22 replies to this topic

#1 maelenebaby

maelenebaby

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

Id like to find out if there are other members who are hypoglycemic and gluten free as well? im finding it a struggle to eat every 1.5 hours and finding foods to eat while im limited.

what snacks or foods do you eat?
can you share meal plans?
are there members who eat rice and potatoes or doing low carb?

i feel overwhelmed and tired all the time any help i would appreciate!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

It's hard isn't it. I am hypoglycemic as well. The hardest for me is in the morning.

For snacks, I eat an insane amount of rice and corn chex. I make up a little trail mix with nestle milk choc. chips, the chex, marshmallows, raisins. I usually take a bag of that with me in my purse. Fruit is good or Jello or pudding, Lays Stax or popcorn or Mission Corn chips and Pace salsa. Cheese and an apple or cream cheese on a Mission corn tortilla.....etc...etc.

I always have something with me and if I need something else, I will stop and buy an orange juice.

It's very overwhelming at first but you will get the hang of it and it will become second nature

#3 maelenebaby

maelenebaby

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

It's hard isn't it. I am hypoglycemic as well. The hardest for me is in the morning.

For snacks, I eat an insane amount of rice and corn chex. I make up a little trail mix with nestle milk choc. chips, the chex, marshmallows, raisins. I usually take a bag of that with me in my purse. Fruit is good or Jello or pudding, Lays Stax or popcorn or Mission Corn chips and Pace salsa. Cheese and an apple or cream cheese on a Mission corn tortilla.....etc...etc.

I always have something with me and if I need something else, I will stop and buy an orange juice.

It's very overwhelming at first but you will get the hang of it and it will become second nature

Totally hard Im glad I found someone who can relate! Yes its hard for me too in the morning I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. I also eat the rice chex, I get tired of eating plain rice and potatoes as my carb source how about u? Do you have to eat every 2 hours also?

#4 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

Yes, plain rice and potatoes gets old! Cream of Rice cereal is gluten free. It's pretty good. I add brown sugar and raisins to mine. Rice chex is good with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on it and it makes the best marshmallow treats. I usually eat something every 3 hours. But in between that, I am always drinking something.

#5 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

I am in the same category. I've had hypoglycemia since I was 6 yrs old. It went the other way for a few years to Diabetes and the doctors think it was from my body fighting the Celiac. Now that I'm gluten free for almost 4 months, the hypoglycemia is back. Have to be careful when I exercise as my blood sugar drops into the 50's sometimes and I can hardly navigate. I eat every couple hours too. 5-6 small meals a day just to keep my sugars level. I found too that if I eat sweets or candy, it drops lower faster. Reactive hypoglycemia they call that. So I 'try' to not eat too much sugar but of course I'm only human and I eat it anyway... It's a pain in the xxx being hypo half the time. Do you get really sleepy and groggy after a low? If mine drops into the 50's I can hardly move the rest of the day.

Corn and Rice Chex with choc chips and peanuts is my bag o goodies to carry with me and an endless supply of glucose tablets. sigh

Fix one thing, bring on another... there is no rest for the wicked..!!! :)
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:52 AM

One thing that may help is making sure you are getting some protein when you eat a carb or a sugary food. A nut butter, cheese if you tolerate it, nuts or meat of some kind. The carbs will raise your blood sugar fairly quickly but without a protein it will also crash it back down pretty quick.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:52 AM

I agree with the post before mine. As long as I have protein with my carbs I do fine. I always carry almond with me and it helps. I also have a tendency to over do it on sugar, but as soon as I eat some almonds it helps balance me out.

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

I have to say, most of what's been posted here would make my blood sugar swing around like a roller coaster. Rice chex with sugar?! Ugh, I get a headache just reading that.

**Caveat - what I am posting below assumes reactive hypoglycemia as the topic, NOT diabetic hypoglycemia. While there is a lot of overlap, there are some significant differences.

Blood sugar goes up in response to carbs that are digested in the stomach/intestines and released into the blood stream, right? Well then:
* Very quickly digested carbs (sugars, simple starches) = Very quick rise in blood sugar
* More slowly digested carbs (complex carbs like beans, some whole grains) = Medium speed rise in blood sugar
* Fats, protein, fiber = Slow rise in blood sugar
* Larger quantities of either of these categories = larger total rise in blood sugar (obvious, I know)

Speed of the blood sugar rise (and, subsequent fall when insulin starts sequestering glucose in the cells) makes a difference in symptoms.

I would *highly* recommend balancing EACH AND EVERY meal with carbs, protein, fat, and fiber. Do this over a long period of time (days, weeks, months) and the body can gradually (sometimes) go longer and longer between eating, because you're balancing out your blood sugar levels. So, that may mean that rice chex is off the menu. These days, if the rest of my eating is good, I can sometimes get away with a bowl of rice kix, but I have to use coconut milk (for the fat) to help balance out its effect. (And it's before I teach a morning yoga class, where I'm about to use a good portion of that blood sugar increase anyway.)

Breakfast might still be toast (mmmm... Udi's!), but with generous amounts of peanut butter. Or a banana, but paired with an egg. Yesterday was fried rice (leftover rice, scrambled egg, frozen veggies) for me. Sometimes it's hot cereal - but millet grits (more protein/fiber than cream of rice) with flax meal (for more fat/fiber).

It takes some time thinking about how to balance ALL your meals, but the more balanced they are, the more space there is for *small* excursions out of balance.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 maelenebaby

maelenebaby

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

I am in the same category. I've had hypoglycemia since I was 6 yrs old. It went the other way for a few years to Diabetes and the doctors think it was from my body fighting the Celiac. Now that I'm gluten free for almost 4 months, the hypoglycemia is back. Have to be careful when I exercise as my blood sugar drops into the 50's sometimes and I can hardly navigate. I eat every couple hours too. 5-6 small meals a day just to keep my sugars level. I found too that if I eat sweets or candy, it drops lower faster. Reactive hypoglycemia they call that. So I 'try' to not eat too much sugar but of course I'm only human and I eat it anyway... It's a pain in the xxx being hypo half the time. Do you get really sleepy and groggy after a low? If mine drops into the 50's I can hardly move the rest of the day.

Corn and Rice Chex with choc chips and peanuts is my bag o goodies to carry with me and an endless supply of glucose tablets. sigh

Fix one thing, bring on another... there is no rest for the wicked..!!! :)

hi Jud3 yes I find I cant exercise either I get real shakey around the 70s. Im surprised you can let it drop that low I get real anxious If I did. Do you carry a meter? Glucose tabs are good but I think you need to eat a carb and protein afterwards. I do eat the rice chex thats pretty good for the morning it gets me by for an hour and a half. I talked to my dr today and she said with gluten we all have malabsorption and because of that it makes our blood sugar worse. She said once we heal, we will have better blood sugar control! that was awesome news to hear very promising what do you think?

#10 maelenebaby

maelenebaby

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

One thing that may help is making sure you are getting some protein when you eat a carb or a sugary food. A nut butter, cheese if you tolerate it, nuts or meat of some kind. The carbs will raise your blood sugar fairly quickly but without a protein it will also crash it back down pretty quick.

thank you ravenwoodglass, yes I eat a carb and protein at each meal but still find I have to eat every 1.5 hrs it sucks.

#11 maelenebaby

maelenebaby

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

I have to say, most of what's been posted here would make my blood sugar swing around like a roller coaster. Rice chex with sugar?! Ugh, I get a headache just reading that.

**Caveat - what I am posting below assumes reactive hypoglycemia as the topic, NOT diabetic hypoglycemia. While there is a lot of overlap, there are some significant differences.

Blood sugar goes up in response to carbs that are digested in the stomach/intestines and released into the blood stream, right? Well then:
* Very quickly digested carbs (sugars, simple starches) = Very quick rise in blood sugar
* More slowly digested carbs (complex carbs like beans, some whole grains) = Medium speed rise in blood sugar
* Fats, protein, fiber = Slow rise in blood sugar
* Larger quantities of either of these categories = larger total rise in blood sugar (obvious, I know)

Speed of the blood sugar rise (and, subsequent fall when insulin starts sequestering glucose in the cells) makes a difference in symptoms.

I would *highly* recommend balancing EACH AND EVERY meal with carbs, protein, fat, and fiber. Do this over a long period of time (days, weeks, months) and the body can gradually (sometimes) go longer and longer between eating, because you're balancing out your blood sugar levels. So, that may mean that rice chex is off the menu. These days, if the rest of my eating is good, I can sometimes get away with a bowl of rice kix, but I have to use coconut milk (for the fat) to help balance out its effect. (And it's before I teach a morning yoga class, where I'm about to use a good portion of that blood sugar increase anyway.)

Breakfast might still be toast (mmmm... Udi's!), but with generous amounts of peanut butter. Or a banana, but paired with an egg. Yesterday was fried rice (leftover rice, scrambled egg, frozen veggies) for me. Sometimes it's hot cereal - but millet grits (more protein/fiber than cream of rice) with flax meal (for more fat/fiber).

It takes some time thinking about how to balance ALL your meals, but the more balanced they are, the more space there is for *small* excursions out of balance.

Hi there ur post makes a lot of sense, So since I eat rice as my carb and meat, what should I add for my fat? I try to add avacados but they get expensive. Since I have rice chex for breakfast should I add coconut milk as well? I also make fried rice but cant have eggs what should I add for fats?

#12 maelenebaby

maelenebaby

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

Yes, plain rice and potatoes gets old! Cream of Rice cereal is gluten free. It's pretty good. I add brown sugar and raisins to mine. Rice chex is good with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on it and it makes the best marshmallow treats. I usually eat something every 3 hours. But in between that, I am always drinking something.

3 hours? thats awesome you are very blessed! that is my goal to go 3 hours without eating maybe in time...

#13 Happyw5

Happyw5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

I don't know if I am hypoglycemic or not, however, if I don't eat the right foods I get super shaky and sick. My morning are the worst-I actually eat more then half of my calories for the whole day in the morning. I usually eat left over supper for breakfast, or I have udis toast with a can of white meat chicken and cheese. Then about 30 minutes later I have to eat something again so I don't get shaky. By afternoon and night I am fine to not eat much at all. Is this what hypoglycemia is like?

#14 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:42 AM

I don't know if I am hypoglycemic or not, however, if I don't eat the right foods I get super shaky and sick. My morning are the worst-I actually eat more then half of my calories for the whole day in the morning. I usually eat left over supper for breakfast, or I have udis toast with a can of white meat chicken and cheese. Then about 30 minutes later I have to eat something again so I don't get shaky. By afternoon and night I am fine to not eat much at all. Is this what hypoglycemia is like?

You really should go in and get tested and not just accept this and hope it will go away as you heal. If you get tested and find out you will have the info. and tools to better manage it and feel better. It may go away as you heal but better to know so you can better manage it 'till then.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#15 Happyw5

Happyw5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thanks, I know I should get it checked. But doctors think I am crazy at this point so I think I will hold off. They just put me on anxiety medicine-they think I am over stressed and my symptoms aren't "real"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: