20 replies to this topic

#16 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:16 PM

And, as cheesy as it sounds, an inspirational quote can sometimes help--as you can see I adopted your quote--well, the quote that you posted.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:37 PM

Tiffany mentioned not over sleeping and I think this is a good point. When I was a teenager I suffered with serious depression and I would come home from school and climb into bed and sleep all night. Almost everyday. Sleep becomes an easy way to hide from your problems instead of confronting them.

Jen-I have thought about a new career. I literally think about it everyday. I'm trying to decide what I really want out of life. A nine-to-five job with fewer responsibilities (what I have now) or a unconventional job with more self-motivation and being dependent on me only. I always thought the former was what would make me happy, but I'm starting to think otherwise now. But I'm really struggling with changing how I feel about myself and my self-confidence levels.

#18 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:31 PM

Please don't hate me if you are anti-gun!

Bullets and babes, now that's HOT! :)

Seriously I went through a period of very severe depression at the beginning of my gluten-free lifestyle. It just takes time to get things sorted out and on track. I work long hours but I make it a point not to take on too much outside of work either. It is more important that I take care of myself and my son first. Everything else will just have to wait.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#19 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:34 PM

This is the first time I have read the forum and wish to respond to your only eating fruit for $40 a plate. I was afraid to eat out for many months after my diagnosis and also I was too weak to leave the house for that length of time. But, I finally did and I was glad. Most restaurents are very accomidating, even the ones which are not chains. I have also had MANY servers that are familiar with what Gluten is. When, I know that I am eating in a place that does not carry a gluten free menu, I then carry an attractive fabric lunch bag (with ice pack) and put in my salad dressing, my butter or margarine, any toppings I want on a baked potatoe and a very small salt shaker with sea salt. At first I was very uncomfortable doing this, but then, I got over it. Yes, I usually order safely, unless I am at PF Changs or the Outback. I order broiled steak with no seasonings, baked potatoe with nothing on it and a tossed salad without dressing, croutons, etc. Even at my neighborhood restaurant where they only grill, they clean off a section of the grill for my steak. Just ask questions!!!. If his birthday dinner menu has already been decided, then you can call the manager and explain your situation and have them substitute something you can eat. We have dined out with friends at restaurents that only serve family style and they have always accomidated me by letting me order by myself. I have never had a problem. If the server does not understand, they have always sent the manager over and the problem is solved. Good Luck and ENJOY the birthday dinner.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#20 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:46 PM

Bullets and babes, now that's HOT! :)

LOL - :lol:

Thanks Ian, I needed that! ;)

- Michelle :wub: