arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

When You Feel So Tired But You Can't Sleep....

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,375 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

I must be "special". :unsure: benadryl makes me "hyper" not sleepy... and melatonin---well, I fell asleep, but woke up anyway..arrgh!! Valerian root, passionflower...WIDE AWAKE!! I remain, sleepless in NY :o
Really?/ how can we be so exhausted, yet not sleep or be able to nap?? I don't get it!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

I must be "special". :unsure: benadryl makes me "hyper" not sleepy... and melatonin---well, I fell asleep, but woke up anyway..arrgh!! Valerian root, passionflower...WIDE AWAKE!! I remain, sleepless in NY :o
Really?/ how can we be so exhausted, yet not sleep or be able to nap?? I don't get it!!

No kidding, I feel like I've gone manic or something!!! I've basically been up since 6am yesterday, and I haven't had any caffeine or drugs or anything...I don't think this has ever gone on for so long in one bout, yikes :( I'll take a sleeping pill soon and force it outta me I guess

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,375 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:08 AM

No kidding, I feel like I've gone manic or something!!! I've basically been up since 6am yesterday, and I haven't had any caffeine or drugs or anything...I don't think this has ever gone on for so long in one bout, yikes :( I'll take a sleeping pill soon and force it outta me I guess

Hope you got some ZZZZZZZZZZZZs! I cut out some foods with high salycilates (at the suggestion of another member) and got almost 6 hours last night...go figure!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#19 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:45 AM

Hmmm salicylates...another thing to look up lol

Well, I did get some sleep, still tired, though...but I think that's a given. It's really nice out today...cold-ish, but at least sunny, so a walk with the dogs might perk me up.

Do/Have any of you experienced chills, or being cold all the time on the new diet? (I'm on elimination diet, not sure if that makes a difference)

#20 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

My insomnia is extremely difficult to bear. It is mainly due to severe back/hip/pelvic/shoulder/leg pain from a severe back injury three years ago. The only reprieve I get is with prescription sleeping pills. It's a horrible cycle. If I can't sleep my muscles cannot replenish themselves so the pain becomes worse then I cannot sleep because of the pain.

I've been gluten-free for two months and there is absolutely no difference but would love it is further down the road my insomnia were to end. Melatonin, Benadryl, etc. unfortunately have ZERO effect on me. The longest I've gone without sleep is TWELVE nights. I was hallucinating and so on. The doctors were scared of my organs shutting down so I had to be hospitalized and put on tons of Demerol, narcotics, etc. just so I could sleep. That was terrifying.

It is horrible when you just cannot escape it. :(
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#21 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

Benadryl never makes me sleepy. Gravol, sometimes. But I think I'll go back to the Rx

Interesting. Benadryl has always made me "crawl the walls" vs. sleep. I thought I was a lone ranger. :(
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,375 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

Interesting. Benadryl has always made me "crawl the walls" vs. sleep. I thought I was a lone ranger. :(

me too! Racy and wide awake...

I have had insomnia for most of my life. (now, I know why!!)

I STILL have not found anything to help me sleep (prescription or herbal)...but I did want to re-post and say that I can get to sleep now and most nights, I can go back to sleep if I wake up. I do get more than the 1 or 2 I was getting...some night -- ZERO sleep for many months....and like Love2travel, I have chronic pain that makes life horrible....and it wakes me up constantly. Yet, I cannot tolerate any medications whatsoever...sigh.
I know that feeling of hallucinating when very sleep-deprived.

BUT...the good news is....4 months gluten-free and I am at least getting about 6 now--with a few wake ups...I really need some restorative sleep...and I wonder if it will ever happen again in this lifetime??

Hope all of you are getting more ZZZZZs now...

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#23 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

Magnesium is another one that could help as it is involved in regulating sleep. Celiacs (or those with chronic D) often are a bit low in it, but the blood test isn't incredibly reflective of total body nutrient status.

Try it for a week (200 to 400 mg) and see if it helps. Shouldn't hurt (although can have a mild laxative effect).

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#24 FernW

FernW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

Yes, I miss sleep, was told I have chronic fatigue syndrome which did not develop for almost a year after diagnosis, now I developed restless legs. docs are trying to get it to where I am a bit more comfy. I am addicted to sleep when I can get it. I also sleep for short periods of time not like 6 or 8 hr more like 2-3 in a 24 hr period.

#25 FernW

FernW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

Benedryl does nothing for me but its is good if, used to use it for sleep but nothing helps anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: