#1 India

India

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:03 AM

Hi all,

I've just lost most of another afternoon flaked out on the sofa, which isn't how I like to live. I'm trying and failing to figure out my many food intolerances. Two things I haven't tried cutting out are potatoes and rice (white rice, anyway - I think brown makes me tired). I can't tolerate grains such as teff and millet, though I do eat buckwheat crackers (does that count as a grain?)

Rice and potatoes are pretty much my staple diet, but I know that's not healthy and I know that people on here have issues with one or both. The question is, without carbs, will I have any energy? I've never been convinced by Dr Atkins! And what do people on grain free diets eat?

Thanks for any advice,

Tired lady

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy
Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mcc0523

mcc0523

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:14 AM

Try http://www.marksdailyapple.com for a primal based diet.

The "diet" (lifestyle or way of eating is more accurate) is meats, veggies, and healthy fats (coconut oil, butter, animal tallow are all great; processed vegetable oils {such as canola} and anything that has been hydrogenated is VERY bad). Fruits are a rare addition, although if someone is doing heavy training, say for a marathon, then it might be consumed more frequently. All grains, legumes, and sugars are discouraged if the lifestyle is followed strictly.

ETA: As far as energy goes, as long as you get a good amount of good fats, then you'll have wonderful energy levels, without the peaks and valleys that comes about with eating a carb heavy diet. I've been eating like this for the past few weeks, and I have to say that my reactive hypoglycemia has completely gone away, and I don't have periods of exhaustion. I do get tired, but one of the things that I like about this lifestyle is the notion of following the signals of your body... so if I'm tired, I'll rest. But I don't have to rest for several hours at a time to see results. Sometimes, all I need is a 30 minute nap and I'm back to full force.

ETA 2: A typical day of eating is 2 jumbo eggs and 2-4 servings of veggies (this morning was asparagus and brussel sprouts), and a serving of meat (usually chicken, bacon, or whatever was left over from the previous night's dinner) for breakfast. I'm not hungry at lunch normally (only on days that I'm more active than most) so I don't eat then, but if I do, it's a smaller version of my dinner. For dinner, it is a good portion of meat, and even more veggies, or a salad with mixed greens for the lettuce. Unless the veggies are raw, I will cook all of my food in coconut oil or butter, and if I'm having salad, my dressing more often than not is the left over butter or coconut oil used to cook my food.
DX: Ehlers-danlos syndrome, cervical syrinx, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, Barrett's Esophagus, GERD, osteoporosis, thyroid disease, anemia, hypokalemia, niacin deficiency, vitamin D deficiency and various other malnutritions.

Although not diagnosed officially yet, I have suspected celiac since October of 2010. At least 2 separate physicians who are experts with collagen deficiencies (such as Ehlers-danlos syndrome) have mentioned the possibility to me, and one has tested (although I haven't gotten the results back yet).

#3 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

Do you consume milk products or legumes?? both are high in carbs

If you increase your good fat consumption as your carbs go down it will truly help.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#4 India

India

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for your replies!

A1956chill - Legumes seem to disagree with me horribly but I eat a lot of dairy, which doesn't seem to bother me. I eat loads because cheese goes with almost everything and also because I have osteopenia and my GP won't prescribe supplements. So I guess I still have those carbs - thanks :)

MCC0523 - I should have mentioned that I also follow the FODMAP diet - so something with very little fruit sounds good, but I'm also somewhat restricted in what veggies I can eat. The diet does sound worth a look, though it also sounds kind of expensive. I'm especially interested in what you say as my husband has POTS and ED syndrome, like you - however, he also needs a low cholesterol diet and it doesn't sound good from that point of view - do you have any thoughts on that? It's a struggle to cook separate meals - I'm the healthier one so I do most of the cooking but I can't do too much chopping, peeling etc.

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy
Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

#5 mcc0523

mcc0523

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

MCC0523 - I should have mentioned that I also follow the FODMAP diet - so something with very little fruit sounds good, but I'm also somewhat restricted in what veggies I can eat. The diet does sound worth a look, though it also sounds kind of expensive. I'm especially interested in what you say as my husband has POTS and ED syndrome, like you - however, he also needs a low cholesterol diet and it doesn't sound good from that point of view - do you have any thoughts on that? It's a struggle to cook separate meals - I'm the healthier one so I do most of the cooking but I can't do too much chopping, peeling etc.

I think that low cholesterol diet is a BAD idea long term... cholesterol is found in almost every cell in the human body, and it is what the myelin sheath which coats the nerves (and what is attacked in MS) consists of. If one doesn't consume cholesterol, then the liver makes it, so if the diet is low in cholesterol (or good fats in general) it can overtax the liver, and other bodily functions, reducing the absorption of Vitamin D (which is made by exposure to sun, but if there isn't fats, especially cholesterol, to help with the synthesis, then it isn't used as efficiently) and hormone production and it increases inflammation. Inflammation should be more of a concern with heart disease than lipid levels. Half of people who have their first heart attack have a NORMAL (or what the FDA says is normal) lipid panel. Lack of good fats leads to inflammation, and with EDS, inflammation is a given frequent dislocations and hypermobility. Since I've started eating this way, my knees are now a normal size (the first time in over 3 years), and my pain levels, which used to hover around a 7 on a GOOD day, hasn't gone above a 5 in 2 weeks, maybe longer.

http://www.marksdail...om/cholesterol/ has a much, much better explanation of this than what I could ever do.

As far as expense, it doesn't have to be. I shop on the perimeter of the store, and I get whatever is on special with the meats, and I pick the veggies that I can tolerate. By going on special, I spent around 4 dollars for 8 lamb loin chops last week (that was the meat for 3 meals), and just under 6 for a pound and a half of salmon (4 meals). I am planning and preparing a garden right now, and for chopping and peeling, something like a Slap Chop or some other vegetable chopper and a potato peeler (mine hasn't seen a potato in a LONG time, though) are great for spending less time and energy on that part of meal preparation. And at first, I was worried about doing so much chopping and peeling, but I'm feeling better enough that it isn't a big deal as I feared it would be.
DX: Ehlers-danlos syndrome, cervical syrinx, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, Barrett's Esophagus, GERD, osteoporosis, thyroid disease, anemia, hypokalemia, niacin deficiency, vitamin D deficiency and various other malnutritions.

Although not diagnosed officially yet, I have suspected celiac since October of 2010. At least 2 separate physicians who are experts with collagen deficiencies (such as Ehlers-danlos syndrome) have mentioned the possibility to me, and one has tested (although I haven't gotten the results back yet).

#6 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

I follow a low-carb, grain-free and fruit-free diet to manage diabetes. It keeps my blood sugar nice and healthy and even so I feel much more energetic than I used to. I agree with much of what's been said so won't repeat that. As for cholesterol, I eat bacon every day and my cholesterol is great! no worries! My son's cholesterol was elevated and his pediatrician said lower the carbs!

I eat some meat(ham or turkey or broiled fish, bacon) and steamed veggies or canned pumpkin for breakfast. The pumpkin can be doctored up with "butter", "milk-coconut, almond..", cinnamon etc., muffins or bread made from flax meal or almond meal.

There is a thread or 2 here on the forum on grain-free baking/eating.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#7 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

I am a fan of the Paleo diet. I feel so much better with out all the junk. B)

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#8 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

Nuts, if you like them are an almost perfect food with the combination of good fat and protein and a moderate amount of carbs. I have been eating nuts every day for two weeks and have noticed a definite improvement in the energy level. I also have less inflammation and have noticed improvements in my hair and skin. AND I have not gained weight which I was afraid would happen.

I did Atkins years ago and during that time, had more energy than I have ever had in my life.

I eat one to two cups of nuts a day and the rest is meat and vegetables. (and a little chocolate, but don't tell anyone)

I am thinking this is a really good thing for me.

I was like you spending days unable to move, sleeping too much, tired even though eating gluten free.

Today my son came home from school and said, "hey mom, did you know that eating nuts can increase your metabolism?" I didn't know it but that is what he learned in school today. Cool! Maybe that expalins why I have more energy and don't feel so tired. I eat a handful every hour or so and have been feeling great this way.

I don't know of any downside but if there are any, it hasn't shown itself in two weeks.

Of course I'm not saying just eat nuts. But I think there was definitely something in them that my body was missing - possibly the vitamins and minerals they contain or the good fats? Whatever it is, I'm keeping it up because I feel way better in the last two weeks than I have since I first went gluten free.

Hope you feel better soon. I hate feeling tired too.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#9 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

I've been on the Specific Carb Diet for 10 months and have more energy than I've had in years! It's quite similar to Paleo. I eat quite a lot of fruits on this diet - I eat mostly fruits, vegetables, and protein. I don't eat lactose, grains, corn, soy, sugar, or starchy vegetables. Of course I don't eat gluten because of Celiac. I'm allergic to nuts, so I don't eat those.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#10 julandjo

julandjo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

If you look at my signature you'll see that I'm extremely limited. I was having a lot of trouble getting enough carbs and calories. Even with eating fruit and sweet potatoes all day, I can only eat so much before I'm getting too much fiber, which was a problem for me (40 grams a day is not good when you're only getting 1200 calories!). I ended up finding an apple juice that had zero additives - even ascorbic acid makes me sick - and now I've added 16-20 ounces of that every day. It's definitely helped.

