2 replies to this topic

#1 Judy3

Judy3

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

I buy my spices for cooking and baking at The Spice House here in Wisconsin. I order them online and was grateful to find this message on their website today.

Gluten and Allergen Information
The Spice House seasonings are gluten free!

Due to increasing awareness of gluten-related health issues, we've worked to eliminate wheat gluten from our products. We heard from customers that gluten-free spices can be hard to find, especially spice blends. As more people cut gluten from their diets for health or allergy reasons, we wanted to provide a source for premium-quality spices that we could guarantee did not contain gluten. We've replaced the wheat in the few recipes that used it with corn masa, switched to corn flour-based smoke powders, and made sure our extracts, which are on grain alcohol bases, are certified wheat gluten free. Two products we carry that do contain wheat are asofoetida, used in Indian cooking, and Classic French Demi Glace. Both of these are unusual in that they come to us prepackaged. This is good as there then is no risk of cross contamination with the seasonings we blend. Our Glace de Canard Gold (Duck Sauce) is our only product that contains soybeans. Again this product is prepackaged.

http://www.thespicehouse.com
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenGladi8or

GlutenGladi8or

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

I am a HUGE proponent of visiting your local spice shops where they blend their own spices. Not only do they know what is and is NOT gluten free, they make suggestions for your specific favorites.

As you may or may not know, I am a huge carnivore. With that said, I have a number of meat specific gluten-free spices for each of my favorites: flank steak, pork chops, pork tenderloin, and even buffalo & bison.

This is where I go locally:

www.savoryspiceshop.com

I always say add flavor and not fat!

The GlutenGladi8or
Brian Gansmann
20+ years of Food Marketing Experience
Specializing in Organic & All Natural Foods

#3 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

I buy my spices for cooking and baking at The Spice House here in Wisconsin. I order them online and was grateful to find this message on their website today.

Gluten and Allergen Information
The Spice House seasonings are gluten free!

Due to increasing awareness of gluten-related health issues, we've worked to eliminate wheat gluten from our products. We heard from customers that gluten-free spices can be hard to find, especially spice blends. As more people cut gluten from their diets for health or allergy reasons, we wanted to provide a source for premium-quality spices that we could guarantee did not contain gluten. We've replaced the wheat in the few recipes that used it with corn masa, switched to corn flour-based smoke powders, and made sure our extracts, which are on grain alcohol bases, are certified wheat gluten free. Two products we carry that do contain wheat are asofoetida, used in Indian cooking, and Classic French Demi Glace. Both of these are unusual in that they come to us prepackaged. This is good as there then is no risk of cross contamination with the seasonings we blend. Our Glace de Canard Gold (Duck Sauce) is our only product that contains soybeans. Again this product is prepackaged.

http://www.thespicehouse.com

Thank you for sharing this! I live close to Milwaukee & will check it out.

I love to cook (and eat :D ) so this is great news!
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
- Charles Darwin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: