19 replies to this topic

#16 Medusa

Medusa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:41 PM

This is fascinating! The first effect we noticed when we put our youngest daughter on a gluten free diet was that for the first time in her life she slept right through the night. She's nearly 9, and I'd more or less given up hope of ever having an unbroken night again. Right from the start the slightest noise would wake her up - now she sleeps like a log! Her restlessness seemed to be a combination of constant low level stomach pain and cramps in her legs - enough to give anyone nightmares! Interestingly, my mother (not diagnosed coeliac yet) also has similar problems and "restless legs" which she finds resolve when she goes gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

I'm so glad your daughter is sleeping well now, and I'm happy you found out while she's still young...you've saved her from a multitude of problems!

Yay mom!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#18 serenajoy

serenajoy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

I am so glad to have found this forum. I've had chronic insomnia for years. Never connected it to celiac disease. But was having terrible digestive problems -- read that could be helped by going low carb. So...in going low carb, I quit eating grains. The indigestion has pretty much cleared up and some other pesky symptoms. I was having nights and days when my brain was so wired I could not sleep. Now while I still come wide awake after 3-4 hours, after a couple hours I'm able to go back to sleep so am getting about 6 hours sleep. Reading your posts on here, seems you're describing my sleep problems exactly. I'm looking forward to learning about celiac disease and perhap being able to sleep through the night.

#19 millertl2

millertl2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Hey, I have noticed that I am sleeping better now too. I am a newbie with Celiac. I tested positive about 2 weeks ago.
Tom

Positive Celiac Blood Panel - November 2011

#20 Elizabeth5220

Elizabeth5220

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

Oh my...there is hope...there is hope!! :) B) B) :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users