28 replies to this topic

#16 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

I don't eat peanut butter. It is processed. I can find very few processed foods which I can tolerate. I haven't found a pb yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

I don't eat peanut butter. It is processed. I can find very few processed foods which I can tolerate. I haven't found a pb yet.

Have you tried making your own? So simple and tasty.

http://www.joythebak...-peanut-butter/
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#18 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

Have you tried making your own? So simple and tasty.

http://www.joythebak...-peanut-butter/

I'm hoping I might be able to do that soon, too. We haven't been able to find any shelled peanuts that didn't make us a little sick, so I have some unshelled, unroasted ones I ordered that might work - I'm hoping, anyway!

A little more effort, needing to shell, and then roast, and then process - but I do miss peanut butter a lot! Think it might be worth it. :P

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#19 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

I'm hoping I might be able to do that soon, too. We haven't been able to find any shelled peanuts that didn't make us a little sick, so I have some unshelled, unroasted ones I ordered that might work - I'm hoping, anyway!

A little more effort, needing to shell, and then roast, and then process - but I do miss peanut butter a lot! Think it might be worth it. :P

Oh, I'm sorry that you get sick from peanuts. Good luck with your new batch - hopefully you'll find something that works for you!!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#20 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

I've been eating this way for 1 and a half years. I can't do soy or dairy so really can't find any cheeses that don't affect me either. I just eat plain meats, chicken, brown rice, some veggies and some fruits because there a few of those I react to too.
I eat plain peanut butter, some rice cakes not many, can't stand the texture. Eggs, microwave popcorn, snickers or Hershey's cocoa for my sugar fix. I can eat Lara bars and Kind bars thank goodness but not many of those, maybe 1 every couple of weeks without a reaction.
The good thing is i've lost nearly 50 lbs. I've gone down from a size 28 to an 18. Yippie, so it's all good. :D

What brand of microwave popcorn is safe?

#21 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

I am mainly eating chicken, olive oil, coconut oil, brown rice, almonds, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans and peas. Whenever I try expanding to more foods, I run into problems.

I've tried giving up rice a few times and it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I really don't know how I'd stay full without it. Potatoes, sweet potatoes and dried beans didn't seem to sit too well with me.

I avoid or really limit fruit. I love fruit and it is so hard to pass it up. Dairy, eggs and beef are problems, too.

I did buy some teff but am scared to try it.

It would be so easy if we only had to give up gluten.

#22 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

At the grocery store I was behind a woman with a handful of coupons. It took forever to determine that she got two of these and 5 of those and this was the flavor mentioned in the coupon and so on. At the end the clerk announced that she had saved $44 on her $210 purchase. It looked to be about 6 bags of groceries and I wondered just how much more food she would have had if she had bought real food, without coupons.

Pre-packaged applesauce cups are way too expensive, even on sale, with a coupon. How about feeding your kid an apple instead?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#23 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

Ain't that the truth, phew!

T.H.

#24 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

you bet ya !!

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#25 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:47 AM

I wondered just how much more food she would have had if she had bought real food, without coupons.

Pre-packaged applesauce cups are way too expensive, even on sale, with a coupon. How about feeding your kid an apple instead?

So true. The extra expense of eating gluten free is non existent if you eat whole foods.

I haven't found safe peanuts yet either to make my own p.b. I think I'd rather just eat the peanuts anyway, if I can find some.

#26 naiiad

naiiad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

I stick to gluten-free brands that I trust and that I know are gluten-free certified and made in a dedicated facility. Glutino and Molly-B's gluten free kitchen (Canada) are safe. Plain foods like nuts, oils, canned beans, plain yogurt, diamond's almond milk, cheese, all natural peanut butter etc. are usually fine for me too.

Anything packaged, seasoned, prepared is out of the question. Whole foods all the way :)

#27 peacefirst

peacefirst

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

I was just wondering about that too. Gluten free foods with sugar and other proccessed stuff can't be that healthy.

#28 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

I was just wondering about that too. Gluten free foods with sugar and other proccessed stuff can't be that healthy.

They are not as healthy as whole foods, which doesn't even need explaining, but there is no reason to exclude them totally from your diet if everything is eaten in moderation. The key is knowing what moderation is because that is lost on many people. I am a very sensitive, diagnosed Celiac who does not take unnecessary risks and I have healed very well eating some processed foods. I usually always bake my own but I work a 50 hour week and there is not always time to bake something. I am not totally convinced that all processed foods are contaminated. If that were the case, there would be huge numbers of Celiacs who do not heal and feel better. The vast majority do...at least the ones I have met and I have met many over the last 7 years. I think it is exaggerated to a degree. Having reactions from certain foods does not guarantee it's a gluten reaction, even if someone thinks so.

People can eat whatever way they want but the notion that you must eat only whole foods to heal is nonsense for many. Plus, for those of us skinny Celiacs,
bread and other processed foods are calorie dense and it is not a bad thing to indulge once in a while. You just can't pork down brownies and cookies all the time!

#29 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

...If that were the case, there would be huge numbers of Celiacs who do not heal and feel better. The vast majority do...at least the ones I have met and I have met many over the last 7 years. I think it is exaggerated to a degree.

A 2010 study was finding that a pretty large percentage of Celiacs aren't healing, actually. 57% of the study's Celiacs who stuck to the diet, plus the 34% who didn't stick to the diet. I would be happier with the results if the study had been larger, but it was still larger than many Celiac studies, with over 200 Celiacs participating.

One thing I didn't see reported in the study, however, was how many of these unhealed Celiacs reported symptoms vs. those who felt fine and then discovered they still had damage (the study involved biopsies). Of the Celiacs I know personally, the majority never got a second biopsy after going gluten free, only a second blood test, and those don't seem as accurate at determining villi damage when it is less severe, from what I understand.

I don't necessarily believe that simply switching whole foods is the way to heal Celiacs, mind you. The study has no conclusions on that score, and considering how little is known about the disease, I imagine there could be dozens of factors involved. But it typically doesn't hurt, and it's non-invasive, and it might help.

For some of us who are so sick going into the gluten-free diet, I've wondered if a whole foods diet might not be an easier transition, in some ways.

First, because there's not a lot of label reading you have to do, so a Celiac can slowly learn labels while they are still eating food. That 4 hour grocery store trip right after you're diagnosed wouldn't happen. It'd be a quick jaunt to the produce aisle, the meat counter, and you're done. There's a little stress at the extra work and recipes, but a lot LESS stress at the store.

Second, I think it could be easier because it avoids a lot of potential cc screw-ups in the beginning. No complicated processed foods means less likelihood of cc means faster healing with fewer setbacks.

And third, after eating only whole foods, eating 'gluten free plus processed foods' feels SO much easier in comparison. That has got to make the diet easier to stick to, when you feel like your final diet has expanded from where it was a few months before. :D

T.H.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: