Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Does Celiac Cause Lack Of Sleep?

20 posts in this topic

My blood test said that I have celiac, but my biopsy said I did not. I was tested because I have Hashimotos and I guess a lot of time you get both if you have one of the diseases? But I have kept eating gluten for like 2 years since that test. I have never been able to sleep through the night..never. If I sleep 3 hrs in a row I am amazed and so I was just wondering if gluten could be a factor

Ads by Google:

Yes! I used to feel totally wired, like my head was plugged into an electrical outlet :o

I've been gluten free for 10 days now, and I've not slept a full 7 hours since about day two of the diet. When my husband realizes I'm awake, normally around 2 or 3pm that I start tossing and turning, he puts his arm around me and says; "come let me help you". He thinks it'll calm me to be held, but I can't lie still for longer than a few moments. It's the weirdest thing. I've never had a problem with sleeping. I love it, and normally would try get around 8 hours minimum.

Good luck to you though, hope you get it sorted out!

I could never sleep - NEVER! I had no problem falling asleep but I would always be up three to four hours later. I was on the highest possible dose of Lunesta for almost a year it got so bad but that really only put me to about six hours a night. I have been gluten free since Jan 2nd and I have not taken a Lunesta since about a wweek later. I have very few problems sleeping now. There have even been nights I slept for 11 - 12 hours!

I've been gluten free for 10 days now, and I've not slept a full 7 hours since about day two of the diet. When my husband realizes I'm awake, normally around 2 or 3pm that I start tossing and turning, he puts his arm around me and says; "come let me help you". He thinks it'll calm me to be held, but I can't lie still for longer than a few moments. It's the weirdest thing. I've never had a problem with sleeping. I love it, and normally would try get around 8 hours minimum.

Good luck to you though, hope you get it sorted out!

Have you tried sublingual Vit-B supplements (especially B6) and magnesium supplements? If not, give them a try.

I was a raging insomniac for years. Always felt like I was "wired for sound" tossing and turning. Since going gluten-free, I sleep a few hours and wake up still, but now, I can almost always get a few hours more. At one point, I could barely sleep 1 or 2 hours. It was horrible.Now, I manage 5-6.

I was always surprised by people who said gluten made them sleepy.... :huh:

I notice you said in your post "I tested positive for celiac, but have kept eating gluten for two years since the test"....may I ask.... WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU EATING GLUTEN IF YOU ARE A CELIAC?? :blink: !!!!!!!

I notice you said in your post "I tested positive for celiac, but have kept eating gluten for two years since the test"....may I ask.... WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU EATING GLUTEN IF YOU ARE A CELIAC?? :blink: !!!!!!!

Uh, second this? A false positive on a Celiac blood test is astronomically rare to the point where I've yet to actually find documentation on it. But a negative biopsy isn't uncommon at all. Celiac damage can be patchy in the intestine.

It really sounds like you should have stopped eating gluten two years ago. Either get yourself retested or drop the gluten, pronto.

(And, yes, I was an insomniac before diagnosis too. I would wake up multiple times and just couldn't go back to sleep. I usually sleep fine now.)

I find I have trouble sleeping whenever I've been glutened. Not when I'm gluten free. Though since being gluten-free, I believe my fitness levels are much lower than they once were. I used to do really well in athletics when I was young however that seemed to change as soon as I went gluten free :(

Strange... :rolleyes:

My blood test said that I have celiac, but my biopsy said I did not. I was tested because I have Hashimotos and I guess a lot of time you get both if you have one of the diseases? But I have kept eating gluten for like 2 years since that test. I have never been able to sleep through the night..never. If I sleep 3 hrs in a row I am amazed and so I was just wondering if gluten could be a factor

When I was diagnosed with Hashimotos my Natropaths wife who also has Hashimotos, told me it was a good idea to stop eating gluten. Some of the research I have done shows that it can increase the thyroid antibodies. It makes my normally more hypothyroid change to hyperthyroid. When I stopped eating gluten about a year ago, I started sleeping much better, I could focus better and my hot flashed became much less frequent.

About 3 months into my gluten free diet, I intentionally glutened myself to see what would happen. Sure enough I woke up that night covered in sweat, had a couple pretty restless nights, and my thyroid was swollen for over a weak. From my personal experience it really made a huge difference to stop eating gluten. Getting a good nights sleep is so important for your bodies healing.

Best of luck to you.

One of my first symptoms of being glutened is insomnia. Then I get a visit from depression. And apathy says hello.

I'm strictly gluten-free, and my sleep is so much better now. So are a number of other symptoms. I appreciate good sleep most of all. :D

One of my first symptoms of being glutened is insomnia. Then I get a visit from depression. And apathy says hello.

I'm strictly gluten-free, and my sleep is so much better now. So are a number of other symptoms. I appreciate good sleep most of all. :D

Ha ha. I read your post outloud to my husband, we had good laugh, as that was my pattern to. Although along with the apathy I've had a bit of denial as well. Am sleeping loads better thankfully and have found some great resources: reading Wheat-Free, Worry Free, a book about living a gluten free life, and its been super helpful and have also found a health shop that is run by a woman with Celiac Disease. Yay for these wonderful small mercies!

It's good to hear that so many other people have had problems with this. Before being diagnosed I'd have problems falling asleep, often waking up several times in the middle of the night. I tried melatonin, but it didn't work. I've always been the type of person to wake up early naturally, but I'm hoping that once I'm gluten-free for a while longer, I'll be able to at least sleep more deeply. Today is day #10, and I'm feeling so much better!

I find when my iron levels are low, even though I am tired, I can't sleep - and since iron deficiency is common with having Celiac, it could be a part of the puzzle..?

I haven't slept well in many years - I notice no difference since being diagnosed with celiac.

I developed terrible insomnia (ie not sleeping for days) and now that I am gluten-free I have little trouble sleeping...

This is fascinating! The first effect we noticed when we put our youngest daughter on a gluten free diet was that for the first time in her life she slept right through the night. She's nearly 9, and I'd more or less given up hope of ever having an unbroken night again. Right from the start the slightest noise would wake her up - now she sleeps like a log! Her restlessness seemed to be a combination of constant low level stomach pain and cramps in her legs - enough to give anyone nightmares! Interestingly, my mother (not diagnosed coeliac yet) also has similar problems and "restless legs" which she finds resolve when she goes gluten free.

I'm so glad your daughter is sleeping well now, and I'm happy you found out while she's still young...you've saved her from a multitude of problems!

Yay mom!

I am so glad to have found this forum. I've had chronic insomnia for years. Never connected it to celiac disease. But was having terrible digestive problems -- read that could be helped by going low carb. So...in going low carb, I quit eating grains. The indigestion has pretty much cleared up and some other pesky symptoms. I was having nights and days when my brain was so wired I could not sleep. Now while I still come wide awake after 3-4 hours, after a couple hours I'm able to go back to sleep so am getting about 6 hours sleep. Reading your posts on here, seems you're describing my sleep problems exactly. I'm looking forward to learning about celiac disease and perhap being able to sleep through the night.

Hey, I have noticed that I am sleeping better now too. I am a newbie with Celiac. I tested positive about 2 weeks ago.

Oh my...there is hope...there is hope!! :)B) B) :rolleyes: