This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elimination Diet

healinginprogress

healinginprogress Enthusiast

Well, after my little meltdown a couple of days ago, I have begun an elimination diet of sorts. I cut out dairy, soy, and am trying to eat more simply and keeping a food diary to see what is still making me sick.

So far, I've gotten gassy and bloated 1. after I had a baked yam, a few pieces of broccoli, and eggs, and 2. after having gluten-free tacos...basically just extra lean ground sirloin, homemade guacamole (avocado, garlic, cilantro, lime, tomato, and jalapeno with seeds removed...it wasn't spicy at all), onions and mushrooms sauteed with a bit of vegan margarine, and gluten-free corn tortillas.

I bought a new pot, pan, cutting board, and cooking utensils that are dedicated gluten-free.

I know that eggs and corn are also common food intolerances or allergens...I'm just having a hard time believing that I could be intolerant to all these things!

The only way for me to really find out is to eat them on their own and see if I react. It's just so crazy to me! Plus, I don't like getting sick, so I'm a little reluctant to try them on their own, ya know?

I guess I'm just wondering if I could really be sensitive to gluten, dairy, corn, and eggs...haven't even TRIED soy, yet...or is painful bloating, burping, and gas just part of healing? Maybe I'm not willing to accept it :( And if I AM sensitive to all these things...could some of them go away with a strict gluten-free diet? I've heard that dairy can usually be reintroduced after some healing, just wondering if the others are similar.

Sigh....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ugh, so we can add nausea and vomiting to that last meal :(

Ok, sorry, everyone...this is all just so overwhelming....

I just did a tiny search on elimination diet and realized what I was doing wasn't even close. So I guess now what I'm really asking is for some help/advice on the elimination diet. From what I read, I'm thinking I need to cut out all the potential allergens/sensitivities until I show improved symptoms, and then reintroduce each one individually??

(sorry, I don't know how to delete the topic, otherwise I would have)

cahill Collaborator

I guess I'm just wondering if I could really be sensitive to gluten, dairy, corn, and eggs...haven't even TRIED soy, yet...or is painful bloating, burping, and gas just part of healing? Maybe I'm not willing to accept it :( And if I AM sensitive to all these things...could some of them go away with a strict gluten-free diet? I've heard that dairy can usually be reintroduced after some healing, just wondering if the others are similar.

Sigh....

It is possible to be intolerant of gluten ,dairy,corn ,soy and eggs at the same time,,,, good news is if it is just an intolerance (( not a true allergy))and you eliminate them while healing, you may be able to tolerate all or most of them ((except gluten ))after healing

cahill Collaborator

I just did a tiny search on elimination diet and realized what I was doing wasn't even close. So I guess now what I'm really asking is for some help/advice on the elimination diet. From what I read, I'm thinking I need to cut out all the potential allergens/sensitivities until I show improved symptoms, and then reintroduce each one individually??

cutting out all the potential allergens /sensitivities is a place to start,be sure to check all products ,,(( mayo has eggs,corn syurp,paprika ect <_< , ))the eight major allergens are listed on products with a allergy warning but corn,nightshades are not

reintroduction is a long slow process

I totally understand,, it is soooooo overwhelming, doing a strict elimination diet is tough,very tough, but so very worth it when you start to heal ,feel free to ask questions or just vent if you need to ,,hang in there :wub:

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Do you have an allergist who can set you up with a starting point for an elimination diet? That can be really helpful. My allergist guided diet started with only 5 foods, all cooked plain with no seasonings, no condiments or butter and the only allowed beverage was water. He had me consume those 5 foods until I had been feeling better for a couple of weeks then add back in one food in pure form a for a week or until I reacted. It was quite boring but that elimination diet finally helped them pinpoint my celiac and I was then refered back to my GI for diagnosis.

I totally understand,, it is soooooo overwhelming, doing a strict elimination diet is tough,very tough, but so very worth it when you start to heal ,feel free to ask questions or just vent if you need to ,,hang in there :wub:

Thank you so much, it's enough to drive a person crazy...I go from fine to completely depressed and wanting to give up, to angry, to...exhausted! :P Right now I'm struggling with being unable to nap. Or sleep in general. So tired, but I've had terrible insomnia forever. Hoping it will be another symptom that will go away with healing.

Oh and no, I don't have an allergist...I think it's a super long waiting list for them. I had a positive (verrry positive) blood test and got a referral to a colorectal surgeon (for apr 17, I think), and a dietitian, but I have to attend a Celiac Group on mar 16 first. The doc told me to go gluten-free, and if the surgeon needs me to be on gluten for the testing, then to go back on it then, because it can take some time to get appointments and whatnot. But I've still been getting sick, hence the elimination diet...if I'm going to be cutting out foods, then I don't want to still be sick, it's just not worth it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Oh and no, I don't have an allergist...I think it's a super long waiting list for them. I had a positive (verrry positive) blood test and got a referral to a colorectal surgeon (for apr 17, I think), and a dietitian, but I have to attend a Celiac Group on mar 16 first. The doc told me to go gluten-free, and if the surgeon needs me to be on gluten for the testing, then to go back on it then, because it can take some time to get appointments and whatnot. But I've still been getting sick, hence the elimination diet...if I'm going to be cutting out foods, then I don't want to still be sick, it's just not worth it!

Some doctors would now diagnose with positive blood work and skip the endo. If you are going to have an endo you really need to keep eating gluten until that is done. If you stop now and then the GI wants an endo for confirmation of celiac you will have to go back to eating a full gluten diet for three months before it. If you need to be gluten free that 3 months back on gluten will be very uncomfortable and your symptoms may be worse than they are now. You do of course have the choice of going gluten free and then if problems continue having the endo to rule out other problems. It can take some time to heal gluten free but if you have had positive blood tests and are continuing on gluten that may be the reason for your continued distress rather than other intolerances. Also we do sometimes have issues with other items that resolve once we have healed from the celiac damage so items you may need to eliminate now may be able to be added back in after you heal.

It can take some time to heal gluten free but if you have had positive blood tests and are continuing on gluten that may be the reason for your continued distress rather than other intolerances.

Oh, I've been gluten-free for 20days now! I'm definitely concerned about having to go back on gluten...I just don't know what to do!!! The endo is to confirm diagnosis but also to make sure there's nothing else going on...history of colon cancer in the family. Maybe I'll call the surgeon's office and see what they say??!!

sigh, now I'm even more confused :(

GFinDC Veteran

They will probably do both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy then. You should ask them to confirm. If the endoscopy is to test for celiac they need to take biopsy samples to examine under a microscope. Usually people here want more than one biopsy sample taken for testing.

They will probably do both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy then. You should ask them to confirm. If the endoscopy is to test for celiac they need to take biopsy samples to examine under a microscope. Usually people here want more than one biopsy sample taken for testing.

Okay, I called the surgeon yesterday and they said to stay gluten-free. So at least I'm doing something right :huh: When I go for the appointment april 7th they're just examining and deciding what to do from there, and if they decide I have to be eating gluten for the next step then they will tell me then...which could be really awful because, as you said, I'll likely be even more sensitive to it by then, but I'll do what I have to do to get a proper diagnosis.

So I'm still on the elimination diet, trying to not be hungry all the time, but it's hard. My lactose intolerance test came back negative, though I did have gas, bloating, burping during the test, so I don't really know what that means. We'll see what happens when I add it back in later down the road.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Okay, I called the surgeon yesterday and they said to stay gluten-free. So at least I'm doing something right :huh: When I go for the appointment april 7th they're just examining and deciding what to do from there, and if they decide I have to be eating gluten for the next step then they will tell me then...which could be really awful because, as you said, I'll likely be even more sensitive to it by then, but I'll do what I have to do to get a proper diagnosis.

So I'm still on the elimination diet, trying to not be hungry all the time, but it's hard. My lactose intolerance test came back negative, though I did have gas, bloating, burping during the test, so I don't really know what that means. We'll see what happens when I add it back in later down the road.

Your appointment is still a month away and you had firmly positive blood tests. By that time you will have been gluten free for a couple of months. If they decide to endo without you going back on gluten for a couple more months then be prepared for a false negative. Even with going back on gluten you could have a false negative. Since false positives on blood tests are really pretty unheard of you need the diet no matter what the results of the endo.

Archived