you can find at a Trader Joes. Theres alot of sweets that are gluten-free :P

thanks specifically I am 12 and i will not be 13 till october 16 thats in 13 weeks 5 days 11 hours 40 minutes 38 seconds. How old are you?
ps I heared that we cant have cheetos but you say we can

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:37 AM

We can have Cheetos :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Arkansas

"One Nation, Under God"

#10 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:53 AM

Hi and Welcome

My name is Molly and I just turned 15. When I first came to this board I was for sure the youngest and couldn't relate to anyone really. That was like 3 years ago or so, I really don't know. I was diagnosed when I was 20 months old and don't remember what gluten foods taste like becasue I was so little. I don't know if I have the best tasting food but my mom does make really good bread and you can find the recipe on this website.
You can have a lot of junk food, and yes Cheetos are gluten-free, so are a lot of other Frito Lay products. They have a gluten free list on their website which is nice and they also list if it contains wheat in the ingredients or not. All Wonka candy except for the chocolate bar are gluten-free(at least they were a year ago) but they label if it contains wheat or not too.
You can e-mail me or IM me any time if you have questions.
Molly

#11 melly

melly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:28 PM

so if you want a 70-some odd page food guide to help you as you start the diet, I can e-mail you that. 

thanks celiac3270 if its not too much trouble

#12 DragonQueen

DragonQueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 02:37 PM

Carriefaith, Did you just say ANGEL FOOD CAKE! :P :P :P I'd for sure like to get the recipe for that. I'm elevan and my B-day is on December 29th.
~Kayla Wayla~
Caesin free 2005
gluten free 2005

#13 melly

melly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:39 PM

dragon queen are you turning eleven or twelve "How old are you specifically"

#14 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:45 PM

thanks celiac3270 if its not too much trouble

Sure...just get me your e-mail address (through a post, personal message, or e-mail) --we can't post attachments on here. ;)

#15 melly

melly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:51 PM

Sure...just get me your e-mail address

can't you just click on the button w/ the envelope on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: