19 replies to this topic

#1 dmeagan

dmeagan

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:28 AM

My blood test said that I have celiac, but my biopsy said I did not. I was tested because I have Hashimotos and I guess a lot of time you get both if you have one of the diseases? But I have kept eating gluten for like 2 years since that test. I have never been able to sleep through the night..never. If I sleep 3 hrs in a row I am amazed and so I was just wondering if gluten could be a factor

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:59 AM

Yes! I used to feel totally wired, like my head was plugged into an electrical outlet :o
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Brigit

Brigit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:07 AM

I've been gluten free for 10 days now, and I've not slept a full 7 hours since about day two of the diet. When my husband realizes I'm awake, normally around 2 or 3pm that I start tossing and turning, he puts his arm around me and says; "come let me help you". He thinks it'll calm me to be held, but I can't lie still for longer than a few moments. It's the weirdest thing. I've never had a problem with sleeping. I love it, and normally would try get around 8 hours minimum.

Good luck to you though, hope you get it sorted out!

#4 hnybny91

hnybny91

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

I could never sleep - NEVER! I had no problem falling asleep but I would always be up three to four hours later. I was on the highest possible dose of Lunesta for almost a year it got so bad but that really only put me to about six hours a night. I have been gluten free since Jan 2nd and I have not taken a Lunesta since about a wweek later. I have very few problems sleeping now. There have even been nights I slept for 11 - 12 hours!

#5 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

I've been gluten free for 10 days now, and I've not slept a full 7 hours since about day two of the diet. When my husband realizes I'm awake, normally around 2 or 3pm that I start tossing and turning, he puts his arm around me and says; "come let me help you". He thinks it'll calm me to be held, but I can't lie still for longer than a few moments. It's the weirdest thing. I've never had a problem with sleeping. I love it, and normally would try get around 8 hours minimum.

Good luck to you though, hope you get it sorted out!

Have you tried sublingual Vit-B supplements (especially B6) and magnesium supplements? If not, give them a try.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:51 AM

I was a raging insomniac for years. Always felt like I was "wired for sound" tossing and turning. Since going gluten-free, I sleep a few hours and wake up still, but now, I can almost always get a few hours more. At one point, I could barely sleep 1 or 2 hours. It was horrible.Now, I manage 5-6.

I was always surprised by people who said gluten made them sleepy.... :huh:

I notice you said in your post "I tested positive for celiac, but have kept eating gluten for two years since the test"....may I ask.... WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU EATING GLUTEN IF YOU ARE A CELIAC?? :blink: !!!!!!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

I notice you said in your post "I tested positive for celiac, but have kept eating gluten for two years since the test"....may I ask.... WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU EATING GLUTEN IF YOU ARE A CELIAC?? :blink: !!!!!!!

Uh, second this? A false positive on a Celiac blood test is astronomically rare to the point where I've yet to actually find documentation on it. But a negative biopsy isn't uncommon at all. Celiac damage can be patchy in the intestine.

It really sounds like you should have stopped eating gluten two years ago. Either get yourself retested or drop the gluten, pronto.

(And, yes, I was an insomniac before diagnosis too. I would wake up multiple times and just couldn't go back to sleep. I usually sleep fine now.)
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#8 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:06 AM

I find I have trouble sleeping whenever I've been glutened. Not when I'm gluten free. Though since being gluten-free, I believe my fitness levels are much lower than they once were. I used to do really well in athletics when I was young however that seemed to change as soon as I went gluten free :(

Strange... :rolleyes:

#9 liss7217

liss7217

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

My blood test said that I have celiac, but my biopsy said I did not. I was tested because I have Hashimotos and I guess a lot of time you get both if you have one of the diseases? But I have kept eating gluten for like 2 years since that test. I have never been able to sleep through the night..never. If I sleep 3 hrs in a row I am amazed and so I was just wondering if gluten could be a factor

When I was diagnosed with Hashimotos my Natropaths wife who also has Hashimotos, told me it was a good idea to stop eating gluten. Some of the research I have done shows that it can increase the thyroid antibodies. It makes my normally more hypothyroid change to hyperthyroid. When I stopped eating gluten about a year ago, I started sleeping much better, I could focus better and my hot flashed became much less frequent.

About 3 months into my gluten free diet, I intentionally glutened myself to see what would happen. Sure enough I woke up that night covered in sweat, had a couple pretty restless nights, and my thyroid was swollen for over a weak. From my personal experience it really made a huge difference to stop eating gluten. Getting a good nights sleep is so important for your bodies healing.

Best of luck to you.

#10 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

One of my first symptoms of being glutened is insomnia. Then I get a visit from depression. And apathy says hello.

I'm strictly gluten-free, and my sleep is so much better now. So are a number of other symptoms. I appreciate good sleep most of all. :D
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#11 Brigit

Brigit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:31 AM

One of my first symptoms of being glutened is insomnia. Then I get a visit from depression. And apathy says hello.

I'm strictly gluten-free, and my sleep is so much better now. So are a number of other symptoms. I appreciate good sleep most of all. :D

Ha ha. I read your post outloud to my husband, we had good laugh, as that was my pattern to. Although along with the apathy I've had a bit of denial as well. Am sleeping loads better thankfully and have found some great resources: reading Wheat-Free, Worry Free, a book about living a gluten free life, and its been super helpful and have also found a health shop that is run by a woman with Celiac Disease. Yay for these wonderful small mercies!

#12 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

It's good to hear that so many other people have had problems with this. Before being diagnosed I'd have problems falling asleep, often waking up several times in the middle of the night. I tried melatonin, but it didn't work. I've always been the type of person to wake up early naturally, but I'm hoping that once I'm gluten-free for a while longer, I'll be able to at least sleep more deeply. Today is day #10, and I'm feeling so much better!

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#13 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

I find when my iron levels are low, even though I am tired, I can't sleep - and since iron deficiency is common with having Celiac, it could be a part of the puzzle..?
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#14 Cattknap

Cattknap

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

I haven't slept well in many years - I notice no difference since being diagnosed with celiac.

#15 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:32 AM

I developed terrible insomnia (ie not sleeping for days) and now that I am gluten-free I have little trouble sleeping...
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: