22 replies to this topic

#16 maelenebaby

maelenebaby

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

Thanks, I know I should get it checked. But doctors think I am crazy at this point so I think I will hold off. They just put me on anxiety medicine-they think I am over stressed and my symptoms aren't "real"

hey there i never got tested i went to an herbalist and she told me i had it. U dont have to go through that terrible fasting test to find out. u can just get a meter and randomly test when you feel shaky and if its below 70 then you are hypo. thats how i know i am. trust me i used to get anxiety real bad and they tried to put me on antidepressants. im glad i found out what was causing it. dont give up just eat when u feel anxious and youll be fine=)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 bolddog

bolddog

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

I find a low GI / GL diet helps greatly in avoiding hypos.

Things like Beans, Lentils, plain organic yoghurt and, of course, protein ( no I'm not a veggie :D )

With rice, potatoes and such I'll be a trembling wreck within a couple of hours without followup food

There are lots of sites around listing GI / GL for foods for example

http://www.glycemicindex.com/main.htm

#18 Stellar003

Stellar003

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:01 AM

Pre-diagnosis I was not hypoglycemic, but I've found that now that I am gluten free...I get shaky in the morning if I don't instantly eat. So, I have to eat some protein quickly and then eat way more regularly than i used to. It's no fun, but that is how my nutritionist said to eat anyway. I live on rice cakes and almond butter. Also Lara bars are always in my purse. It sounds like i need to be tested again for blood sugar issues also....

#19 Evangeline

Evangeline

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

Thanks, I know I should get it checked. But doctors think I am crazy at this point so I think I will hold off. They just put me on anxiety medicine-they think I am over stressed and my symptoms aren't "real"

For those who are hypoglycemic, I would remove corn and soy from the diet entirely. Remember that corn is in EVERYTHING processed and has over 1000 different names. Type in "Corn allergy" to Google and see the list of different names/products. Many, many Celiacs are corn and soy intolerant and don't even know it. Many are also coffee intolerant. Try this type of diet and see if the hypoglycemia goes away.

#20 majones

majones

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:20 AM

Oh my goodness... you don't know how happy I am to find this. I've been so incredibly tired lately... I can barely get through school then come home and nap before work. I eat about five times a day as it is, with protein at every interval, but still I find myself dizzy, tired and completely worn out.
I went to the doctor the other day and she told me I am hypoglycemic. GREAT. I eat so much already, a good balance of fruits, vegetables, protein and good carbs, how am I suppose to eat more?!
It's good to see I'm not alone.

#21 jacobw

jacobw

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Does anyone get leg pains with either their celiac/wheat allergy and/or hypoglycemia?

#22 Em314

Em314

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

I have similar issues as well and am in the same boat of having to figure out new "emergency foods." I'm doing the chex thing too (guess we all have the same thought process, lol!), and have also been using candy I know if gluten-free (M&Ms and Starburst)- which isn't ideal but works as a quick rescue, though long-term I suspect it perpetuates the problem. Have also over the years taken to chewing gum (somewhat compulsively) but I may have to switch brands (I'm researching that.) Only suggestion I've not seen yet is dried fruit. Little boxes of raisins are (for example) relatively cheap and portable.

I've in general found keeping a balanced diet helps (durrr) and also have found that knowing when I'm likely to get low blood sugar and eating prophylactically helps. ex. I know I will crash if I don't eat within an hour or two of exercising. As I exercise in the morning, this means I essentially have to have two breakfasts (I either eat again early at work, or if I'm heading out socially have something before going out the door.)

I've been very much hoping that the celiac is at least partly responsible for this and am hoping like heck it gets better or goes away completely, because it's really kind of ridiculous to have to eat this often. I get that small frequent meals are "supposed" to be healthier, but I don't think they're supposed to be medically necessary. :/
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#23 Darkfire Ann

Darkfire Ann

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

I was dxed with this long before Celiac. Apparently MANY Celiac patients have this issue with blood sugar. I was also told alcohol makes it worse. I was a social drinker at the time. No more. I do not do much sugar and the only real starch I can eat is potatoes but I do not get sick of them ever. It used to make my SO's so sad/upset/scared. I would be starving then get so foggy I couldn't explain what I wanted to eat then I wouldn't be hungry anymore and almost faint. It is scary sometimes. I seem to be more stable these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: