This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

6 Months Gluten Free

nurse93

nurse93 Newbie

Hi all, I have not posted since Aug 2010 right after diagnosis. Its been a heck of a journey for me.Coping with the possibility of heart surgery and then celiacs. Just wanted to share some news. Had a celiac panel last week. GI doctor wanted to see how I was doing on the gluten free diet. I had mixed feelings about what the results might reveal. I have not put one thing in my mouth that I did not prepare myself or check the label carefully, except a couple of meals my husband prepared. He really is getting good at preparing meals gluten free. He has a cheet sheet with all the ingridients that are forbidden.I couldn't help wonder if the test came back elevated what I would do. I knew i was diligent with my diet, toiletries, medications etc. I though if my numbers came back elevated I might as well be eating gluten. On the other hand if they were normal I had been doing it right. Well I'm pleased to say that my tests came back negative. All levels normal. Looks like i have the hang of this. For all those just starting out it does get easier. Next I would like to try eating out. I have been putting it off for six months. I am just so afraid of getting glutened. Anyone try BJ's gluten free pizza? I think they have Redbridge beer too. Thank goodness for Redbridge beer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Hi all, I have not posted since Aug 2010 right after diagnosis. Its been a heck of a journey for me.Coping with the possibility of heart surgery and then celiacs. Just wanted to share some news. Had a celiac panel last week. GI doctor wanted to see how I was doing on the gluten free diet. I had mixed feelings about what the results might reveal. I have not put one thing in my mouth that I did not prepare myself or check the label carefully, except a couple of meals my husband prepared. He really is getting good at preparing meals gluten free. He has a cheet sheet with all the ingridients that are forbidden.I couldn't help wonder if the test came back elevated what I would do. I knew i was diligent with my diet, toiletries, medications etc. I though if my numbers came back elevated I might as well be eating gluten. On the other hand if they were normal I had been doing it right. Well I'm pleased to say that my tests came back negative. All levels normal. Looks like i have the hang of this. For all those just starting out it does get easier. Next I would like to try eating out. I have been putting it off for six months. I am just so afraid of getting glutened. Anyone try BJ's gluten free pizza? I think they have Redbridge beer too. Thank goodness for Redbridge beer.

Thanks for your post and congrats on your success with the diet. :) That is AWESOME news AND very encouraging for those of us still new (I am 2 months in).

Sorry I don't have a BJs around here to tell you if it's good or not, but hubby (who went gluten-free with me even though he didn't have to) says the Woodchuck hard ciders are good. And New Grist Beer is good, too....I am abstaining until my gut heals. :unsure:

Thanks again for sharing....and WHOO HOO for you!Enjoy your night out!! :)

JonnyD Rookie

Congrats on the first six months! I'm only 10 days into this and it's a real struggle at times. My wife and 2 yr old are not celiac so it's an adjustment for all of us.

I'm glad to hear that it gets easier. That's great that your numbers came back fine! Definitely celebrate!

love2travel Mentor

Congrats on the first six months! I'm only 10 days into this and it's a real struggle at times. My wife and 2 yr old are not celiac so it's an adjustment for all of us.

I'm glad to hear that it gets easier. That's great that your numbers came back fine! Definitely celebrate!

You and I have similar start dates! I have been gluten-free 12 days and am finding it hard because I did not have any symptoms before so I sometimes grieve what I am missing. My husband is extremely supportive but not totally gluten-free (I don't blame him). He eats what I cook and bake but he has his own cereal and bread.

As my biopsies came back showing celiac without a shadow of a doubt, it is what I must do.

Keep hanging in there! :)

jeslk Apprentice

You and I have similar start dates! I have been gluten-free 12 days and am finding it hard because I did not have any symptoms before so I sometimes grieve what I am missing. My husband is extremely supportive but not totally gluten-free (I don't blame him). He eats what I cook and bake but he has his own cereal and bread.

As my biopsies came back showing celiac without a shadow of a doubt, it is what I must do.

Keep hanging in there! :)

Looks like we are in the same boat. I am 8 days in, and have never had symptoms that I was aware of (as my signature shows, though, I've had my fair share of health issues). My husband and 2 year old still have some gluten, although not much. Thankfully, my husband is very supportive. I have to say, though, this sucks!!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

BJ's Gluten Free Pizza is an excellent choice for your first gluten free restaurant meal.

I order it to go for my son about twice a month. The crust is really good and I take a few bites, but I find the tomato sauce is a little too sweet. Last time I got myself a whole pizza and ordered it without sauce. It was excellent. I ate the whole thing. And didn't feel a bit bad afterward. We have had their pizza at least 6 times and neither my son or myself have gotten ill The first time I went I asked them to explain it to me how they keep the gluten free stuff separate and I was satisfied with the answers. Feel free to ask questions so you can relax and enjoy your meal!

But they have been really careful with our food because we haven't gotten sick.

I haven't tried the Redbridge beer.

I hope you enjoy and will post what you thought if you try it!

There is another thread about BJ's Pizza if you do a search you will find other answers about BJ's

JonnyD Rookie

Looks like we are in the same boat. I am 8 days in, and have never had symptoms that I was aware of (as my signature shows, though, I've had my fair share of health issues). My husband and 2 year old still have some gluten, although not much. Thankfully, my husband is very supportive. I have to say, though, this sucks!!

My wife and daughter still have gluten (I think that's all my daughter would eat anyway) and I don't blame them. I'm stuck with it but they don't have to be. The logistics of the whole food preparation and family meals is all out of balance but we'll settle into a new routine soon. I try to keep in mind that with all that challenges we face in life, changing what we eat is relatively simple.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My wife and daughter still have gluten (I think that's all my daughter would eat anyway)

You have had your DD tested haven't you? We can be addicted to gluten and someone who has a family history of celiac and is showing a very strong tendency to eat gluten foods may be celiac.

JonnyD Rookie

You have had your DD tested haven't you? We can be addicted to gluten and someone who has a family history of celiac and is showing a very strong tendency to eat gluten foods may be celiac.

Not yet. I just found out myself and have been gluten-free for only 10 days or so. We'll have her tested soon. She's growing fine, developmentally hitting all the milestones and doesn't show any outward signs or symptoms. She'll definitely be tested, it's just a matter of when. I plan to ask that question to my GI this afternoon. But, thanks for the input.

love2travel Mentor

It DOES suck. Definitely. I was floored and shocked when my doctor told me my blood test results were highly indicative of celiac disease (I seriously thought there was some technical error) then my biopsies confirmed what I was fearing. It is so hard to do this when I felt better pigging out on gluten. In a way it seems pointless but I know I have no choice. There is somewhat less incentive in a way; however, that does not mean I will cheat or anything. I am extremely diligent. I may as well go 100% rather than 98%.

It just doesn't seem fair at times. I hate to say it, but sometimes I wish I did not get tested, though deep inside know it is a good thing. My feelings are so mixed at this point... :huh:

SaraKat Contributor

Congrats! We got diagnosed at the same time- my bloodwork and biopsy were done in August too and I started gluten-free 9/1/10. I just had my follow up bloodwork done also and all my levels were normal/negative except the Gliadin IGG- it was slightly positive still, but much closer to normal than it was in August (went from 131 to 51- positive is above 30).

I eat out and go to people's homes to eat all the time and had 5 known glutenings in the last 5 months (my mistakes, not theirs).

I guess my point is you should definitely try eating out, since my levels are normal for the most part I think it is possible to eat out and still be gluten-free.

Congrats on your success!

Archived