Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free Substitute For Cheerios?

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

We have a little muffin who's starting on finger foods. I have celiac disease and we're keeping the baby gluten-free until we can get her tested. What are some good gluten-free, no- or low-sugar cereals that can be snacked on like Cheerios? (Something we'll both find tasty.)

Thanks!

Stephanie

Ads by Google:

I bought a box of gluten free o's like Cheerios at Aldi's. I just gave it to my sister for her little ones yesterday, so I don't have the exact name. But it was the only gluten free cereal they carried and it looked exactly like Cheerio's.

Kix are gluten free!!

Chex has gluten free cereals. Though some might be tougher for little ones than others.

I'm thinking of Corn Chex.

Good luck with your little Muffin!

Nature's Path has some very nice cereals. Their 'cheerios' taste good..but, of course, not like wheat.. more like toasted rice. http://www.naturespath.com/eat-well/gluten-free-celiac-diet

Envirokids makes some gluten-free cereals. My daughter likes the Leaping Lemurs, but it's shaped more like Kix.

Hi Stephanie.

Glutino has some cereals like Cheerio's.

http://www.glutino.com/our-products/other/

I also wanted to add that if you keep her gluten-free she will not have any gluten in her system and will test negative. A person needs to be eating gluten in order for the testing to be as accurate as possible.

I have an 11 month old that is on a gluten-free diet and we give him the corn Chex for breakfast each morning. We just crush up the pieces and then put some formula in there so it gets mushy.

I keep hearing that Kix are gluten free but the box doesn't say "gluten-free". I'm still getting used to reading food labels so for now I'm just buying products that are labeled as gluten free. When I read the kix box there's an ingredient in there that he has gotten sick from before (i believe it's vitamin E) so I've been hesitant to try it.

I'm glad you posted this question! I keep trying to find things I can throw into the daiper bag. I've tried looking for gluten-free cereals at our grocery store but a number of them say they may contain traces of peanuts- and my son may have a peanut allergy.

I have an 11 month old that is on a gluten-free diet and we give him the corn Chex for breakfast each morning. We just crush up the pieces and then put some formula in there so it gets mushy.

I keep hearing that Kix are gluten free but the box doesn't say "gluten-free". I'm still getting used to reading food labels so for now I'm just buying products that are labeled as gluten free. When I read the kix box there's an ingredient in there that he has gotten sick from before (i believe it's vitamin E) so I've been hesitant to try it.

I'm glad you posted this question! I keep trying to find things I can throw into the daiper bag. I've tried looking for gluten-free cereals at our grocery store but a number of them say they may contain traces of peanuts- and my son may have a peanut allergy.

Kix doesn't contain gluten ingredients, but is not tested and is not made in a gluten-free facility. I've read on this board that many people eat them, but we won't give them to our son. I think the opportunity for CC is too high.

Hi Stephanie.

Glutino has some cereals like Cheerio's.

http://www.glutino.com/our-products/other/

I also wanted to add that if you keep her gluten-free she will not have any gluten in her system and will test negative. A person needs to be eating gluten in order for the testing to be as accurate as possible.

I know that about the test, but she won't be getting tested for quite a while so I'm not introducing gluten until closer to test time. We don't live in the United States and they don't do the test where we are. We won't be back in the States for at least a year.

Oh my God, I just read the other post about Kix not being gluten free due to containing oats which are invariably cross contaminated. Scratch that off the list. I am sorry about that- I hope you didn't get them. Yikes. I gotta tell my sister not to give them to her kids too! The oat content makes them risky.

I've been nibbling honey nut Chex (corn, I think, and labeled gluten free) for a few months now. Not quite honey nut Cheerios, but the closest I've found. Had 'em with cereal Saturday night and I felt like I was in heaven. The crunch! Yum!

Hello,

We have a little muffin who's starting on finger foods. I have celiac disease and we're keeping the baby gluten-free until we can get her tested. What are some good gluten-free, no- or low-sugar cereals that can be snacked on like Cheerios? (Something we'll both find tasty.)

Thanks!

Stephanie

my daughter loves these puffs. Very healthy and tasty!

http://shop.happybabyfood.com/our-products/happypuffs.html

eh, you don't even need to introduce cereal. my 10 month old is eating lots of solids, but the cheerio subs tend to be harder than the real kind. (of course, my inlaws gave my daughter cheerios this weekend while they were here - not actually against our plans, but ugh! - she seemed to be just fine with them.)

we do a lot of hummus, beans, lentil soup, fruits, roasted veggies, chicken, and only recently started giving her any rice. she also gets my hot cereal (millet grits with flax meal) but is ho-hum about it, and really just doesn't like oatmeal.

I found Barbara's Bakery has an O's cereal that is gluten-free and was not too crunchy. Our daughter loved them! http://shop.barbarasbakery.com/ I found them in the health food section of our grocery store.

Kix DO NOT contain Oats, the post you read was like 4 years old.

I found Barbara's Bakery has an O's cereal that is gluten-free and was not too crunchy. Our daughter loved them! http://shop.barbarasbakery.com/ I found them in the health food section of our grocery store.

They do, however, have oats (and not gluten-free-certified oats) which are likely quite contaminated with gluten. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about the gluten-free oat certification on their cereal; I don't see any such note on the website, but perhaps it's one the box?)