I was always very anti-fruit juice, but you gotta do what you gotta do...
Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

#11 magnesium

magnesium

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

hi india my diet is identical to member mcc0523,i have been eating this way now for over 2 years now i will never go back eating the way i used to basically vegetarian,that made me so sick.as far as carbs go you don't need them at all i teach full time tennis and ride over 400klm on my road bike every week and my energy levels are always perfect.fat especially saturated fat is the perfect fuel gives you slow release energy all day.no blood sugar fluctuations at all.my energy is the same all day.i actually tried eating a meat only diet for 2 week at one stage and i felt great no constipation even though i was eating no fibre at all energy was fine on zero carbs.not sure if you could do this long term but i just wanted to try it.things i have learnt over the past 2 years are you don't need lots of fibre and carbs to be healthy and eating lots of fat has made me feel strong and healthy.there is plenty of research out there stating that low cholesterol is actually more dangerous than high cholesterol.hope this helps ask me a question if you like.

#12 Evangeline

Evangeline

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

I wonder if you have hypothyroidism? It is a common to have Celiac Disease AND hypothyroidism. Check out the symptoms.

If you do, you may notice a difference if you avoid ALL goitrogenic foods (they lower the thyroid). These are: Gluten, soy, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, rutabega, spinach, strawberries, peaches, canola oil, soy oil, corn oil, sweet potatoes/yams and the ENTIRE MUSTARD FAMILY. Also search Google for a complete list of goitrogens.

The fatigue usually occurs 24 hours after eating any of these foods and it can last an entire 1-2 days. Also, sometimes only a NIBBLE of these foods can cause the extreme fatigues.

#13 Mother of a Celiac

Mother of a Celiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

hi india my diet is identical to member mcc0523,i have been eating this way now for over 2 years now i will never go back eating the way i used to basically vegetarian,that made me so sick.as far as carbs go you don't need them at all i teach full time tennis and ride over 400klm on my road bike every week and my energy levels are always perfect.fat especially saturated fat is the perfect fuel gives you slow release energy all day.no blood sugar fluctuations at all.my energy is the same all day.i actually tried eating a meat only diet for 2 week at one stage and i felt great no constipation even though i was eating no fibre at all energy was fine on zero carbs.not sure if you could do this long term but i just wanted to try it.things i have learnt over the past 2 years are you don't need lots of fibre and carbs to be healthy and eating lots of fat has made me feel strong and healthy.there is plenty of research out there stating that low cholesterol is actually more dangerous than high cholesterol.hope this helps ask me a question if you like.

Hi,
I'm a mom of a 7 yr old with Celiac disease. She was diagnosed in Jan. of 2010. Almost 1 yr to the date, this past January, her symptoms seemed to return after being gluten-free for 1 yr. We know that she was not getting any gluten because her blood tests were coming back normal and we are very careful. After 3 weeks of bad stomachaches and headaches we started 2 elimination diets at the same time in order to first stop the hurting, then we would figure out which one or if both, were working. We found that she definitely has a casein intolerance now...out of the blue it seems. The second elimination was cutting out all grains and following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. All of her symptoms pretty much disappeared for 2 weeks. After which I tried to reintroduce rice to see if this could be tolerated. She seemed fine with it after eating some rice pasta, her favorite. The next day I gave her a gluten-free rice waffle for breakfast, again, she seemed fine. The following day I gave her baked french fries which she also seemed to tolerate. Then 2 days ago the stomachaches and headaches returned. Yesterday morning was the last time she had any rice, a waffle for breakfast. Since then I've taken her back off of all grains and starches, but am worried that maybe it is something else. Time will tell. I'm nervous that maybe she has another autoimmune condition that might be causing her problems. I just find it strange that she was doing fine this past year and then all of a sudden her symptoms returned with a vengence. Has anyone else experienced this?? We are all now strictly trying the Paleo/SCD diet in our house and cooking all baked goods with almond flour. It is really hard to do without the "filler" we are accustomed to ie)rice, gluten-free pasta, gluten-free breads, especially with kids. Would love any advice from others doing the same thing and if you have seen a decrease in symptoms and how long it took to feel better again. Thanks!!
Mother of a 7 yr. old with Celiac - Diagnosed Feb. 2010
Feb 2011 Started Paleo/SCD Diet for her and our household.
Daughter is gluten free, corn free, casein free, and grain free.

#14 Debbie B in MD

Debbie B in MD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:36 AM

I highly reccommend the primal diet as well. marksdailyapple.com is full of wonderful info, encouragement, and recipes.

#15 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:13 AM

Just started doing a combination of Atkins, South Beach and the Paleo diet (depends on my mood and day). I'm VERY active. Feel great, and dropping body fat like nobody's business! Highly recommend. Watch "Fathead" on Hulu. It will help explain the logic behind it.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: