33 replies to this topic

#1 Nat1

Nat1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

I desparately need some ideas. Being gluten free, dairy and egg free, what can I have for breakfast that is high in protein? gluten-free cereals just don't cut it...I've been eating a great protein bar but just realized I shouldn't eat it because it has oats.

What do you eat for breakfast? Please help!
Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

Chicken, steak, pork are all good sources of protein. Nuts are also good.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

Sometimes I eat cereal or hot cereal like cream of buckwheat or Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty. Then I will have some Hormel sliced ham or turkey. I usually microwave it for 15 seconds to warm it up.

You can eat anything for breakfast really. But leftover pasta or pork chops don't appeal to me.

Toast with peanut butter, sunflower seed butter or almond butter. PB&J sandwich. gluten-free waffles or pancakes with a nut butter.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:59 AM

Have you ever tried quinoa? It's a wonderful grain, the only grain that is considered a complete protein! Usually, the only way to get a complete protein is to eat meat or to pair non-meat items like brown rice and beans. "Complete Protein" just means it contains all the essential amino acids that your body needs. It also has carbs, fibre, and healthy fats. You cook it much like rice, the ratio of water is 2:1 (2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa), it has a nice texture, and you can add anything to it, really. For breakfast, I would add some berries (frozen or fresh), or raisins and apple, some cinnamon, honey, and almond milk would make it nice and creamy, if you can find one without soy (I haven't yet, so if you have, let me know :P).

Not everyone can eat steak or chicken for breakfast, so this is a nice alternative that is still meeting your dietary needs, yet is still kinda "breakfast-y" ;)

#5 aeraen

aeraen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:01 AM

I don't have the dairy/eggs issue, but for breakfast I eat my own home made brown rice hot cereal.

Once a month, I toast brown rice in the oven on a jelly roll sheet. Then I run it through the coffee grinder (after I clean it out of course, I like coffee in the morning, just not IN my cereal). Then, each morning I mix 1/4 cup ground brown rice w/ 1 & 1/2 cups liquid (I use half milk half water, just because I like it) and nuke it at half power for 10 minutes. Mix a little gluten free vanilla, a teaspoon of sugar and I'm set. Two pounds of rice last me a whole month.

#6 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

It has taken me awhile to adapted to a different way of eating and breakfast :blink: but now it is pretty normal for me to eat one of these for breakfast::

ground pork patty with a side of fruit

lamb stir-fry

ground lamb gravy with rice

lamb chop :D with a side of fried sweet potatoes

ground turkey and rice patty ( ground turkey,red onion,cooked rice mixed together and fried)

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#7 seashele2

seashele2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

For breakfast, I would add some berries (frozen or fresh), or raisins and apple, some cinnamon, honey, and almond milk would make it nice and creamy, if you can find one without soy (I haven't yet, so if you have, let me know :P).

Silk Pure Almond milk in the refrigerated case states on the carton it is soy-free and I haven't had any allergic reaction to it. Seems strange that Silk would be soy-free, but no eczema from it for me (my first soy symptom), so you might want to give it a try.

#8 jststric

jststric

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

Some great ideas here! I just wanted to add that you aren't alone!! I am in the same boat you are. But I AM able to do some oats, so oatmeal is good for me. I also gave up on the idea that breakfast food was the only foods I could eat in the mornings. Many days, leftovers from last night's supper is my breakfast!! Who says it can only be eaten later in the day?

#9 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:42 AM

Sear some unpeeled potatoes, add thick chunks of gluten-free chorizo and season with a touch of smoked paprika and S and P, and throw the whole pan into the oven to roast. Sprinkle with scallions or ramps. I know that you cannot unfortunately have dairy ( :angry: ) but for those who can you can sprinkle with some old cheddar, manchego, whatever.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#10 Nat1

Nat1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

Chicken, steak, pork are all good sources of protein. Nuts are also good.

Do you eat them for breakfast though?

#11 Nat1

Nat1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

Thank you so much everybody! Great ideas here. It sounds like I need to expand my concept of breakfast :)

#12 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

It has taken me awhile to adapted to a different way of eating and breakfast :blink: but now it is pretty normal for me to eat one of these for breakfast::

ground pork patty with a side of fruit

lamb stir-fry

ground lamb gravy with rice

lamb chop :D with a side of fried sweet potatoes

ground turkey and rice patty ( ground turkey,red onion,cooked rice mixed together and fried)

forgive me if im repeating myself... but can i come over to your house????? LAMB & SWEET POTATOES???? TURKEY/RICE patties????? YUMMMMMM :P
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#13 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

This might work for you: a gluten free, eggless pancake or flatbread made of a buckwheat blend.

Buckwheat Pan- Flatcake

1 heaping tablespoon of ground up toasted buckwheat (kasha) kernels (use coffeegrinder or kitchen mortar. can also use gluten-free buckwheat flour. kasha tastes better)
1 heaping tablespoon of gluten free chickpea (garbanzo) flour
1 heaping tablespoon of potato starch

pinch of cream of tartar
pinch of salt
good sized pinch (about a quarter teasp.) of baking soda

spice to taste, optional. (cumin, cinnamon, cloves, curry, anise seed, caraway, grated orange peel - can be very versatile)
sweetener to taste, optional. I use a tiny glop of molasses and agave

pure apple cider vinegar, about a half teaspoon
olive oil, about a teaspoon
water, small amount

olive oil (or other) for frying in skillet. preheat oil in pan, carefully.

In a bowl, put the oil, vinegar, agave/molasses if using, and a tablespoon or two of water, and mix. Add the buckwheat first, and stir to soften, while you are measuring out the other ingredients. Then add them. Add enough water to make a thick pancake consistency, and stir well til blended. Pour batter into heated oiled pan. Cook until bottom is done, edges are drying, and bubbles are coming up thru, then flip and finish cooking.

The beauty of this is that, depending on how it is flavored and sweetened, or not, it can be used as a sandwich bread when cut in half, or as a pancake base, as gluten-free nan with Indian curry, or topped with anything. One of these topped with sliced banana is very filling for breakfast, for example. You could also add additional protein, such as a dairy free cheese or some nut butter. Hummus dip would also be good, as well as a bean/meat chile. :)

#14 starrytrekchic

starrytrekchic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

Apples or celery with peanut butter or another nut butter.

Any nuts. Anything with beans or rice.

You may try to find a protein shake mix that's gluten free (I don't know of any off the top of my head).

#15 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

forgive me if im repeating myself... but can i come over to your house????? LAMB & SWEET POTATOES???? TURKEY/RICE patties????? YUMMMMMM :P

:D you are welcome to come over any time Cass :D

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: