7 replies to this topic

#1 misskris

misskris

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 06:30 PM

Hi everyone. This is my first post, but I've been reading the boards for awhile. I think it is SO great to have some place to talk to people who are going thru the same things I am. And thanks for all the great advice on here. I just realized that even tho I've tried to be gluten-free for over a year, I'm still eating some things I shouldn't...and I didn't even know about cosmetic products!

Ok, so to my question...my downward spiral started with Depo birth control. (Anyone else?) The worst nightmare imaginable followed, but thanks to the Internet and mssg boards like this, I realized that eating gluten-free eliminated most of my problems. (Drs said I was crazy...was all in my head...birth control wouldn't do such a thing. Etc.)

So now I'm back to square one. Needing a birth control ('cause hubby and I aren't ready for kids until I'm done with law school) but I'm SO scared to re-live all that over again. Has anyone been thru this? Is it ok to try another birth control?
Kris

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Merika

Merika

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:31 PM

Well, gluten and hormones go hand in hand.

Is depo the injected bc? Or a patch? Or? I'm assuming it alters your hormones to work. In which case the logical alternative would be a) barrier like condom and/or b)spermicide. You can get straight spermicide at the drugstore in a box and you put it in like a tampon, and you can use it w/o a condom. Obviously, you have to use it each time. ;)

Merika

#3 misskris

misskris

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:51 PM

Sorry...depo is the shot you get once every 3 months. For awhile I thought it was evil, but now I realize it was just a trigger, not the total cause of my problem. *sigh* SO much easier to blame the drugs and hope there's another one out there to fix the problems the others caused.
Kris

#4 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:38 AM

Unrelated to Celiac, I did have 2 friends who went on depo, and had horrible side effects...basically put them in menopause. :o There are so many things that can be a trigger to Celiac.

PS--If you really want to be gluten-free, you need to check your shampoos, face lotions, lipsticks. Even one small item like lipstick or chapstick that isn't gluten-free can hold you back. There are a lot of posts on products I can help you find.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:57 AM

Injectables do not contain gluten so that's not the problem with the Depo. Try something else.

richard

#6 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:13 AM

I take Aviane, generic for Alesse. It is gluten-free.

#7 ShortStuff2309

ShortStuff2309

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:55 PM

I am taking a generic brand of Ortho-Tri-Cyclen called Tri-Sprintec. Is this ok?

#8 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:16 PM

Bean posted this link on another message.

http://glutenfreedrugs.com/

Look for your b.c. here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: