7 replies to this topic

#1 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

My son was recently diagnosed with celiac. We have been going gluten free at home but we are a family who eats out alot and especially when we are away at the arena for hockey games. But we have been avoiding eating out because it is too overwhelming just yet. But we are heading to Hamilton for a hockey tournament during March break and I'm a little nervous being away from home for a weekend. I have been told that swiss chalet would be a good choice and that pizza pizza and boston pizza have a gluten free pizza. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated espesially for the Hamilton area.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

Pizza Nova also have a gluten-free crust available. I have not tried it. The Pizza Pizza one is okay, but I much prefer the Boston Pizza one.

Swiss Chalet is everywhere, and the rotisserie chicken is gluten-free, as is the dipping sauce (but NOT the gravy). The fries are not on the gluten-free list because a few small locations share fryers, but in full-sized ones with table service you should find a dedicated fryer.

McDonalds can provide some options. For breakfast, you can order the Big Breakfast without the English muffin. Some locations will allow you to substitute a second hash brown at no additional cost. The eggs, sausage patties and hash browns are gluten-free. All McDonalds locations, even small ones, have dedicated fryers for potato products.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Thanks Peter for the advise :)

#4 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Mmmmmm Swiss Chalet is gluten free? I am visiting Toronto in July and haven't been back home in many years. My mouth still waters when I think of Swiss Chalet. You can be sure that I will be having all the quarter chicken white with extra dipping sauce that I can get in three days!!!! Their fries are the best.. even better than McD's. Thanks for the good news! :)
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#5 brittanymaine

brittanymaine

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

Swiss Chalet's fries are fried in the same oil as chicken fingers, and their baked potatoes are not gluten free, they brush them with oil that is also used on items that contain gluten.

I am from Hamilton so I know quite a few places that are gluten free. Jack Astors has a gluten free menu, just be careful with the nachos- they say they are gluten free but they are fried in the same oil as chicken fingers.

The Keg also has a gluten free menu, a bit more fancy but you can get a really nice meal.

Montana's also has gluten free choices, their potato skins are and they are amazing

Wendy's has gluten free choices- chili, baked potatoes, hamburger patty, salads, frostys.

#6 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:09 AM

Swiss Chalet's fries are fried in the same oil as chicken fingers, and their baked potatoes are not gluten free, they brush them with oil that is also used on items that contain gluten.

I am from Hamilton so I know quite a few places that are gluten free. Jack Astors has a gluten free menu, just be careful with the nachos- they say they are gluten free but they are fried in the same oil as chicken fingers.

The Keg also has a gluten free menu, a bit more fancy but you can get a really nice meal.

Montana's also has gluten free choices, their potato skins are and they are amazing

Wendy's has gluten free choices- chili, baked potatoes, hamburger patty, salads, frostys.

Thanks Brittany we were there on the weekend and had such a good time. We ate right at the hotel to have more time in the pool and just had plain steak and potatoe he loved it. We also hit Boston Pizza and he didn't even want the gluten free pizza he wanted moms special salad with grilled chicken. It is huge and he ate the whole thing practically! lol

#7 brittanymaine

brittanymaine

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

That's good! I'm glad you got along well, it really isn't as hard as it seems. I travel a lot too and it is pretty easy to find items to eat! Where are you from?

#8 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

That's good! I'm glad you got along well, it really isn't as hard as it seems. I travel a lot too and it is pretty easy to find items to eat! Where are you from?

I am just North of Barrie near Wasaga Beach :) We went to Swiss Chalet and Mc Donalds today for the first time :) He had a chicken wrap with out the wrap ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: