This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overweight With Celiac

K8Hanna

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

With no processed foods, can I ask what you eat for breakfast? I've been having a smoothie with a banana, 3 froEn strawberries, 1 cup almond milk and a scoop of raw protein powder( that tastes like you know what). O add 1 splenda packet to make it drinkable( want to get another brand with stevia in it, but this stuff was expensive and I can't waste it). After I drink that I'm STARVING in an hour.

Lunch is usually a sandwhivhes on udi's bread.

I'm in a rut. What are the alternatives?

Breakfast: eggs cooked however you like them? Nuts with fruit? Latkes (potato, egg fry like pancake)?

Lunch:leftovers from dinner? Roast a chicken and freeze it, take out pieces and eat with veggie smoothie, fruit, nuts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Reba32 Rookie

I started on the Atkins diet, and that's how I found out I have Celiac disease! The early phases totally eliminate all grains from the diet, and I felt so good after the initial withdrawl symptoms (about 4 or 5 days) that I figured something was up!

"The New Atkins For a New You" book was released last spring, and it's really easy to follow the plan now, and learn how to make it a life style change. You wouldn't be able to eat the manufactured Atkins foods though, as they are not gluten free, but the diet's origins back in the '70s didn't include them, it's basically a whole, natural foods plan. And their community forums are full of recipes and tips and hints to help you along.

I lost 30+ pounds, and made it a life style choice to eat a healthy diet, with very few processed foods, and mostly fresh, whole natural foods.

I was old, fat and constipated when I found out I had Celiac. I wasn't what most doctors would consider a "candidate" to be tested, as most still think you have to be young and skinny with diarrhea. Although I was skinny when I was a kid, and I'd always had Celiac symptoms, I was always misdiagnosed.

• 1 month later...
Kathy59 Rookie

I have gained weight since going gluten-free; however, after reflecting on some of my food choices...I think I have figured it out...I am currently off loaded baked potatoes! LOL! I was going to the store and getting potatoes, cheese, sour cream, and bacon bits (real)..eat those 2 times a week, plus a coke...plus, I was binging on the pasta, once I found one I liked...so I am back to moderation...not going to be real serious until warmer weather, cause winter is the time of soups and filling food. Warmer weather I can do all types of salads and lighter foods. Love tuna salad in a fresh garden tomato....

• 2 weeks later...
pixter Newbie

This is really fascinating to me. I've not been able to lose weight no matter how extreme diet and exercise most of my life. I actually gained when dieting and doctors never believed me. The best I did was atkins induction until half a graham cracker and a drink of beer I bloated up 2 sizes in a day and stayed that way. Now I know it was gluten. Since going gluten free about a month ago I have lost the bloat in my upper abdomen and some weight I'm sure. Don't have a scale anymore. I had a gallbladder attack that led to me figuring out I'm sure I have celiacs. No insurance so I won't be getting tested (also be giving myself a pre-existing condition) I am eating more of the processed breads and stuff because I cut out meat,eggs,dairy and most things on the gallbladder avoid list. Normally I eat more low carb and very little sugar. I'm adding meats and eggs in slowly and doing fine. The last thing I gave up after the gallbladder thing (which I realize now is the rib pain I've had for years) was gluten and all the pain went away in my gallbladder area, and the rest of my body. My dad wasn't much older than I am when he died from colon cancer. This forum is great I am learning so much and there are other people going through what I've been going through.

burdee Enthusiast

I'm having a hard time losing weight too.

I'm 5'10 and at the moment yoyo between 165-170 lbs :angry: which is about 25 lbs more than I want to be.

When I was diagnosed in December, I was hopeful that the weight would just come off by itself, but that hasn't happened.

My Dr thinks that once my gut heals, it will be easier for me to lose.

I also have Hashimoto's and even with thyroid meds it just is harder to lose weight than it used to be.

If I'm honest, I have to admit that many days I consume too many calories to lose.

I tested positive to gluten, casein, eggs, soy and yeast. That combination makes it hard to find something to just grab and eat. I love Lara bars and they have been my quick go-to snack of choice and because they taste so good (especially the cashew and pecan ones) I often eat one or two even if I'm not hungry. They are around 200 calories each and that adds up. A couple of glasses of wine at night

also don't aid with weight loss.

Keeping a food/drink journal for a few days helps me realize that I often mindlessly consume more than I think.

I think that I just need to get better organized and pre-plan my meals and snacks so that I'm not caught hungry with nothing ready to eat except Lara bars :P

I have diagnosed allergies to gluten, casein, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. However I know I have many more choices that Lara bars and wine. What about all the unprocessed fruits, vegies, meats, poultry, fish, legumes, nuts and gluten free grains. I've been diagnosed with those allergies for the past 5 years and haven't gained (or lost) huge amounts of weight. I agree that you need to get organized and plan your meals (as well as shop for a better (healthier) variety of foods. I really don't need to snack because I eat satisfying meals 3x daily.

I don't spend a lot of time cooking, but I cook in bulk (planned leftovers) when I do cook. I make 'tv dinners' with leftovers and freeze those for future (ready to microwave) meals. I make hot cereal with nut milk, nut butter and fruit or a gluten-free English muffin with peanut butter and fruit for breakfast. Lunch is often a peanut butter and fruit rice tortilla wrap and fruit. Dinner can be anything from meat and vegies to casseroles to soups (doctored up canned soups or from scratch soups). I can't find many ready to eat frozen meals, because most contain at least one of my allergens. So I make my own frozen meals from leftovers. I cook from scratch about 5-6 times a month and eat 'planned over' frozen meals on the other nights.

AVR1962 Collaborator

My weight has been real consistant until I started getting sick and then I started gaining. I recall going to the doc and telling him I had gained 5 lbs in one week and had not really changed my diet, he blew it off, it was only 5 lbs. That year I gained something like 20 lbs and it didn't stop. I thought it was stress. I went from my usual 125 to 160 and while that doesn't seem much to some, it was alot for me and docs were not alarmed. I would try to cut back and I was exercising and I found myself hunger. A diet coach one tie asked me if I felt hungry on what I was eating. I thought she was out of her mind, of course I was hungry. I have had my thyroid tested and it always comes back good. I was told it was age and that my metabolism was slowing down.

All said and done when I went off gluten I went from my 160 to 145ish in 8 months with little effort. I no longer feel hungry, no longer have weird food cravings. My body was starved of nutrients and so my brain was sending me messages to eat. I still have a long way to go, on lots of vits right now to feed my body what it needs.

rom Newbie

My daughter has been a celiac for a year and her waist is so big. Am really concerned as she has hit puberty. She started getting big around the age of 9 and now weighs as much as me and i am at least 10 kilos overweight. She refuses to exercise as she is always too tired and is as stubborn as can be.

how long does it take for the effects of the gluten take to reverse?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Reba32 Rookie

depends how much damage was done while she was eating gluten, and what she's eating in place of gluten. Most "gluten free" foods are nutritionless carbohydrates, that are not going to help anyone lose weight ever. They're made from white rice, potato starch, tapioca starch, and copious quantities of sugars. There's no fiber, there's no vitamins, there's no nothing but fattening starches and sugar.

Get her on a whole foods, natural foods plan. Nothing that comes from a prepared mix, pressed paper box, or shiny crinkly plastic package. Just real food.

Kristinade Rookie

I have been gluten-free on/off since Dec (cheated with the holidays) and I weighed myself this morning on my electronic scale.....239, down from 242. The bloating is starting to go away and even my mom saw the difference. I remember the days when I could go to the beach in a bikini and feel good about myself......not anymore. Hoping to get back into a bikini next summer---this summer might be too soon to lose all the weight. I think when I am skinny again, I might get my belly button pierced and walk around in Daisy Dukes and tank tops.

bigdawgfrickin Newbie

I've been gluten-sensitive for several years now. Things really started to get bad this past summer. The digestive and skin issues got out of control. Been having a really hard time trying to get my diet in order since I am also highly allergic to corn products and food starches. Since July, I have gained about 20 lbs!!!! I knew I had gained weight but didn't realize it was that much until a recent doctor's visit. I've battled weight all my life and I thought since I was struggling with trying to find "safe" foods and I really wasn't getting enough calories, I thought that I would actually end up losing weight. So, you can imagine just how horrified I was when the opposite happened.

Archived