This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tropicana

Emme999

Emme999 Enthusiast

Here is my reply from Tropicana:

Hello Michelle:

Thank you for contacting us about Tropicana products.

We recognize that it is important to provide consumers with information so that they can make informed choices about the products they purchase. We are currently in the process of evaluating all of our products for the presence of the top eight allergens. At this time, we can not recommend products that list natural flavors or any other additives in the ingredient listing for people who are gluten intolerant.

Tropicana Pure Premium juices are the only juices that do not contain gluten. However, these Pure Premium juices (without any additives) are ones that include the plant numbers 48, 12 or 33. Plant information is located in the expiration code and can found following the month and day.

We hope this information is helpful.

Amy

=============================================

Hello. I have Celiac Disease and am unable to tolerate gluten (found in wheat, rye, barley and oats). I noticed that you have "modified food starch" on your ingredients list. Can you tell me the source? Are your drinks gluten-free?

Thanks,

- Michelle

EMAIL*MESSAGE*END

Well, now I know why I've been so down the past few days. There modified food starch *does* contain gluten! I've been drinking it every day :( :( :(

We bought the orange juice last week and I finished it off this morning - right before I got the email :( Usually I buy the Minute Maid but bought the Tropicana without thinking :( I saw "modified food starch" on the label last week but kept drinking it (because I'm an idiot) and assumed it was safe - just thought I'd send them an email to be sure.

I wonder how far this has set me back..? :( Poor little villi! I probably flattened them out again :(

- Michelle :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mytummyhurts Contributor

I don't really understand their answer. What do the plant numbers mean?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yep the only thing of theirs that is gluten free is Pure Premiums with no additives which sucks. I talked to them about it last year and they told me I should have just the regular orange juice with nothing added. I was bummed to because they have some really good flavors that I liked pre gluten free.

Hopefully they will get with the program soon....until then there are other orange juices we can have

Emme999 Enthusiast

Here is the reply I got on Minute Maid, when I inquired about their juices:

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company, parent Company of Minute Maid.

We are able to confirm that Coca-Cola classic, caffeine free Coca-Cola classic, Coca-Cola C2, Diet Coke, Diet Coke with Lemon, Diet Coke with Lime, caffeine free Diet Coke, Sprite, Sprite ReMix Berryclear, Diet Sprite Zero, vanilla Coke, diet vanilla Coke, cherry Coke, Fresca, and our 100% juice products (without added ingredients) are gluten free.

Additionally, we can tell you that all of our other products meet Codex's definition of gluten-free, which is less than 200 ppm (0.02%) gluten. Codex has examined the data and determined that less than 200 ppm gluten is below the level in which people with celiac disease would experience adverse reactions. However, at this time the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not have a regulatory definition of gluten-free.

We can assure you that the exact amount of gluten in these products is very low - perhaps even zero. Some minor ingredients in these products are manufactured from plants that gluten-sensitive people could react to, so we are unable to state categorically that they are totally gluten-free even though they may have undetectable levels of gluten in them. The Codex guideline provides a very low threshold for gluten content and exposures below this level are not expected to result in damage to the majority of gluten-sensitive individuals. However, extremely gluten-sensitive individuals should discuss consumption of these products with their health care provider.

We hope that this information is helpful. Should you have additional questions or comments, please visit our website again.

Joynetta

Industry and Consumer Affairs

The Coca-Cola Company

Stick with Minute Maid!

mytummyhurts Contributor

So any Tropicana labeled "pure premium" is safe, but that's it?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, their pure premium with no additives though.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I'm hoping the pure orange juice with only calcium added is gluten-free. There are no additives other than calcium. I haven't been reacting to it...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I thought the calcium one had natural flavor? If it does then its probably not safe

Carriefaith Enthusiast

The only ingredinets are 100% orange juice and calcium citrate malate. I think that would be ok.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Michelle, Were you drinking the 100% tropicana juice or another kind that made you sick? I drink the 100% kind with only calcium added but now I am worried about cross contamination. I wonder if they make their juices on the same lines? I was drinking Tropicana because I thought it was ok. Anyway, does anyone know of any safe orange juice brands. I think we should write a book on all the safe brands out there and update it every year.

Grrrr <_< I am just so annoyed how gluten and dairy is in everything... I think North Americans are obssessed with both. Hmmmm lets make orange juice but lets also put gluten in it just for fun! :lol: Sorry had to vent... I am just getting tired of this, you think something is safe and then guess what it's not :angry:

Tropicana Pure Premium juices are the only juices that do not contain gluten. However, these Pure Premium juices (without any additives) are ones that include the plant numbers 48, 12 or 33.
Good... I just checked and mine has 48. I just hope there is no cross contamination in these ones :(
celiac3270 Collaborator

I had been drinking the OJ w/ calcium for my first few months before finding out about this plant thing. Those numbers are not on it, though I can't imagine it having gluten. Just to be safe, I did without.

I now drink just the regular/original 100% orange juice.

anerissara Enthusiast

Ugh! Sorry you got glutened....I'll keep this in mind when I buy juice next. Sheesh, you'd think at least Orange Juice would be safe!

Emme999 Enthusiast

Carrie -

Wow, I so know what you mean when you say you are getting tired of dairy & gluten in everything! I've also got the egg & sesame allergies so finding safe stuff is not easy for me at all :( It sucks!

I was drinking their new "Light & Healthy" (Healthy.. ya right! NOT! ) that has 1/2 the calories & sugar. I think I probably cried every day that I drank it - and now I know where I was getting the gluten :(

Anyway - for a safe brand - see my previous post about Minute Maid. I have never had a problem with that and I copied their reply that I received from them above. I'm pretty sure that Minute Maid is safe. Or - in their words (it is one of the "other" products from the Coca-Cola company):

Additionally, we can tell you that all of our other products meet Codex's definition of gluten-free, which is less than 200 ppm (0.02%) gluten. Codex has examined the data and determined that less than 200 ppm gluten is below the level in which people with celiac disease would experience adverse reactions. However, at this time the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not have a regulatory definition of gluten-free.

- Michelle :wub:

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks Michelle, I have never got a severe reaction from the 100% tropicana juices, so hopefully that means that they are ok.

Can that much gluten harm us?

I now drink just the regular/original 100% orange juice.

celiac3270, I'm assuming this is tropicana juice... and you've been drinking it with no problems at all? I'm just trying to decide if the 100% stuff is safe to be drinking or not after all this.

VydorScope Proficient

*SOBS* I was planing to start getting these again now that we know its only gluten at falut. I LOVE Tropicana twisters and etc. *sobs*

celiac3270 Collaborator

That much gluten cannot harm us--which means we can drink anything Coke makes, basically.

Yes--this is the original Tropicana OJ...nothing added, no diet, no special flavors. It fits the quota with plant numbers and I've felt fine.

Sorry, can't get to the ingredients for the calcium--my connection's really slow today--check the carton, I guess for plant #s and natural flavors.

Emme999 Enthusiast
That much gluten cannot harm us--which means we can drink anything Coke makes, basically.

Just wanted to clarify that you are talking about the Minute Maid (from the Coca Cola company) being safe - *not* the Tropicana ;)

cdford Contributor

Adding gluten to juice is about as stupid as using anything other than potato starch to thicken potato soup. No more Tropicana Twisters in my fridge. My spouse and my daughter will not be pleased.

Emme999 Enthusiast

I'm banning Tropicana on principle! They can take their Pure Premium and stick it! :P

terri Contributor

Thanks so much for posting that. I buy cases of Tropicana at Costco in the small bottles. They say 100% orange juice from concentrate so I always assumed that they were just that. So, now I looked closely and saw "natural flavors" . Great! I've been drinking them weekly for over a year now. The Premuim Tropicana says "not from concentrate". I guess that's the big difference. No wonder I still have so many symptoms!

I went on the Celiac Society site you mentioned and looked up Splenda. It said forbidden - either contains gluten or can't be verified. Hate to tell you how much of that I ingest daily! Now I plan to call them and get to the bottom of it. I am making the switch to Stevia anyhow.The Sweetleaf Stevia Plus has Frutafit Inulin Fiber (FOS) which nourishes the friendly bacteria in the intestines and improves regularity, cleanses the colon, supports liver health, assists and strengthens the immune system and helps control the formation of free radicals. Sounds like a winner to me.

celiachap Apprentice

The containers that I have, of Tropicana Pure Premium, say:

“Not from concentrate

Calcium

+ Vitamin D

100% Pure Orange Juice

Ingredients: 100% Pure Squeezed Pasteurized Orange Juice, Fritical (Calcium Hydroxide, Malic Acid and Citric Acid)* and Vitamin D3

*Ingredient not found in regular orange juice.

Contains Orange Juice from the U.S. and Brazil”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the expiration date, there is a series of numbers and letters beginning with 48 - which I assume is the plant information that they mentioned.

terri Contributor

Yours are the safe ones. The ones I was buying didn't say Pure Premium, just Tropicana 100% orange juice from concentrate.

I called Splenda and they said their product is gluten free.

Emme999 Enthusiast

Ya, that's weird. I'd never heard of Splenda containing gluten! Hmm... I imagine it is on the list because it "can't be verified" (?) Who knows!

This site does say that it "errs on the side of caution" for those who are ultra-sensitive to gluten. I like that. I don't have such easily discernable symptoms when I get glutened - so I would like to be ultra-safe :)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, Splenda is gluten free...I don't eat it but it's good info to have anyway

VydorScope Proficient

I use slpenda all the time, and yes its gluten-free.

I just bought some minute maid... I hope its almost as good at least. :(

Archived