6 replies to this topic

#1 srall

srall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

A big perk of going gluten and dairy free is that my arthritis really eased up. Especially a joint in my neck that was causing me chronic pain for years. However, it's a year later and I still have enough joint pain to interfere with my lifestyle, especially in my knees. So, I'm finally at a breaking point and I'm just now becoming very very strict about eliminating night shades, soy, coffee and alcohol. It's only been about 72 hours but I feel like the pain is worse, not better. I am pretty certain that I'm not getting cc from gluten as the house is gluten free and I haven't eaten out in weeks. Oh...I have also been taking a higher dose of vit D (5000 IU/day)

Does anybody have any advice? Am I looking at weeks or months before I feel better? What about glucosamine? I'd rather not take another supplement but I'm so tired of achy joints. Am I just arthritic and that's the way it is?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:03 AM

How is your vit D level? You may need more. Last year mine was at 16.7 range is 32.0-100.0. My Dr. put me on 50,000 IU Rx a week for two months and then I started taking 5,000 IU a day for a few months, now I am taking 3,000 IU a day. It is time for me to get tested again so I can see where my levels are. I am trying to remember, I think it took about six months for my joint pain to go away. I also added in a B-Complex with C and Fish Oil, I think those helped too.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#3 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

My Dr told me to take 10,000 IU D in the morning and Bluebonnet Calcium Citrate Magnesium D3 at night(800 IU D and 1000 mg calcium).
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

... So, I'm finally at a breaking point and I'm just now becoming very very strict about eliminating night shades, soy, coffee and alcohol. It's only been about 72 hours but I feel like the pain is worse, not better.....

Give it time. It took a over a month for me to get much better after stopping soy. It is not a light switch reaction.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

Give the nightshades and soy about 6 weeks. It'll take a little while for those to get out of your system. Sounds like you might be going through withdrawal effects too. I take 1000 mgs of magnesium also as well as Vit D and Vit B-12. That has helped with my pain a lot.
You do know what all the nightshades are, right? If not, they are potatoes, tomatoes, tomatilla's, all bell peppers, eggplant, paprika, and if I remember right okra. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
I hope you get to feeling better.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#6 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

Dagnabit, double post, sorry

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#7 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

Everyone, thank you. I can handle a 6 week wait. I just want it to get better eventually. I know with gluten it took months for everything to start easing up so I don't know why I'm surprised. And thanks for the nightshade list. I knew every one but okra...but that's not a big risk up here in the north. Plus I don't care for it. So...I'll stay the course and get vitamin levels checked at my next appt. I appreciate the responses. Very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: