25 replies to this topic

#16 Nat1

Nat1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Wow, what incredible stories! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!! I really needed to hear them; now my journey doesn't seem quite as overwhelming. I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

It helps a lot!! What an amazing story! So glad you are well and cancer-free!

(I know this is Nat's post, but I'm following it like a hunting dog LOL)

You are so inspiring!! I am weeping with joy at the stories because you all found healing!

Parts of your story are similar to mine-- the sore throat, anxiety, depression, insomnia. I have been dealing with YEARS of ill health and chronic, disabling pain and yet, I feel as if I will be all right in the end. I spent thousands of $$$ on tests, therapies, etc... for 3 years...No help from any doctors, testing, etc...they just shrugged their shoulders at me. said it was "IBS" or "GERD". Now that I know what I am dealing with, I will be okay. (I figured it out myself, researching tirelessly with my foggy brain-- and told my doctor who said OMG! you are right....) :o

The people on here ARE more knowledgeable than any medical professional. I am grateful to you all!
Thank you!!

Hi IrishHeart!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to this yesterday. I'm so glad you figured this out on your own and pushed forward! I can't tell you how many doctors I went through in the last twenty years ... Clueless! :blink:

And yes, you will get better! It's more work, more cooking and more preparing, but it's so worth it to feel good! I can't believe all the things I can get done in one day now. I have so much more energy! Gluten completely effected my moods, also. I'm a more pleasant person since I've been strictly gluten free. :D I heard the first two years are the hardest, but once you get through that, the diet becomes second nature.

Happy Healing and I hope you feel better soon! :)
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

Hi IrishHeart!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to this yesterday. I'm so glad you figured this out on your own and pushed forward! I can't tell you how many doctors I went through in the last twenty years ... Clueless! :blink:

And yes, you will get better! It's more work, more cooking and more preparing, but it's so worth it to feel good! I can't believe all the things I can get done in one day now. I have so much more energy! Gluten completely effected my moods, also. I'm a more pleasant person since I've been strictly gluten free. :D I heard the first two years are the hardest, but once you get through that, the diet becomes second nature.

Happy Healing and I hope you feel better soon! :)

Thank you, Lisa!! You make me believe ;) So happy you found good health!!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 tbritt

tbritt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

I have not been here a long time, but I have been here long enough to get better.

All my life I struggled with this mystery, but didn't know what it was. I had seizures, dizzy spells, anemia, lethargy, skin rashes, sore throats, acid reflux, ulcers, bowel problems, the works.

About 1 year ago, it reached the point that I got pain in my shoulder and neck I thought I was going to die. I couldn't sleep. I hurt so badly that I couldn't even lay on either side (or my back) without being in excruciating pain. My posture changed. I moved like a 90 year old woman. I hurt so badly and no doctor could figure it out. I did physical therapy, but kept getting worse. I took Naprelen daily, but it seemed to get worse. My stomach hurt. My neck and shoulder hurt. I ly my job teaching orchestra at a public school because I couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't raise my arm above my shoulder.

It was do or die as I was starting a new job. I didn't know what I would do. Doctor after doctor came back with nothing. One of them finally told me, "maybe it's something you're eating." That night, I had a dream, I went online and looked up the word "seliac" that I heard in my dream. Google corrected my spelling and I started doing research.

A rheumatologist tested my IGg, but it came back normal. He decided to put me on the gluten free diet anyway. It changed my life. I haven't been back to a doctor since.

Within one week, my neck pain was relieved to the point I could sleep again. A string of symptoms started to disappear. I don't remember what order they left, but I no longer had:
gas, loose stools, stomach ache, nausea, inability to eat, odd body odor, pain in my shoulder, shoulder impingement, neck pain, pain in my hips, pain in my elbows, swelling in my joints, etc.

Eventually, I found out that I couldn't tolerate oatmeal (even the gluten free kind). And I started to eliminate some more things I initially thought were gluten free. I live very strict on the diet. I don't eat at restaurants because I don't trust them. I don't cheat. Six months. And I'm better. Life is worth living again.

I occasionally ingest something accidentally. The gas comes and stomach pain come back, followed by some joint pain the following few days. It's completely manageable at this point. Never the excruciating pain like it was before.

It took about six months for it all to really get to where I didn't have daily pain. But I got there, you can too.

#20 Nat1

Nat1

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:03 AM

I have not been here a long time, but I have been here long enough to get better.

All my life I struggled with this mystery, but didn't know what it was. I had seizures, dizzy spells, anemia, lethargy, skin rashes, sore throats, acid reflux, ulcers, bowel problems, the works.

About 1 year ago, it reached the point that I got pain in my shoulder and neck I thought I was going to die. I couldn't sleep. I hurt so badly that I couldn't even lay on either side (or my back) without being in excruciating pain. My posture changed. I moved like a 90 year old woman. I hurt so badly and no doctor could figure it out. I did physical therapy, but kept getting worse. I took Naprelen daily, but it seemed to get worse. My stomach hurt. My neck and shoulder hurt. I ly my job teaching orchestra at a public school because I couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't raise my arm above my shoulder.

It was do or die as I was starting a new job. I didn't know what I would do. Doctor after doctor came back with nothing. One of them finally told me, "maybe it's something you're eating." That night, I had a dream, I went online and looked up the word "seliac" that I heard in my dream. Google corrected my spelling and I started doing research.

A rheumatologist tested my IGg, but it came back normal. He decided to put me on the gluten free diet anyway. It changed my life. I haven't been back to a doctor since.

Within one week, my neck pain was relieved to the point I could sleep again. A string of symptoms started to disappear. I don't remember what order they left, but I no longer had:
gas, loose stools, stomach ache, nausea, inability to eat, odd body odor, pain in my shoulder, shoulder impingement, neck pain, pain in my hips, pain in my elbows, swelling in my joints, etc.

Eventually, I found out that I couldn't tolerate oatmeal (even the gluten free kind). And I started to eliminate some more things I initially thought were gluten free. I live very strict on the diet. I don't eat at restaurants because I don't trust them. I don't cheat. Six months. And I'm better. Life is worth living again.

I occasionally ingest something accidentally. The gas comes and stomach pain come back, followed by some joint pain the following few days. It's completely manageable at this point. Never the excruciating pain like it was before.

It took about six months for it all to really get to where I didn't have daily pain. But I got there, you can too.

What a story! Thank you for sharing!

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

Keep them coming, guys! I am uplifted every single day I read one more!! Thank you thank you thank you!! :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#22 tbritt

tbritt

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

What a story! Thank you for sharing!

I forgot to mention I am also a violinist. The pain nearly made me quit. I am back to playing in symphonies and teaching six to seven hours a day. Hang in there.

#23 Brigit

Brigit

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:38 AM

I wanted to shout for joy this morning while cooking eggs for my husband and a young boy who is staying with us while he gets back on his feet.

I kept exclaiming outloud how great I felt! It has been weeks since I've had enough energy to do anything other than chuck some yoghurt and muesli into a bowl at 6am. This morning, I picked rocket in the garden, caramalized some tomatoes, scrambled some eggs and chucked some sprouts over it all with a wonderful sense of lightness and health!

Seems like a silly thing to be excited about, but I'm super grateful to not be suffering from jointpain, tiredness and dissiness anymore!!

Gluten free is proving its worth more and more! Specially cause I've lost just under 2kg's in the last 2 weeks. :) :)

#24 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

I wanted to shout for joy this morning while cooking eggs for my husband and a young boy who is staying with us while he gets back on his feet.

I kept exclaiming outloud how great I felt! It has been weeks since I've had enough energy to do anything other than chuck some yoghurt and muesli into a bowl at 6am. This morning, I picked rocket in the garden, caramalized some tomatoes, scrambled some eggs and chucked some sprouts over it all with a wonderful sense of lightness and health!

Seems like a silly thing to be excited about, but I'm super grateful to not be suffering from jointpain, tiredness and dissiness anymore!!

Gluten free is proving its worth more and more! Specially cause I've lost just under 2kg's in the last 2 weeks. :) :)

NOT A SILLY THING AT ALL, Brigit! :D :D :D

You are healing and that IS cause for celebration. You are making remarkable progress in a short time. Many of us have a long way to go and hearing your story lifts us all up!

Hooray for you, hon!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#25 Stellar003

Stellar003

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

It's so cool to hear this Brigitte!
I still have times throughout the day where I feel like I need to nap,
But I was telling someone today- something is beginning to feel different.
It's almost like my cells are beginning to feel alive, when I am awake,
I feel more awake than I used to. I used to drag my limbs around all day,
Every step was an effort. I feel so thankful to finally have an answer after so many
Years of feeling partially alive! :)

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:11 AM

It's so cool to hear this Brigitte!
I still have times throughout the day where I feel like I need to nap,
But I was telling someone today- something is beginning to feel different.
It's almost like my cells are beginning to feel alive, when I am awake,
I feel more awake than I used to. I used to drag my limbs around all day,
Every step was an effort. I feel so thankful to finally have an answer after so many
Years of feeling partially alive! :)

This is also good news--that you feel more awake and less "draggy"... :) ... progress!! :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: