This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More (Silly?) Questions From A Newbie!

jo-marnes

jo-marnes Rookie

Hi everyone,

So my bloodwork says celiac, awaiting endoscopy in next few weeks, so still eating gluten but trying to get my head around all things celiac in an attempt to be in some way prepared for going gluten free. My history is that celiac was detected after a food allergy screen due to 3 occasions of stomach pain. Other than that, no symptoms to speak of. Since blood tests, periods have stopped (malabsorption or low weight - not sure), I'm aware of bloating, always thought my memory and brain fog were just the way I am.... maybe now not so sure. Anyway, a few questions I need help with please;

1) Is amount of gluten eaten proportionate to the body's reaction? I.e. If I ate something with a trace of gluten, would my body react the same as eating a bowl of pasta? Please note I do not intend to do this... I'm just assuming it will happen by mistake!

2) How much MORE at risk am I of getting some kind of related cancer than a regular person?

3) Aside from bloating, which does not happen all the time, I do not really have many symptoms. How will I know if I've accidentally eaten gluten? Once going gluten-free, do you become more sensitive to it? Or will I just never know?

And in a case of really bad timing, I'm due to go back to my homeland of the UK for Easter with this new diagnosis. 4 weeks of living with friends and family who, as yet, don't know about this and I will have to not only try and explain what it is, why I've 'only just got it' and yet also educate at the same time. DREADING this. Feel like I may as well go back with 'freak' tattooed on my forehead. I don't know enough about it to answer their questions, I won't be able to eat what they make, I won't be able to dine in restaurants where we will be taken. I won't know where to get certain products and I certainly won't have my own toaster/ utensils/ pans to use at everyones houses. What do I do (apart from cry??!)

Thanks,

Jo xx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

1) Is amount of gluten eaten proportionate to the body's reaction? I.e. If I ate something with a trace of gluten, would my body react the same as eating a bowl of pasta? Please note I do not intend to do this... I'm just assuming it will happen by mistake!

For a lot of us a trace will make us just as sick. Reactions do differ for some folks though. I can't say how your body will react but it is better to be super strict at first to allow the antibodies to resolve

2) How much MORE at risk am I of getting some kind of related cancer than a regular person?

Once you have been on the diet and healed your chances of getting a celiac related cancer will be no greater than the non-celiac population.

3) Aside from bloating, which does not happen all the time, I do not really have many symptoms. How will I know if I've accidentally eaten gluten? Once going gluten-free, do you become more sensitive to it? Or will I just never know?

It is fairly common for us to have a more noticeable reaction once we have been gluten free. There are some who are not as sensitive but many times once you have been gluten free you will be able to notice a definate pattern to being glutened. Reactions can be delayed for a day or two as the antibodies can take some time to build up. Sometimes things that we might not think are related to gluten like headaches, rashes, difficulty with thinking (brain fog) fatigue may be come obviously related to gluten exposure.

kareng Grand Master

there are people on here from the UK. Maybe you could post a topic asking for where & what to get. If you don't mind, tell them what city so you can get more specific info.

You can get " toaster bags" that you put bread in. You could get gluten-free bread & toast it that way. I assume they use aluminum foil? You can use it to cook with. Line a pan, cover a potato, etc.

See if this link will work. They are called Toast It. Google that for the bags. I was able to find some at a specialty kitchen store & saved shipping.

Open Original Shared Link free.com/index.cfm?dsp=public.products.detail&keyID=74592&gdftrk=gdfV22677_a_7c1014_a_7c3797_a_7c74592

That didn't work. I googles " toaster bags for gluten free"

India Contributor

Hi Jo,

I'd recommend reading around on this board as much as possible - it's the best source of information I've found.

I live in London so do message me if I can help at all with UK advice. Labelling for gluten is pretty good over here, especially supermarket own brands. A few places - Wetherspoons, La Tasca etc - label menus with gluten-free options.

I also carry around my own food kit - chopping board, knife, snacks etc - and make my own picnics if I don't know that I can rely on finding safe foods.

Good luck!

Archived