26 replies to this topic

#1 kaki_clam

kaki_clam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:27 AM

Last night I dreamt of Burger King Whoppers, Greasy Sweet and Sour Chicken with Pork Fried Rice and two egg rolls on the side....and Beef Wellington. With the exception of the Beef Wellington, which I have never had and only seen on episodes of Hell's Kitchen, I am easily able to make my own "whoppers" and my boyfriends says my gluten free chinese food is wayyyyyy better than take out! (he's right, it is really good) The problem is...it's all so much work. I just want to get me some take out...plop down in front of the tv and dig in. I live in a small town. There were three resturants that offered more than a plan burger patty and a baked potato with no sour cream and no butter on their "gluten free" menus....two of them have glutened me so that leaves just the one left.....Red Robin's..and although I love them, I want different. (if any of you live near a red robins..try them out, they are awesome and fall all over themselves everytime to ensure your meal is gluten free...you can even have the french fries!!!!!!)

So, this rant comes down to this....what will happen if I go out and get me some take out? I have been gluten free for 17 months (i just counted that out..didn't realize it had been that long)...and except for like two mistakes when i first started all those 17 months ago, I have been completely gluten free....I have never cheated. I am sure since I haven't eaten a whopper in so long I won't even like it....probably take two bites and chuck it....but if i do get it and i do eat the whole thing...bun and all (because it's not really a whopper without the bun)....how sick is it really going to make me?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:48 AM

Well everyone is different but for me that would mean a migraine that lasts for days, a bout of severe, and I mean suicidal depression, followed by a few weeks of increased anxiety, a flare of my joint and muscle pain, severe stomach pain followed by severe painful D a day or two later with bleeding for three days after, a breakout of blistery lesions, brain fog and other neuro impact.
Would that be the effect for you? I don't know as I don't know what your reactions to gluten are. When you have been accidentaly glutened what has been your reaction? All said I would not advise deliberately glutening yourself.
Do you have a rice cooker or crockpot? You could get something going in the crockpot for days when you don't feel like cooking. Chicken and a baked potato will cook itself in the oven while you relax. Could you make extra of a few things and freeze portions for times when you don't feel like cooking? There are a lot of things you can do for those nights when your just to whipped to cook. One of my favorites is pizza. I keep a package of Kinnickinnick shells in the freezer along with Hormel pepperoni and sauce. Quick and easy.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:54 AM

ohhhhhhh i can totally relate to u- ive been thinking the same thing from time to time... wondering if one or two more cheats in my whole life would be ok.... there were so many things i never got to try :( for years i have been obsessed with the Puka Dog in Hawaii... it was on my bucket list.. and the Loco Moco.. and i never got to try them..

or that restaurant in Pittsburgh called Primanti bro... my aunt lives there, that was on my bucket list too- they use Italian bread for the sandwiches & stuff them with french fries :(

its tempting- because in the past- i COULD handle small amounts of gluten- i didnt have to run to the bathroom.. but even tho i would feel ok- i knew from observing my bathroom visits- that Lymphocyte stuff was going on... and towards the end- my reactions became more and more severe- the last time i ate (before going gluten free)-> i felt like i was going to have a heart attack..

& on top of that- ive also got Hashimoto's & Grave's- both affected by gluten

but dont think i dont daydream about indulging sometime... :( :blink:
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#4 StacyA

StacyA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:09 AM

The first year I would wonder the same thing, but this celiac has wreaked havoc on my short-term memory - so I don't worry about back and stomach pain after getting glutened - I can handle that - I worry about small permanent lesions in my brain.

But on another note, can you PLEASE share any secrets you have with chinese food!! Every attempt of mine fails miserably. I tell my husband it's the MSG the restaurants use that makes their food taste better (MSG gives me a headache). In particular, I really miss the noodles with veggies from Mongolian Woc at the mall.

#5 kaki_clam

kaki_clam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:53 AM

The first year I would wonder the same thing, but this celiac has wreaked havoc on my short-term memory - so I don't worry about back and stomach pain after getting glutened - I can handle that - I worry about small permanent lesions in my brain.

But on another note, can you PLEASE share any secrets you have with chinese food!! Every attempt of mine fails miserably. I tell my husband it's the MSG the restaurants use that makes their food taste better (MSG gives me a headache). In particular, I really miss the noodles with veggies from Mongolian Woc at the mall.

I have a chinese food cookbook, one that is paperback that i bought by the registar at Michael's Craft store. It is at home and I am at my boyfriends, but I have made a note to get the name of it for you and will post it as soon as I get home next week. For noodles I use rice noodles http://www.(Company ...e/dp/B000H27I4C this brand...i get them at the grocery store for like 1.99..i eat them a lot because they are cheap. I also add frozen veggies to them, i like the thai blend that I buy at Wal-mart, they don't have sauce on them...just plain veggies, and then you can add any of these sauces also available at the grocery http://www.san-j.com...t_list.asp?id=2 for a quick meal (not sure if they are MSG free).

#6 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

So not worth it.
I have been gluten free 2 years now and had a craving the night before for a maple bar. Uhh, what was I thinking. I had 3 bites, that was it. Three bites couldn't hurt.
Here it is 2 nights later and i'm finally starting to feel a bit better. 2 hours after i had those three bites, felt like someone was stabbing me in the stomach with a knife. I was bent over double. Gas bad. Diareha most of the night. Fatigue, migraine, depression, and very irritable most of the day yesterday. Today, slight headache, cotton mouth, sore, queasy stomach and some fatigue.
Will not be doing that again.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#7 aeraen

aeraen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

:channeling Mike Brady: "When you cheat, you only cheat yourself." :

This is one of those instances where that advice is so spot on. The aching sides, multiple rushes to the bathroom, not wanting to go out incase I need a bathroom RIGHT NOW, are simply so not worth it to me.

While there are things I miss, and as I said in an earlier thread, I miss convenience the most, I just feel so healthy now, I can't imagine giving that up for a piece of bread.

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Me? I may as well eat poison. Cramping, D for 4-6 hours, wake up the next morning exhausted and spend the next 2-3 days having panic attacks. Then the canker sores will break out in my mouth and I'll have those for a week. Totally not worth it.

In truth, I know all this from taking risks at restaurants and getting glutened. You'll only know how sick it will make you if you try. If you are gluten intolerant rather than celiac, it isn't terrible for you to do the experiment and find out. If you're diagnosed celiac, it's a bad idea as each glutenening triggers autoimmunity and damage.

#9 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

If you are gluten intolerant rather than celiac, it isn't terrible for you to do the experiment and find out. If you're diagnosed celiac, it's a bad idea as each glutenening triggers autoimmunity and damage.

Based on what I've read, it can cause as much damage if you are non-celiac gluten-intolerant. You will still trigger an immune reaction - just not to your villi. If you are gluten intolerant, your immune system puts on an attack to the gluten you've ingested. Celiac is just another form of gluten-intolerance - not necessarily a worse form of it. Damage can still occur despite whether you have celiac or not. That's just based on what I've read, though...
Suzanna

#10 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

I tried that about 8 months of being gluten free by eating a donut and within an hour I had the worst flu like symptoms for the next 3 hours (vomiting/diarrhea) and in bed for another 2 hours. It made me so sick I would never do it again. I have been hit hard twice again on top of the first time and I still don't understand how it hits me so hard vs how others are affected. My body just tries everything it can to kick it back out of me and it's NOT fun!

#11 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

Based on what I've read, it can cause as much damage if you are non-celiac gluten-intolerant. You will still trigger an immune reaction - just not to your villi. If you are gluten intolerant, your immune system puts on an attack to the gluten you've ingested. Celiac is just another form of gluten-intolerance - not necessarily a worse form of it. Damage can still occur despite whether you have celiac or not. That's just based on what I've read, though...

Of course there is an immune reaction; that's the whole reason intolerance exists. Thing is if a person isn't celiac (which can be difficult to determine as the tests aren't great) the immune reaction appears to be transient inflammation rather than autoimmunity. If you're gluten intolerant and eating gluten all the time, the inflammation can be very troublesome. There are a lot of people here who know how bad chronic gluten-caused inflammation can be. Thing is, if you're gluten intolerant and have one fast food meal because you're testing your body's reaction, you may make yourself spectacularly sick but you're not going to create chronic inflammation from one meal.

There is a different issue at stake though, and it's the one a lot of people react to without realizing it. If you "cheat" once, are you going to do it again? And again? Knowing your reaction to gluten is important, as it helps you determine when you've eaten it by mistake. On the other hand rationalizing cheating over and over as "testing" will only make you sick again. We all struggle with this so whenever someone mentions cheating, there is a big backlash on the board. We are all fighting for willpower and self control in the face of pizza, donuts, and oreos, and it helps us to reinforce our own self control by responding to these threads. B)

#12 RahCreature

RahCreature

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

is it worth it? Not to me I am tempted daily by my evil sweet tooth and pizza loving tummy but then I remember the 3 days of sleeping next to the toilet ( I have since bought a bucket) the brain fog and the fear of eating. I just order the burger with no bun it is not the same but it scratches the itch

#13 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:22 AM

I never liked that stuff very much anyway, that you listed.

Gaaah.

:wacko:

#14 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:11 AM

Amy's has some wonderful gluten free frozen dinners that fulfill my need for convenience food. Yummy, filling and not as expensive as many gluten free frozen meals.

For me cheating is not an option I get neurological problems with gluten exposure. For me it's totally not worth it. I think of gluten as a deadly poison.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#15 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:10 AM

Of course there is an immune reaction; that's the whole reason intolerance exists. Thing is if a person isn't celiac (which can be difficult to determine as the tests aren't great) the immune reaction appears to be transient inflammation rather than autoimmunity. If you're gluten intolerant and eating gluten all the time, the inflammation can be very troublesome. There are a lot of people here who know how bad chronic gluten-caused inflammation can be. Thing is, if you're gluten intolerant and have one fast food meal because you're testing your body's reaction, you may make yourself spectacularly sick but you're not going to create chronic inflammation from one meal.

....We all struggle with this so whenever someone mentions cheating, there is a big backlash on the board. We are all fighting for willpower and self control in the face of pizza, donuts, and oreos, and it helps us to reinforce our own self control by responding to these threads. B)

I haven't read that anywhere. My reading (and I only got my information from Healthier Without Wheat) suggests that gluten intolerance involves an immune response that involves JUST AS MUCH RISK as the one from celiac. The only difference being in celiac disease the immune system also attacks the villi. Any sort of chronic inflammation (which would also occur in a gluten-intolerant person) can lead to symptoms and diseases that are too long to list here. Based on the book I'm reading celiac disease is only one form (or one end result) of gluten intolerance and both should be treated with the same stringent adherence to a gluten-free diet. One is not more severe than the other.
Suzanna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: