This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There Anyone That Doesn't React When Glutened?

zus888

zus888 Contributor

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that can't tell when they've been glutened? My dietitian says he has no symptoms and that there are many people who have no reaction to gluten when they eat it while on the gluten-free diet. But he also stressed that even though you may not "feel" it, there's still an autoimmune component going on that is a risk to your health.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zimmer Rookie

I don't have any reaction. I've been gluten-free for only a few weeks, though, and I understand that over time you become more sensitive. So I expect that might change for me in the future. It's nice not to have a bad reaction, but at the same time, it makes it very hard to know if you've had any CC or accidental glutening. I figure for me the only way to gauge my diet will be through blood tests.

adab8ca Enthusiast

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that can't tell when they've been glutened? My dietitian says he has no symptoms and that there are many people who have no reaction to gluten when they eat it while on the gluten-free diet. But he also stressed that even though you may not "feel" it, there's still an autoimmune component going on that is a risk to your health.

I think that is definitely true. I was diagnosed 6 months ago but only started getting sick about a year ago. Nothing before that but my villi were totally damamged, the GI doc said this has been going on for years.

After bloodwork but before biopsy last summer I went gluten-free for a month. Then I had to eat gluten for 6 weeks before the biopsy and I felt absolutely no different.

Sharonmarie Rookie

I am one of the few that doesn't react violently to gluten. I just had another upper endoscopy and my villi are very bad! Dr. said I am NOT on a Gluten Free diet! I am following the diet but I do suspect that I can not trust foods to be gluten free anyplace except home! Even though they claim to be. The symptoms I experience are constipation, psoriasis, and depression. Maybe dry skin is a side effect too. I don't know... I am feeling very discouraged.

jeslk Apprentice

I don't react, and it has me stressed for two reasons: first, I'm worried that I won't know about cross-contamination and could be hurting myself without knowing it. And the second reason is that there are a few people in my life that insist that I shouldn't worry so much about cross-contamination since I don't have symptoms. They act as if I'm being paranoid for no reason.

And so I'm actually hoping that I'll start to develop symptoms so that I'll know - crazy, right?

Sharonmarie Rookie

Not at all crazy! I know where your coming from! Most people I know think I am being paranoid when I mention cross contamination. It does make me feel badly!

zus888 Contributor

I agree. I was just telling my friend today that I hope I'm the kind of person that reacts when glutened so that I KNOW if I'm being affected. If there's no reaction, I could be constantly glutened and not even know it and consequently be unable to remove the source.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Absolutely no clue if I have been glutened. I almost never eat out, am extremely cautious with CC and incredibly vigilent with whatever I eat. However, I am concerned that what if there is something I am ingesting such as my lipstick or some weird thing like that is not truly gluten-free. I was TOLD it is but without a reaction how the heck do I truly know for sure? My dietician told me it is more dangerous for silent celiacs than those with lots of symptoms. Having said that, I feel bad for those who get so terribly ill - that would be awful.

When I was on my 5 month gluten challenge I felt soooooo good eating gluten. That is what makes this extra tough for me. :( So I try to envision my little villi all straight like little soldiers that are working hard inside me. :D

aeraen Apprentice

I just can't imagine how hard it would be to stick to gluten-free if there were not symptoms to remind me just WHY I have to do this.

Being reminded by the occasional glutening incident is what keeps me on the straight and narrow.

love2travel Mentor

I just can't imagine how hard it would be to stick to gluten-free if there were not symptoms to remind me just WHY I have to do this.

Being reminded by the occasional glutening incident is what keeps me on the straight and narrow.

It's extremely tough as I have to be super dilligent(well, we all do). But because there are no reminders sometimes I wonder if the biopsy results were actually mine?! :huh: Plus I enjoyed being on the gluten challenge a little too much - I was pigging out on all my favourites with no ill effects (except for my insides). My family members are extremely good but others don't get it because I don't get sick or look ill so always wonder why I bother. :angry:

jeslk Apprentice

For me, being diagnosed with two types of cancer makes it VERY easy to stick to it. I mean, I HATE it and soooo wish i could eat some of my old favorites, but i haven't considered cheating yet (im still new to this, though <_< )

I can't prove that the cancers are related, but I'm not taking any chances. I think that's why I'm so paranoid about not knowing if I've been glutened.

aeraen Apprentice

Never thought I would say this, but I feel sorry for all of you who are asymptomatic. I certainly wouldn't want cancer to be my first symptom.

It's almost like those kids who do not feel pain and don't know when they are putting their hands on a hot burner.

elk Rookie

Do you have any symptoms, including those that aren't GI related? i.e., migraines, anxiety, palpitations, etc. ALL of my symptoms are neurological and now that I'm starting to see improvement after 6 months of being gluten free, I'm convinced most of my problems are gluten related.

love2travel Mentor

Do you have any symptoms, including those that aren't GI related? i.e., migraines, anxiety, palpitations, etc. ALL of my symptoms are neurological and now that I'm starting to see improvement after 6 months of being gluten free, I'm convinced most of my problems are gluten related.

Had migraines but they have stopped about 10 years ago, thankfully. One thing that is likely related is having several miscarriages (no children). I also have a severe back injury (3 years ago - herniated discs, myofascial pain, IT band syndrome, sciatica and so on) and that pain is growing worse. Must usually stand up to eat and lie down on the floor to watch TV. If I go anywhere in a vehicle we must stop every ten minutes to stretch. Can rarely go to church because it is so hard to sit. When I do, I must constantly walk around in the back. Going to a restaurant is doubly bad because I must sit with a lumbar support and get up and walk around every ten minutes, let alone coping with gluten-free. Have to get up at night frequently to walk around. Although I had an actual injury perhaps the increasing pain is due to celiac disease. Not sure on that one.

Some medical people have told me they believe I also have fibromyalgia - am awaiting to see yet another surgeo on that. Our waiting lists in Canada can be 12-18 months! I would give almost anything for my back/legs/shoulders et.al. to be healed. ;)

So, I have had not one single day without lots of pain in three years but thankfully no tummy stuff, rashes, migraines. I indeed can empathize with those who have pain. It is debilitating and downright nasty. As I have great difficulty with getting much exercise I have also gained weight which doesn't help out one little bit! :(

jeslk Apprentice

I don't think I do. The only thing I can point to is that I've been slightly depressed for a few years now - I've always attributed it to the stress of my first cancer diagnosis, plus the daily stresses of work, kids, etc. - now I'm wondering if maybe the celiac has something to do with it. Even if it does, though, it really is not much to speak of - a little bit lower energy and a bigger desire to watch TV :rolleyes: - but I've continued to be very functioing.

etta694 Explorer

Had migraines but they have stopped about 10 years ago, thankfully. One thing that is likely related is having several miscarriages (no children). I also have a severe back injury (3 years ago - herniated discs, myofascial pain, IT band syndrome, sciatica and so on) and that pain is growing worse. Must usually stand up to eat and lie down on the floor to watch TV. If I go anywhere in a vehicle we must stop every ten minutes to stretch. Can rarely go to church because it is so hard to sit. When I do, I must constantly walk around in the back. Going to a restaurant is doubly bad because I must sit with a lumbar support and get up and walk around every ten minutes, let alone coping with gluten-free. Have to get up at night frequently to walk around. Although I had an actual injury perhaps the increasing pain is due to celiac disease. Not sure on that one.

Some medical people have told me they believe I also have fibromyalgia - am awaiting to see yet another surgeo on that. Our waiting lists in Canada can be 12-18 months! I would give almost anything for my back/legs/shoulders et.al. to be healed. ;)

So, I have had not one single day without lots of pain in three years but thankfully no tummy stuff, rashes, migraines. I indeed can empathize with those who have pain. It is debilitating and downright nasty. As I have great difficulty with getting much exercise I have also gained weight which doesn't help out one little bit! :(

I hear you on wait times.. I'm from SK. One of the things that has changed for me in 9 mths is that I went from feeling like 80 to feeling like 35..okay.. 50 (but a GOOD 50) again. It would take me a minute or 2 just to straighten up from sitting and all my joints were sore and stiff. I still have some soreness and stiffness but not anything like I did before starting the diet.

Gail Marie Newbie

it takes a lot of gluten for me to experience symptoms. I ate some rice krispy treats the last week of Dec. 2010. I ate like the whole box, yes, I pigged out! Rice Krispies has malt flavoring which is made from barley :(, found that out a lil too late. The last week in Feb. I realized I was "begining" to feel a lil better. That's a long time! Anyone else take that long to start to feel better? of course it was LOTS of gluten. My symptoms are mostly fatigue and some constipation. Which Mag 07 works wonders for constipation.

Health & Happiness to all!

Gail

etta694 Explorer

A few tiny Ichiban noodles in one bite of salad locked me up for 3 weeks.... I'm not surprised that you were out of commission for 2 mths after a whole box. It feels good when it's over... :P

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

I don't think I do. The only thing I can point to is that I've been slightly depressed for a few years now - I've always attributed it to the stress of my first cancer diagnosis, plus the daily stresses of work, kids, etc. - now I'm wondering if maybe the celiac has something to do with it. Even if it does, though, it really is not much to speak of - a little bit lower energy and a bigger desire to watch TV :rolleyes: - but I've continued to be very functioing.

I, too don't have violent reactions when I get glutened, but I've learned that I'm really sensitive now and I can't eat a lot of gluten free processed products. I usually get a sore throat and a slightly tender stomach, but that's usually it. I've been gluten free for 18 months now, but I know I've had a form of silent celiac disease for at least twenty years. I didn't have any GI symptoms until three months before I was diagnosed. And it was just acid reflex, but it was really bad. But I was always sick and always going to the doctors for one thing or another. I also had trouble with feeling tried, depression along with anxiety and insomnia. And I was being closely followed for lymphoma for the last eight years and then in 2009 I was diagnosed with a rare form of thyroid cancer. It wasn't until a year after I had the radiation treatment that I finally was diagnosed with celiac disease. I had to get deathly sick for that diagnosis.

I do think I've gotten more sensitive to gluten now. I do keep a food journal and I document all of my reactions, but they are very mild -just the sore throat and tender tummy. I always get the sore throat the next day after I get any cross contamination. It takes a while for my body to react, but everyone's so different.

The good news is a lot of these health problems will go away! :) I haven't had a sinus infection or bronchitis since going gluten free! (I was getting them 4 times a year) I sleep great, depression and anxiety are gone. And I don't have to get CT scans anymore for the docs to watch me for lymphoma. I've been cancer free for almost three years now! I feel so much healthier!

zus888- I think we might have the same dietitian! :)

zus888 Contributor

LOL!! Mark Dinga? :D

Small world!

catsmeow Contributor

Absolutely no clue if I have been glutened. I almost never eat out, am extremely cautious with CC and incredibly vigilent with whatever I eat. However, I am concerned that what if there is something I am ingesting such as my lipstick or some weird thing like that is not truly gluten-free. I was TOLD it is but without a reaction how the heck do I truly know for sure? My dietician told me it is more dangerous for silent celiacs than those with lots of symptoms. Having said that, I feel bad for those who get so terribly ill - that would be awful.

When I was on my 5 month gluten challenge I felt soooooo good eating gluten. That is what makes this extra tough for me. :( So I try to envision my little villi all straight like little soldiers that are working hard inside me. :D

What is CC??

love2travel Mentor

What is CC??

CC=Cross Contamination (i.e. making gluten crepes without thoroughly cleaning before using the same crepe maker to make gluten-free crepes and so on...).

catsmeow Contributor

CC=Cross Contamination (i.e. making gluten crepes without thoroughly cleaning before using the same crepe maker to make gluten-free crepes and so on...).

Thank you.....I hate cross contamination!!!! It's got me in trouble to many times!

I can't believe I didn't figure that out, I was putting the word Celiac with it and trying to figure out what the other C was..... I'll have to learn the boards acronyms.

love2travel Mentor

:lol:

Thank you.....I hate cross contamination!!!! It's got me in trouble to many times!

I can't believe I didn't figure that out, I was putting the word Celiac with it and trying to figure out what the other C was..... I'll have to learn the boards acronyms.

No worries! I remember wondering what it was, too (as well as DH and a whole bunch of others!). :lol:

c12 Rookie

Severity of the disease definitely varies from person to person.

If I eat something that has gluten in it as a hidden ingredient, my symptoms are usually subtle...fatigue, brain fog, irritability, skin break outs - all of this usually lasting only a few days. It's more annoying than debilitating. I only get the obvious gastrointestinal sickness if I accidentally eat significant amounts of gluten - which truthfully almost never happens.

And I'm not sensitive at all to cross-contamination.

Archived