#1 K8Hanna

K8Hanna

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

Hi everyone,
I am new to this whole Celiac thing... I tested positive for with the bloodtest and had an endoscopy done last week, which I am still waiting on the biopsy results, but the dr strongly suspects Celiac because of the way my small intestines looked.

I have seen a lot of stuff talking about weight loss and Celiac but very little about weight gain. I am 24 years old and until I was 18 years old I was a size zero but once I hit 19 I gained around 70 lbs and now am a size 15. And no matter what I do I can't seem to shed the weight. I have not started a gluten free diet yet, because I haven't gotten the biopsy results back yet and I am having a hard time letting go of all the foods I love. But I work out 6 days a week and I diet, eating a small breakfast, salad for lunch, and a sensible dinner. It just seems like there is nothing I can do to lose this weight and I was wondering if there is anyone out there experiencing the same thing?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

Hello, and welcome.

Good news for you - there are just as many overweight celiacs who can't lose as there are skinny celiacs who can't gain. Getting rid of the gluten usually allows your metabolism to adjust and get back to your normal weight over time.

Now that you have had all your testing (positive) there is no reason not to start the gluten free diet immediately and start healing :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 K8Hanna

K8Hanna

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hello, and welcome.

Good news for you - there are just as many overweight celiacs who can't lose as there are skinny celiacs who can't gain. Getting rid of the gluten usually allows your metabolism to adjust and get back to your normal weight over time.

Now that you have had all your testing (positive) there is no reason not to start the gluten free diet immediately and start healing :)

Thank you! That is good to know! I really felt like I was alone. And until I learned about the Celiac I could not figure out why the weight wouldn't come off! Did you see a nutritionist to learn how to figure out what has gluten and what does not? I've read that it is even in artificial flavoring and coloring. The list of foods with gluten is intimidating and I feel like I don't know where to start. Th grocery store has about 3 feet of a shelf with gluten free stuff which doesn't give me a lot of variety :(

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

...what has gluten and what does not? I've read that it is even in artificial flavoring and coloring. The list of foods with gluten is intimidating...

Get an up-to-date list of safe and unsafe ingredients. Many things which were once thought to be unsafe are now recognized as safe. Wheat used to be able to hide in things, but today wheat must be clearly disclosed on the label. The risk today is hidden barley, and even that is not common.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 etta694

etta694

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

I found that my 'craving' for food changed and I am more easily satisfied now that I eat gluten free... I still need to lose weight though.
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#6 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

Just to encourage you on the weight thing.

I was normal thin most of my life but when I started getting sick I gained weight to 180 lbs. in a matter of months. I stayed that way and was unable to lose for several years.

I went gluten free 5 months ago. I lost weight rapidly and in a few months was back to 120 which I thought was my normal weight. I have continued to lose and now am 115 lbs, and my muscle tone is also improving. My metabolism has completely changed and I eat as much as I want to with the only exception being that it is gluten free.

Gluten was the cause of all of it.

Hope your weight gets to where you want it on going gluten free.

It made all the difference in the world for me.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#7 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

I thought this topic would be an entertaining read.

http://www.celiac.co...__1#entry676891

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#8 AmandaM83

AmandaM83

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

I thought this topic would be an entertaining read.

http://www.celiac.co...__1#entry676891

i have been gluten free for 4 months an haven't lost any weight - in fact I've gained! My clothes don't fit different so I'm assuming I'm actually gaining muscle FINALLY but i weight 217 and should weigh around 175-180. Any thoughts, any one have this experience?

#9 nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:10 PM

This is interesting to me. I too was a size 0 and am now gaining...i was on a gluten free diet only 2-3 weeks (started gluten again in prep for testing) but i didnt notice rapid weight loss (besides some bloat around belly)......does this mean it wont happen even when i'm gluten free? or does it just take time to adjust? soooo frustrating

#10 K8Hanna

K8Hanna

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I am hoping to see changes soon! Good luck to everyone with the same issues, I know how hard it is!

#11 Karla01

Karla01

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

I have been gluten free for 7 months and have gained weight also, very depressing. I have been working out atleast 4 times a week but nothing is helping. I hope I start to lose weight soon, I read that healing time is different for everyone. I hopes an it starts and I begin to lose weight. Listening to everyone is encouraging.

#12 ali_squidz

ali_squidz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

I have lost 15 lbs in the first two months of my gluten and dairy free diet. Once you remove those two huge portions of your diet, you start to look at whole foods like meats, veggies and fruits. Back to the basics I guess. I track everything online so I know where I am at for calories. It is such a drastic change, I feel like I have forgotten how to eat. If you want to lose weight, get an online diet tracker like www.sparkpeople.com or www.anytimehealth.com and see what you are taking in and burning up. It puts you in control with quantitative numbers to visualize. I have another 15-20 to go, want to join me? :-)

#13 annegirl

annegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:25 AM

To the OP - yes there is hope! I was under 100 pounds until about 16 when I started gaining weight up to my heaviest of 184. I would diet, using the South Beach diet and feel great losing all the weight, but that was with exercising 2+ hours a day. Of course once I added wheat back in I felt terrible and gained the weight back so fast it was crazy.

I have been gluten free since February 1, 2011 and added in some other "frees" along the way. As of this morning I've lost 20 pounds and that's been without counting calories or restricting what I was eating, besides the gluten free etc. I finally have the energy and stamina to get up off the couch so I've added in some moderate exercise 20-30 minutes a day usually.

One thing you really want to watch out for is all the gluten free stuff. Luckily for me most has either soy or corn so I couldn't eat it if I wanted to. The gluten free foods can be higher in calories, sugar and fat than the normal stuff so be careful and aware!

The best way to approach the diet (in my opinion) is to try and add more naturally gluten free items into your diet. Go for the fruits, veggies, lean meat etc. And try new stuff! I'm actually eating a better, more varied diet now because I am paying attention.

I'm an optimist so I've tried my hardest to find the "happy place" in all of this. Mine is that I feel great, I'm losing weight and I know I'm being good to my body now. My Dr commented that at the rate I'm going I will live to be 110! Good luck on your gluten free journey! Try and find the positive things. I even started a blog so on the days I feel down and sorry for myself I can remind me of the positives.
Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Corn, Coffee, Caffeine, Pork Freeeeeee

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

#14 GlutenFreeJess

GlutenFreeJess

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2008, and I am also overweight. I too was under the misconception that most Celiac's are underweight.

You're not alone!
~Jessica~
---------
Dx: Celiac Disease '08, Hashimotos Thyroiditis '08, Diabetes '07, TMJD '07, Fibromyalgia '08

#15 CruiseWriter

CruiseWriter

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

I, too, am large.......went from a size 10 to a size 18-20, although I walk 45-60 minutes a day and use hand weights. I have thyroid issues, too. All my weight is in the middle and I tested negative for Celiac but I started gluten-free diet today because this feels like a death sentence to me. Can't find clothes to fit an athletic, shapely figure with wide hips, a booty and stomach to match. I finally faxed my GI this evening, told him something was really wrong with me and I was going gluten-free. I also asked him to give me something to help the weight loss along. Lap band surgery is looking appealing these days. :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: