34 replies to this topic

#31 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

My weight has been real consistant until I started getting sick and then I started gaining. I recall going to the doc and telling him I had gained 5 lbs in one week and had not really changed my diet, he blew it off, it was only 5 lbs. That year I gained something like 20 lbs and it didn't stop. I thought it was stress. I went from my usual 125 to 160 and while that doesn't seem much to some, it was alot for me and docs were not alarmed. I would try to cut back and I was exercising and I found myself hunger. A diet coach one tie asked me if I felt hungry on what I was eating. I thought she was out of her mind, of course I was hungry. I have had my thyroid tested and it always comes back good. I was told it was age and that my metabolism was slowing down.

All said and done when I went off gluten I went from my 160 to 145ish in 8 months with little effort. I no longer feel hungry, no longer have weird food cravings. My body was starved of nutrients and so my brain was sending me messages to eat. I still have a long way to go, on lots of vits right now to feed my body what it needs.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 rom

rom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

My daughter has been a celiac for a year and her waist is so big. Am really concerned as she has hit puberty. She started getting big around the age of 9 and now weighs as much as me and i am at least 10 kilos overweight. She refuses to exercise as she is always too tired and is as stubborn as can be.

how long does it take for the effects of the gluten take to reverse?

#33 Reba32

Reba32

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

depends how much damage was done while she was eating gluten, and what she's eating in place of gluten. Most "gluten free" foods are nutritionless carbohydrates, that are not going to help anyone lose weight ever. They're made from white rice, potato starch, tapioca starch, and copious quantities of sugars. There's no fiber, there's no vitamins, there's no nothing but fattening starches and sugar.

Get her on a whole foods, natural foods plan. Nothing that comes from a prepared mix, pressed paper box, or shiny crinkly plastic package. Just real food.

#34 Kristinade

Kristinade

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:15 AM

I have been gluten-free on/off since Dec (cheated with the holidays) and I weighed myself this morning on my electronic scale.....239, down from 242. The bloating is starting to go away and even my mom saw the difference. I remember the days when I could go to the beach in a bikini and feel good about myself......not anymore. Hoping to get back into a bikini next summer---this summer might be too soon to lose all the weight. I think when I am skinny again, I might get my belly button pierced and walk around in Daisy Dukes and tank tops.

#35 bigdawgfrickin

bigdawgfrickin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

I've been gluten-sensitive for several years now. Things really started to get bad this past summer. The digestive and skin issues got out of control. Been having a really hard time trying to get my diet in order since I am also highly allergic to corn products and food starches. Since July, I have gained about 20 lbs!!!! I knew I had gained weight but didn't realize it was that much until a recent doctor's visit. I've battled weight all my life and I thought since I was struggling with trying to find "safe" foods and I really wasn't getting enough calories, I thought that I would actually end up losing weight. So, you can imagine just how horrified I was when the opposite happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: