Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Else Only Throw Up A Few Hours After You Eat Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 Dolphin324

Dolphin324

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

Once, after I had been gluten free for about a year (I think), my family was eating pizza and I decided, "what could one tiny slice hurt?" So I ate a few bites of one slice. I felt fine after; however, a few hours later, I threw up 3 or 4 times. And that was my only reaction. My reactions don't seem as bad as other peoples; so I'm just curious if anyone else is like this. I haven't eaten gluten on purpose since then, so I don't know if my reactions have changed or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

I have had that happen only once about 3 monhts ago when I consumed a large amount by accident. I went to Olive Garden and decided to try the gluten-free pasta. I usually have the mixed grill or the steak and steamed broccoli but I was in a pasta mood. My server clearly had NO CLUE what it meant when I told her I was ordering from the gluten-free menu. I should have asked to speak to the manager when I noticed her hesitation but I have had only good experiences at Olive Garden before this and I knew that the gluten-free pasta was premade and just heated in a microwave in it's own little pouch. So I figured it would be hard to mess up. The salad came out with no croutons just as I had requested. Then my pasta came out. I tasted it and it was really good, actually I was surprised that the flavor was really familiar...it was NOT gluten free! I asked my husband to taste it just to make sure I wasn't imagining things. After all, it had been over a year since I had wheat pasta but he had eaten wheat pasta more recently and would know the difference...My husband tasted it and confirmed that if that was gluten-free pasta, it was the best tasting gluten-free pasta he had ever tried. I ate a few more bites hesitantly and then started to feel sick. By the time we got home from dinner I was running for the bathroom to throw up. I spent the rest of the night violently throwing up. Even worse, I had all my typical glutening symptoms the next day despite the throwing up. :(
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 hnybny91

hnybny91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

I got glutened at Carrabbas off of their gluten free menu (I suspect the cook put the grill sauce on my chicken)and I threw up half way through my meal! Wierd thing is, I was known for NEVER throwing up in my gluten eating life so now that I am gluten free I throw up when I get glutened. I think your body just says, "WHOA! I thought we got rid of this crap already! Let's get it out PRONTO!"

#4 nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

I haven't been diagnosed with anything at this point, but throwing up is something I've been doing about once or twice a week for the last year or so..since cutting out gluten I haven't had to once....hmmmmmm

#5 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

I usually do about two hours after and get really sick to where I need to stay in bed for at least 4 hours. It usually hits me about an hour after eating. Not fun at all! It's probably best because if I just had diarrhea from eating wheat, I would probably cheat.

#6 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

I've only just started the gluten-free diet, so I don't know what my symptoms of being glutened are yet, but my pre-diagnosis symptoms involved a lot of acid reflux and the strong desire to vomit--even burping up chunks of food. but I have practically no gag reflex, so that might explain why I never actually vomited. (I can reach my finger all the way down the back of my throat--past the end of my tongue--without gagging at all.)

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#7 gleegan

gleegan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

I got glutened at Carrabbas off of their gluten free menu (I suspect the cook put the grill sauce on my chicken)and I threw up half way through my meal! Wierd thing is, I was known for NEVER throwing up in my gluten eating life so now that I am gluten free I throw up when I get glutened. I think your body just says, "WHOA! I thought we got rid of this crap already! Let's get it out PRONTO!"

Thanks for this; it makes me feel better. I had Indian food last night, which is usually not a problem. I've been gluten-free for 6 years and have never thrown up, but I did last night after feeling very nauseated. It kind of freaked me out, but I guess my body just wanted to get rid of the gluten as you say. But I had D not long before I threw up, which IS normal for me after I've eaten gluten. I am so careful that maybe my body just reacts in this violent way now on the few occasions I ingest gluten...
Self diagnosed because the doctors couldn't/wouldn't.

Dairy free - 2006
Gluten free - 2007
Soy free - 2008
Yeast free - 2009
Sugar free - 2009 (even cut out all fruit for a year, but now able to eat many fruits again)

#8 OmgTaylor

OmgTaylor

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Yeah, I tend to throw up when I've eaten a lot of gluten. When I first got diagnosed I remember going through my cabinets checking labels and it finally clicking in my head why I was throwing up after I ate certain things; they all had gluten!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: