Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

When You Feel So Tired But You Can't Sleep....

• Please log in to reply

24 replies to this topic

#1 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

Yes, it's a Coldplay lyric, but it always goes through my head when I'm lying here NOT sleeping. I had maybe four hours of sleep last night, had to do a few things this morning, but then had a couple hours off where a nap would have been wonderful and beneficial, I'm sure.

My body needs rest to heal, and I'm very tired, but I just can't seem to fall asleep. Usually at night I take prescribed meds, but they didn't do much last night.

I guess I'm still resting by lying on the couch, but it's really not the same. I just started an elimination diet, so I don't see my energy levels really going up much in the next little bit...I NEED SLEEP~~~ :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

Try Melatonin.

I use 5 mg. a night and it really works.

There is no hangover effect.

It helps your body with other stuff too.

Read up on it if you haven't, it is really fascinating.

It is said to help stimulate growth hormone which is exactly what we need when we are healing.

I have read that people eventually get used to it and have to increase the dose for it to be effective.

That hasn't happened to me. I have much more refreshing sleep when I take it, than I do when I don't take it.

I also use it in a smaller dose when I have anxiety and want to calm it down, but not go to sleep.

It is very safe and effective.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

Try Melatonin.

I use 5 mg. a night and it really works.

There is no hangover effect.

It helps your body with other stuff too.

Read up on it if you haven't, it is really fascinating.

It is said to help stimulate growth hormone which is exactly what we need when we are healing.

I have read that people eventually get used to it and have to increase the dose for it to be effective.

That hasn't happened to me. I have much more refreshing sleep when I take it, than I do when I don't take it.

I also use it in a smaller dose when I have anxiety and want to calm it down, but not go to sleep.

It is very safe and effective.

So would this work for shift work too? I work nights and have trouble getting good sleep in the morning after I get off work. I had thought about taking provigil to stay more alert at work when I didn't get good sleep, but it has gluten in it. Even if it had been safe my doctor didn't recommend it for me. She thought it would increase my heartrate too much since it is on the high normal side. I am very reluctant, or I should say refuse to take sleep aids. For me the prescription sleep aids are not an option that I will even consider. If this is not habit forming then it might just help on the mornings I need sleep. Is this prescription or otc?

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

It would certainly help you with that situation.

People often take it for jet lag for that very reason.

It is non-addicting.
No hangover effect.
Just mildly relaxes the brain and you can sleep.

It is over the counter.

It comes in many different milligram sizes. I started with 3 mg. a night and went up to 5 mg.

It is perfectly harmless according to all I have read and in my own experience.

It is in the vitamin section of health food stores and I've even gotten it at the Walgreens or your local pharmacy.

It has a lot of benefits.

I give it to my teenager when he stays up to late on Sat night and then can't get to sleep on Sun. night.

It's not a medicine, it is a supplement.

It sure helps and I would think it would be perfect for shift workers whose hours change.

Try it.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#5 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

I would like to try it but just read on one site that it can interact with verapamil. I just started(trial basis) on it for the raynaud's symptoms. The verapamil can make the melatonin less effective by helping the body get rid of it quicker. However, it is getting warmer and I could just not take the verapamil and try the melatonin and see how it works. I fear that once I start something my body will not be able to adjust without it on the nights that I am at home and trying to sleep. However I do have trouble going to sleep at night when I am off also because of the shift work. When I schedule vacation it only takes about 3 days for my sleep cycle to shift back to normal and I usually feel great. I was on vacation for 17 days in Jan. and ever since then I have had an unusually hard time back on night shift. I've been dragging...my moods have been horrible.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#6 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

I would like to try it but just read on one site that it can interact with verapamil. I just started(trial basis) on it for the raynaud's symptoms. The verapamil can make the melatonin less effective by helping the body get rid of it quicker. However, it is getting warmer and I could just not take the verapamil and try the melatonin and see how it works. I fear that once I start something my body will not be able to adjust without it on the nights that I am at home and trying to sleep. However I do have trouble going to sleep at night when I am off also because of the shift work. When I schedule vacation it only takes about 3 days for my sleep cycle to shift back to normal and I usually feel great. I was on vacation for 17 days in Jan. and ever since then I have had an unusually hard time back on night shift. I've been dragging...my moods have been horrible.

Melatonin is intended to help normalize circadian rhythms. I don't generally find it helpful, however, my med tolerance is pretty high, possibly due to damage to my insides? As an experiment, I will try it tonight, instead of my sleeping pill (which is prescribed, it's actually an antidepressant that makes me sleepy, but I take an antidepressant during the day, so don't worry about me going off a med or anything, I don't take the sleeping pills all the time)

I do like the potential of use as an anti-anxiety...I've been having a lot lately, despite my meds.

I'll let ya know how it goes...I have to be up super early for a hydrogen breath test, anyways :P

#7 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:52 AM

Omg...I haven't slept at all...and I took five of the damn things! I'm fasting for my lab test, and I don't know if that's what's caused it, but I have the worst headache. And now there's a wind warning and it's so loud it sounds like I'm gonna blow away! Lab test is in 3hrs...I'm really hating life right now!

#8 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:31 AM

I know that must suck not sleeping. About two weeks ago I was up for almost 24 hrs. Not fun!

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#9 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:55 AM

Yeah, I've been up since 6am yesterday :( it's almost 5 and I have to get up at 6am to go to the lab. Sigh...really wish someone hadn't booked me on at work today, but at least it's only an hour.

#10 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:22 AM

Omg...I haven't slept at all...and I took five of the damn things! I'm fasting for my lab test, and I don't know if that's what's caused it, but I have the worst headache. And now there's a wind warning and it's so loud it sounds like I'm gonna blow away! Lab test is in 3hrs...I'm really hating life right now!

5 is too many. It's supposed to be a mild sleep assistant. Taking five would really screw up your hormone balance and make keep you awake all night. :P
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#11 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:24 AM

Awesome. I only took more because it wasn't working

#12 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:28 AM

I'm sure the empty stomach and bad headache didn't help matters. Today will suck, but I'll get through it somehow

#13 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:29 AM

yeah, it's a weird one. It makes me feel 'heavy', but not really sleepy, and I feel a bit hung over if it's been less than 8 hours or so. I think of it not as a sleep aid, but more of a 'sleep better' aid.

Even though you'll be tired, you'll feel better once it's out of your system.
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#14 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:30 AM

too late now, but people also use benadryl as a sleep aid.
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#15 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:47 AM

Benadryl never makes me sleepy. Gravol, sometimes. But I think I'll go back to the Rx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: