15 replies to this topic

#1 zus888

zus888

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

I'm so bummed to discover that the pills I just started taking have gluten in them. These pills have been a lifesaver for me. They are marketed as diet pills, but, really, they are just a bunch of stimulants. I do need to lose weight, and that would be great if they worked in that regard, but the amount of energy and motivation I have when taking them more than makes up for their failure as a weight loss pill. Are there any pills out there that are gluten free and give you energy? I need something to replace these pills. I am good for NOTHING when I cannot take them.

Ingredients:
Citrus Aurantium (Bitter Orange) (synephrine extract 30%), Acacia Rigidula (95%), Phenylethylamine HCL, Pure Organic Green Tea (45% Epigallocatechin Gallate) (ECGC), Theobroma Cocoa, Kola Nut Extract (Natural Caffeine), Guarana Extract, Yerba Mate Extract (Polyphenols), Naringin, Ma Huang (Ephedra Extract), Yohimbine HCL, Alpha-Yohimbine, 11-Hydroxy Yohimbine

Other Ingredients:
Microcrystalline Cellulose, Dextrose, Sodium Starch Glucolate, Magniesium Stearate, Stearic Acid, and Silica

Stupid starch is the problem ingredient. :angry:
Suzanna

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

Oh man, I realize how this is going to come across but here I go anyway. I think you should be getting energy from the foods you eat.
Another thing that really helped me was upping my vitamin D and B. I live in the great white north and this winter was crushing me. My yoga instructor (I know I know how I'm coming across here) recommended taking more vitamin D and within one day I was feeling so much better. :-)

#3 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

I will have to second the D and B-complex and for good measure throw in a good multi too. This has helped me so much to regain my energy.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#4 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

I take a prescription prenatal multi-vit, so I should be ok on the vit front. Also, I've been tested for my vit d levels and they are always normal.

I can't deny that I don't always make the healthiest choices in my food consumption, but even when I do eat well, it doesn't make a difference. Additionally, on the two occasions that I was given a B12 shot, it made no difference whatsoever in my energy. I just need the stimulants. I don't drink coffee or drink much soda, so my caffeine intake is pretty low.
Suzanna

#5 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

I'm so bummed to discover that the pills I just started taking have gluten in them. These pills have been a lifesaver for me. They are marketed as diet pills, but, really, they are just a bunch of stimulants. I do need to lose weight, and that would be great if they worked in that regard, but the amount of energy and motivation I have when taking them more than makes up for their failure as a weight loss pill. Are there any pills out there that are gluten free and give you energy? I need something to replace these pills. I am good for NOTHING when I cannot take them.

Ingredients:
Citrus Aurantium (Bitter Orange) (synephrine extract 30%), Acacia Rigidula (95%), Phenylethylamine HCL, Pure Organic Green Tea (45% Epigallocatechin Gallate) (ECGC), Theobroma Cocoa, Kola Nut Extract (Natural Caffeine), Guarana Extract, Yerba Mate Extract (Polyphenols), Naringin, Ma Huang (Ephedra Extract), Yohimbine HCL, Alpha-Yohimbine, 11-Hydroxy Yohimbine

Other Ingredients:
Microcrystalline Cellulose, Dextrose, Sodium Starch Glucolate, Magniesium Stearate, Stearic Acid, and Silica

I 'googled' starch glucolate and found this definition: "Sodium starch glycolate is manufactured by carboxymethylation of starch. Starch is a polysaccharide of glucose, a long chain of glucose molecules linked together. The carboxymethylation process increases the ability of the starch to absorb water, making it a rapid distintegrant." So starch glucolate is not made from wheat or any gluten containing grain.

However, if you need energy and have excess weight, you might have your doc check your thyroid function (TSH, free T3 and free T4). Low energy and difficulty losing weight (as well as low body temperature and constipation) are symptoms of hypothyroidism. Many celiacs also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which causes hypothyroidism.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#6 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

Well, then, I wonder what ingredient in there has gluten if that one doesn't. <_< I called and they said it wasn't gluten free, after spending 3 weeks researching it.

I have my thyroid checked regularly to make sure my meds are at the correct dosage. Still doesn't remedy the tiredness and my inability to ever feel warm.
Suzanna

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

I take a prescription prenatal multi-vit, so I should be ok on the vit front. Also, I've been tested for my vit d levels and they are always normal.

I can't deny that I don't always make the healthiest choices in my food consumption, but even when I do eat well, it doesn't make a difference. Additionally, on the two occasions that I was given a B12 shot, it made no difference whatsoever in my energy. I just need the stimulants. I don't drink coffee or drink much soda, so my caffeine intake is pretty low.

If you are still healing you are going to be fatigued in a lot of cases. Have you tried Royal Jelly? If your not allergic to bees it might be something to try. Also get a good sublingual B12 and take it daily as you likely are not absorbing it from a swallowed pill. How much sleep are you getting? Some need more sleep than others especially when in the healing stages. If you need an alarm clock to wake you up you may not be getting enough sleep.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

Well, then, I wonder what ingredient in there has gluten if that one doesn't. <_< I called and they said it wasn't gluten free, after spending 3 weeks researching it.

I have my thyroid checked regularly to make sure my meds are at the correct dosage. Still doesn't remedy the tiredness and my inability to ever feel warm.

if your thyroid checkups are "normal", but you're still tired and cold- it's quite possible that your numbers are in fact not normal-> many doctors still think if your TSH is below 5.00 than you're fine... when in fact- if it's not below 3 or 2, you could still be suffering.
or, its possible that you are only on a T4 supplement and that your body may need some T3.

also, dont wanna sound like a mom- but please do not take that ephedra- it will mess your heart up, seriously. in China they only take ephedra for 3 days only for asthmatic issues.

i understand being tired & having a sluggish metabolism- in fact i used to drink like 8-10 shots of espresso in a day- untill i got too much anxiety- (while still being tired)- now, i know that i must have been self-medicating to counteract my thyroid disease

can u just drink green tea??? it makes me vomit- but if you feel fine, you should drink it- its so healthy.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#9 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:39 AM

Maybe I'll call the doc to find out what the latest thyroid results were and ask about the symptoms I continue to have.

You all aren't the only ones that don't want me taking that peppy pill. My running partner is beside herself that I cannot take it due to my diet. :rolleyes: The thing is those pills make me feel NORMAL. I can't tell you how productive I am when I take them. I go from being a practical zombie, unable to accomplish even the simplest tasks like laundry, going through the mail, etc to plowing through all the stuff I need to do, like normal people who keep up their house and chores. It's like a light bulb came on when I took them and I could see how I had been living my life, and how much better it could be. :(
Suzanna

#10 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:10 AM

That zombie feeling was how I felt for years. Going gluten free helped a lot. But I still am trying to figure my whole diet picture out. I have days I have a ton of energy and days I just crash. I don't know if this is just part of the normal healing process or if something else is going on. Anyway, if I was needing drugs to feel normal, I'd take that as a sign that my health needed some more looking into. I used caffeine for years. I spent years being absolutely mystified that other women could work, keep a clean house and prepare meals. Well, it still mystifies me a little, but I know I was operating at about 60% and calling it normal. I hope you get your situation figured out. The speed is not the way to go.

#11 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

That zombie feeling was how I felt for years. Going gluten free helped a lot. But I still am trying to figure my whole diet picture out. I have days I have a ton of energy and days I just crash. I don't know if this is just part of the normal healing process or if something else is going on. Anyway, if I was needing drugs to feel normal, I'd take that as a sign that my health needed some more looking into. I used caffeine for years. I spent years being absolutely mystified that other women could work, keep a clean house and prepare meals. Well, it still mystifies me a little, but I know I was operating at about 60% and calling it normal. I hope you get your situation figured out. The speed is not the way to go.

Boy -I can so relate to that! Before I was diagnosed I was drinking "energy drinks' every day and all day to get normal everyday things done. I used to wonder how my friends could work, raise a family, clean and cook dinners and not drink caffeine like I was. I did this for years! I used to live on processed TV dinners because I was always too tried to make anything. Now, I feel so much healthier. I no longer need caffeine to get me going -it's so nice! And if I start to feel tried it's usually because my thyroid hormones are off, vitamin deficiency or maybe I just need a day off. :)
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

#12 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

Ugh. I totally feel you. I've always been an extremely low-energy person, to the point where I have to say no to a lot of socializing and staying-up-late that should be a normal part of the college experience. I am an introvert, but more of one than I'd like to be. And I feel like I hardly get anything done because I'm always needing to nap if I try reading or doing homework when in such a fatigued state.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), caffiene makes me drowsy and sick, so I can't rely on it to help me at all, not even when I'm at my worst. What does help me is getting 8-10 hours of sleep a night, rationing my energy wisely (doing important things first, like homework), taking vitamins with iron, and making sure I eat plenty of protein throughout the day. Also, cutting back on computer time, esp. before bed, helps a lot. (sleep hygiene etc)

Granted, it doesn't make me normal. I'm hoping gluten-free will tho. I also ordered some sublingual liquid B12 so I'll be seeing if that works and maybe can report back on it later.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#13 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

Ingredients:

Other Ingredients:

Hi Zus7888!
Once you heal you won't need this drug at all and you'll probably lose weight naturally being gluten free! I totally agree with everyone hear that this drug can't be good for you. Sorry... But, I would look at other vitamin deficiencies. I would ask your doctor recheck your thyroid hormones and all your vitamins. You could be deficient in Iron, D, B12, B6 or K.

And while your gluten free and healing, your body will start to absorb more nutrients and Thyroid medicine. I had to keep on getting my blood work checked every eight weeks. I kept getting hyperthyroid because my intestines were healing. I started at 137 mcg-daily -Levoxly 17 months ago. Now I take less than 100 mcg (6 days a week). It goes to show you how much this disease effects our absorption issues.

Pretty soon you'll be feeling good as new with out these diet pills! :)
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Be careful with ephedra. It has been banned and unbanned numerous times. It can be dangerous. If you are drinking multiple doses of this for energy you might want to go with coffee instead.

http://www.nutrition...ra-dangers.html

It's important to note that ephedra gained its primary claim to fame as a weight loss supplement and is often times used in combination with caffeine containing herbs to achieve better results.

However, the better effectiveness of ephedrine-caffeine combinations in promoting weight loss is offset by the potential ephedra dangers and side effects.

Ephedrine-caffeine combinations at appropriate dosages can be used safely by most people, but it should never be taken at higher dosages than recommended unless directed by a physician.

The possible common ephedra side-effects of ephedrine-caffeine combinations include anxiety, nervousness, nausea, heart palpitations, sweating, increased blood pressure, dizziness, increased heart rate, and falling asleep difficulties.

It is recommended that anyone using ephedrine-caffeine combinations monitor both their heart rate (pulse) and blood pressure and discontinue use if there is an increase in heart rate (72 beats a minute) and/or an increase in blood pressure (120/80 mm Hg) to avoid ephedra dangers and side effects
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#15 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

Maybe I'll call the doc to find out what the latest thyroid results were and ask about the symptoms I continue to have.

You all aren't the only ones that don't want me taking that peppy pill. My running partner is beside herself that I cannot take it due to my diet. :rolleyes: The thing is those pills make me feel NORMAL. I can't tell you how productive I am when I take them. I go from being a practical zombie, unable to accomplish even the simplest tasks like laundry, going through the mail, etc to plowing through all the stuff I need to do, like normal people who keep up their house and chores. It's like a light bulb came on when I took them and I could see how I had been living my life, and how much better it could be. :(

u know what also helps with energy (healthy energy)- is NONI juice- i used to take that daily- i would get the Tahitian noni (name brand with blueberry nectar), OR the one from Vitamin world (with Agave or Raspberry Nectar)... all the other brands taste like $*** or battery fluid.
Anyways- i used to take about 1 tbsp to a 1/4 cup every morning. and you're supposed to wait 30min to an hour before coffee or food. it really does help- in fact- i took my dose at night one time- and i couldnt sleep all night. and if i had a sore throat, or if i was hungover- i would drink about 8oz.. the stuff was incredible and so hydrating.
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: