This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Digest Gold? Maltase From What Source?

IrishHeart

IrishHeart Veteran

Just read a post on here saying Digest Gold Enzymes may not be gluten free after all. :blink: Just great! I have been using them for over a month. Not feeling fantastic yet, but figured I was just slowly coming along...I kept saying to hubby, "Why do I still feel so much like a Histamine reaction is going on??" (beet red, itchy, "hyper", sore throat, burny etc.. etc...)

Now, I wonder. The product says no wheat, no gluten,,,etc...and other people on here use them. (that's where I got the idea!!) I read all the website info, consumer reviews, etc.... felt okay with it.

Maltase, I know CAN come from barley...but would a company say it is gluten free when it isn't?? ...oh what am I saying?? I have seen it a few times (rice dream, for example)...so, does anyone else Know this stuff contains a barley-based enzyme?

I believe the person who wrote the response to the post...I am not questioning his answer at all!! I just want to hear if anyone else felt glutened while using it??

What a bummer...not only is it expensive, but maybe I have inadvertently been glutening myself all along....??

:(

I will discontinue, of course. As for hubby, he told me to stop using it before this because he was suspicious,,,,now he can say "I told ya so!!" LOL LOL (But not really funny--if it is really gluten-based)

Anyone else have a reaction to it?? Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Looking for answers Contributor

I wondered about that too. I called them and they said it was not derived from barley. I stopped taking them as well, but for other reasons.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Here is a link to food sources that contain digestive enzymes naturally. IMHO much better than a pill.

Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart Veteran

Here is a link to food sources that contain digestive enzymes naturally. IMHO much better than a pill.

Open Original Shared Link

I TOTALLY agree!!....I only took the damn things because I have a burning tongue/mouth and pineapple (citrus/toms too) HURTS. Otherwise, I would be eating a lot of it (I love it!!) peppermint and ginger? OUCH!!!!!!!

Honey and the foods high in salicylates bother me, too (I get a closed, scratchy burny throat) sooooooooo...

that's the only reason I resorted to them in the first place....sigh

IrishHeart Veteran

I wondered about that too. I called them and they said it was not derived from barley. I stopped taking them as well, but for other reasons.

thanks..I was going to call them tomorrow; you saved me a call.. :D I'm going to do without anyway and see if I feel better..

cassP Contributor

I TOTALLY agree!!....I only took the damn things because I have a burning tongue/mouth and pineapple (citrus/toms too) HURTS. Otherwise, I would be eating a lot of it (I love it!!) peppermint and ginger? OUCH!!!!!!!

Honey and the foods high in salicylates bother me, too (I get a closed, scratchy burny throat) sooooooooo...

that's the only reason I resorted to them in the first place....sigh

instead of eating pineapple or drinking pineapple juice- you could just take Bromelain (the digestive enzyme from pineapple) or Papaya Enzyme tablets.

also- you could experiment later with drinking PURE pineapple juice with NO Ascorbic Acid added... sometimes that acid is what irritates everyone.

i cant answer about the maltase- but as i have many many problems with maltodextrin, and all kinds of corn and starch byproducts-> i wouldnt be surprised if some of our bodies get confused and think that some of these things are actually gluten. that happens to people- you know- one could get sick- and that virus can "look" like another cell in your body- and then your body starts attacking itself... i think i read somewhere that Candida looks slightly like gliadin- and that the body could get confused and start reacting like it had gluten. just my philosophy- with trying to explain my reactions to other starches

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

So sorry that happened Irish! You did not need that too! :blink:

I hope you feel better soon. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

instead of eating pineapple or drinking pineapple juice- you could just take Bromelain (the digestive enzyme from pineapple) or Papaya Enzyme tablets.also- you could experiment later with drinking PURE pineapple juice with NO Ascorbic Acid added... sometimes that acid is what irritates everyone.i cant answer about the maltase- but as i have many many problems with maltodextrin, and all kinds of corn and starch byproducts-> i wouldnt be surprised if some of our bodies get confused and think that some of these things are actually gluten. that happens to people- you know- one could get sick- and that virus can "look" like another cell in your body- and then your body starts attacking itself... i think i read somewhere that Candida looks slightly like gliadin- and that the body could get confused and start reacting like it had gluten. just my philosophy- with trying to explain my reactions to other starches

So sorry that happened Irish! You did not need that too! :blink: I hope you feel better soon. :)

Thanks, guys! :D

I think I'm gonna fly without them and see how it goes!

You know, a DOCTOR recommended these to me last year.... :blink:

of course, he was also the guy who said at one point that (1) I could eliminate all my stomach and muscle pain by volunteering (I could hardly walk) and the (2) gluten was not a problem and (3) my hair loss just made it easier for me to get ready in the morning.... :angry::blink: .IDIOT!!! (I cleaned that up as I had typed another word) :D

he is, of course, no longer my doctor......again, just another chapter for my book...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You know, a DOCTOR recommended these to me last year.... :blink:

of course, he was also the guy who said at one point that (1) I could eliminate all my stomach and muscle pain by volunteering (I could hardly walk) and the (2) gluten was not a problem and (3) my hair loss just made it easier for me to get ready in the morning.... :angry::blink: .IDIOT!!! (I cleaned that up as I had typed another word) :D

he is, of course, no longer my doctor......again, just another chapter for my book...

It would have been very hard for me not to slap that doctor. Seriously. Especially the crack about the hair loss. What a jerk!!!!!

Gemini Experienced

Just read a post on here saying Digest Gold Enzymes may not be gluten free after all. :blink: Just great! I have been using them for over a month. Not feeling fantastic yet, but figured I was just slowly coming along...I kept saying to hubby, "Why do I still feel so much like a Histamine reaction is going on??" (beet red, itchy, "hyper", sore throat, burny etc.. etc...)

Now, I wonder. The product says no wheat, no gluten,,,etc...and other people on here use them. (that's where I got the idea!!) I read all the website info, consumer reviews, etc.... felt okay with it.

Maltase, I know CAN come from barley...but would a company say it is gluten free when it isn't?? ...oh what am I saying?? I have seen it a few times (rice dream, for example)...so, does anyone else Know this stuff contains a barley-based enzyme?

I believe the person who wrote the response to the post...I am not questioning his answer at all!! I just want to hear if anyone else felt glutened while using it??

What a bummer...not only is it expensive, but maybe I have inadvertently been glutening myself all along....??

I will discontinue, of course. As for hubby, he told me to stop using it before this because he was suspicious,,,,now he can say "I told ya so!!" LOL LOL (But not really funny--if it is really gluten-based)

Digest Gold are one the best enzymes out there and they are 100% gluten-free. I hate to see everyone jump on the bandwagon and trash these because they do not contain any gluten. Not feeling well can come from many other reasons so don't always assume it's from ingesting gluten.

I am an extremely sensitive Celiac who will get ill from a few crumbs...I do not generally ever eat products from shared lines because I will become ill. I not only tolerate these well but they have helped me feel even better, when taken with meals. If you have mild pancreatic insufficiency then eating pineapple and other enzyme heavy foods will help but not for those with more severe problems. I cannot digest fats well or proteins but with Digest Gold, my stomach is a happy camper again. No reputable company would tell you their product is gluten-free if it is not.

The other issue is if you feel it's a histamine reaction, that would not be from Celiac but from an allergy. Perhaps you are allergic to one of the ingredients? That would probably be far more likely.

IrishHeart Veteran

Digest Gold are one the best enzymes out there and they are 100% gluten-free. I hate to see everyone jump on the bandwagon and trash these because they do not contain any gluten. Not feeling well can come from many other reasons so don't always assume it's from ingesting gluten.

I am an extremely sensitive Celiac who will get ill from a few crumbs...I do not generally ever eat products from shared lines because I will become ill. I not only tolerate these well but they have helped me feel even better, when taken with meals. If you have mild pancreatic insufficiency then eating pineapple and other enzyme heavy foods will help but not for those with more severe problems. I cannot digest fats well or proteins but with Digest Gold, my stomach is a happy camper again. No reputable company would tell you their product is gluten-free if it is not.

The other issue is if you feel it's a histamine reaction, that would not be from Celiac but from an allergy. Perhaps you are allergic to one of the ingredients? That would probably be far more likely.

gemini,

Thanks for your thoughts!

That's what I said to my husband--why on earth would they risk such a lawsuit and claim to be gluten-free like that if they were not?

Your point is well-taken because I HONESTLY felt that I was DIGESTING better using them. I even recommended them to another person. Not to be gross, but my stool was better, no diarrhea, less stomach upset, and there were no undigested food particles in them anymore.

Perhaps I am indeed allergic to something IN the product, but I cannot for the life of me figure out WHAT it is as they contain nothing but plant enzymes and a vegetable capsule.

In any case, I am not using them for a while to see if I feel better.

I fear I am one of those people who will take a long time to heal and a long time to figure out what else besides gluten, soy may be causing me to feel this way. Despite having IgG testing done, I am still sorting it out.

IrishHeart Veteran

It would have been very hard for me not to slap that doctor. Seriously. Especially the crack about the hair loss. What a jerk!!!!!

I was too sick and stunned by his insensitivity to respond at the time. I will address it when I am better, you can be sure of that! ;)

Gemini Experienced

gemini,

Thanks for your thoughts!

That's what I said to my husband--why on earth would they risk such a lawsuit and claim to be gluten-free like that if they were not?

Your point is well-taken because I HONESTLY felt that I was DIGESTING better using them. I even recommended them to another person. Not to be gross, but my stool was better, no diarrhea, less stomach upset, and there were no undigested food particles in them anymore.

Perhaps I am indeed allergic to something IN the product, but I cannot for the life of me figure out WHAT it is as they contain nothing but plant enzymes and a vegetable capsule.

In any case, I am not using them for a while to see if I feel better.

I fear I am one of those people who will take a long time to heal and a long time to figure out what else besides gluten, soy may be causing me to feel this way. Despite having IgG testing done, I am still sorting it out.

Celiacs have sensitive stomachs to begin with so many will experience problems after eating something that is 100% gluten-free. Even after healing, some foods or supplements will cause a problem. I reacted very badly to the gums used in dental impression material, which is 100% gluten-free. I did a week of research, calling manufacturing reps, etc. to track down the cause of my severe distress and came to the conclusion that guar and xanthan gums are harder to digest, for some. I can eat a small amount in baked goods and have no problems but when I went to the dentist to have an impression made for a cap, they did multiple impressions and I swallowed, of course, while the stuff was in my mouth for a couple of minutes so I got a good hit of it. The impression material is made up of both of these gums.

One of the ladies who works at the office is married to a Celiac and the same thing happened to her husband. Her opinion is that Celiacs just have sensitive GI tracts and sometimes, reactions occur which are not related to gluten at all. Sometimes you never figure it out but if something hurts, don't do it again! :P

Be patient because weird things like this will happen. Just omit it from your diet and try something else or wait and re-introduce the product at a later date. If it happens again, that product is not for you. Good luck!

IrishHeart Veteran

Celiacs have sensitive stomachs to begin with so many will experience problems after eating something that is 100% gluten-free. Even after healing, some foods or supplements will cause a problem. I reacted very badly to the gums used in dental impression material, which is 100% gluten-free. I did a week of research, calling manufacturing reps, etc. to track down the cause of my severe distress and came to the conclusion that guar and xanthan gums are harder to digest, for some. I can eat a small amount in baked goods and have no problems but when I went to the dentist to have an impression made for a cap, they did multiple impressions and I swallowed, of course, while the stuff was in my mouth for a couple of minutes so I got a good hit of it. The impression material is made up of both of these gums.

One of the ladies who works at the office is married to a Celiac and the same thing happened to her husband. Her opinion is that Celiacs just have sensitive GI tracts and sometimes, reactions occur which are not related to gluten at all. Sometimes you never figure it out but if something hurts, don't do it again! :P

Be patient because weird things like this will happen. Just omit it from your diet and try something else or wait and re-introduce the product at a later date. If it happens again, that product is not for you. Good luck!

You are NOT going to believe this but...then, again, maybe you will!! :D:blink:

Okay, file this under "just plain strange!" :o :o :o I JUST returned from the dentist's office, :unsure: and I am reading your reply and shouted to my husband to come hear what you have written here!!

I just had DENTAL IMPRESSIONS made for a TMJ appliance this morning (I have wicked jaw/facial pain) and as we were driving home, I felt spaced out and started to fall asleep as if I had been drugged!! Good thing he was driving, it happened that quickly. I could not speak well; I felt like a drunk! This is how I used to feel before going gluten-free!

OMG! I had dental impressions done a few weeks ago for

something else, too--and felt lousy for a few days. Maybe THIS is what is going on!!

I am chuckling because I cannot believe you posted this and here I am having this exact reaction. Crazy!!

Thanks a million for telling me this! Mystery solved!!

I know I need to be patient. It's so hard sometimes because I have been ill for so long and just want it to stop. Or at least, let up!! <_< I'll hang in there!

Gemini Experienced

You are NOT going to believe this but...then, again, maybe you will!! :D:blink:

Okay, file this under "just plain strange!" :o :o :o I JUST returned from the dentist's office, :unsure: and I am reading your reply and shouted to my husband to come hear what you have written here!!

I just had DENTAL IMPRESSIONS made for a TMJ appliance this morning (I have wicked jaw/facial pain) and as we were driving home, I felt spaced out and started to fall asleep as if I had been drugged!! Good thing he was driving, it happened that quickly. I could not speak well; I felt like a drunk! This is how I used to feel before going gluten-free!

OMG! I had dental impressions done a few weeks ago for

something else, too--and felt lousy for a few days. Maybe THIS is what is going on!!

I am chuckling because I cannot believe you posted this and here I am having this exact reaction. Crazy!!

Thanks a million for telling me this! Mystery solved!!

I know I need to be patient. It's so hard sometimes because I have been ill for so long and just want it to stop. Or at least, let up!! <_< I'll hang in there!

I think that is called synchronicity (sp?)! Another mystery solved! :lol:

I had a typical gluten type reaction within 15 minutes of leaving the office. My stomach distended and blew up and I had severe abdominal pain, only I had to drive 40 miles home. It wasn't pretty! I just don't digest gums well, if I have a larger hit. I really researched it and the product is gluten-free. I have learned that sometimes it happens and it's a lesson learned. I know it's sometimes hard to figure out what is going on but just remember to treat the tummy gently because it's a bit compromised. Thank goodness it doesn't happen often.

Good luck with the TMJ.....I am undergoing dental implants...loads of fun! :huh::huh:

IrishHeart Veteran

I think that is called synchronicity (sp?)! Another mystery solved! :lol:

I had a typical gluten type reaction within 15 minutes of leaving the office. My stomach distended and blew up and I had severe abdominal pain, only I had to drive 40 miles home. It wasn't pretty! I just don't digest gums well, if I have a larger hit. I really researched it and the product is gluten-free. I have learned that sometimes it happens and it's a lesson learned. I know it's sometimes hard to figure out what is going on but just remember to treat the tummy gently because it's a bit compromised. Thank goodness it doesn't happen often.

Good luck with the TMJ.....I am undergoing dental implants...loads of fun! :huh::huh:

LOL..maybe, or "divine intervention" of some type LOL --are you a psychic? :lol: If so, hubby wants to know if you know the lottery numbers. :D

In any case, I am soooo glad you told me this story!

It takes the "scariness" out of it. It is a very disturbing and uncomfortable reaction.

I may have to have those implants myself...bummer. My teeth took a huge dive in the last 4 years. They were perfectly white and I had a nice smile. Sure-- I had some fillings, but, within a short time, they turned yellow (UCK) and one cracked and broke and had to be removed, a front one chipped (I was crushed!) and the bottom front two look as if someone has taken a grinder to them. I know it's me clenching my teeth together from the stress...as I have been trying to figure out what was making me so ill and in excruciating pain for over 4 years....sooo, now, I have serious neck, face, head pain, and a year or so of dental work ahead of me. This disease process is so complicated and has affected so many things in me. sigh...

Thanks for your thoughts and for reassuring me. I truly appreciate it!! Good luck with your dental work. I hope it goes as smoothly and painlessly as possible.

I will tell the dentist what you told me, although I guess there is no alternative to the impression substance they have to use? ah, well.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I will tell the dentist what you told me, although I guess there is no alternative to the impression substance they have to use? ah, well.

Do make sure to tell your dentist that you are celiac and ask them to check everything they use for you. While most of what they use is gluten free not everything is. Best to have them check to be certain.

IrishHeart Veteran

Do make sure to tell your dentist that you are celiac and ask them to check everything they use for you. While most of what they use is gluten free not everything is. Best to have them check to be certain.

Thanks, Raven...I did inform him. He even went to the trouble of reading about it to discuss it with me! I will remind him each time I go.

Gemini Experienced

LOL..maybe, or "divine intervention" of some type LOL --are you a psychic? :lol: If so, hubby wants to know if you know the lottery numbers. :D

In any case, I am soooo glad you told me this story!

It takes the "scariness" out of it. It is a very disturbing and uncomfortable reaction.

I may have to have those implants myself...bummer. My teeth took a huge dive in the last 4 years. They were perfectly white and I had a nice smile. Sure-- I had some fillings, but, within a short time, they turned yellow (UCK) and one cracked and broke and had to be removed, a front one chipped (I was crushed!) and the bottom front two look as if someone has taken a grinder to them. I know it's me clenching my teeth together from the stress...as I have been trying to figure out what was making me so ill and in excruciating pain for over 4 years....sooo, now, I have serious neck, face, head pain, and a year or so of dental work ahead of me. This disease process is so complicated and has affected so many things in me. sigh...

Thanks for your thoughts and for reassuring me. I truly appreciate it!! Good luck with your dental work. I hope it goes as smoothly and painlessly as possible.

Dental implants are not that bad to have done but the whole process takes about a year and half to complete.

I had to have bone grafting done also as I had bone loss in my jaw bone from Celiac. It sounds gross but it's not that bad....really. You are numb up to the gills. If you need bone grafting, then you have to wait 6 months for it to take and then the post can be installed. Then you have to wait 6 months or so for that to graft to the bone before the tooth can be made. In one way it's good because you can shell out payment for them over time, when they do the work. I am lucky that I have some insurance to defray the cost.

I am having the 2 very back molars done and cannot wait for them to be done.

I have had some very psychic moments in my life when I have envisioned things and then they have happened. I call it women's intuition and always listen to that inner voice. However, it never seems to work with the lottery...I have tried! :lol:

By the way, when my two front lower teeth came in as adult teeth, there was no enamel on them. They were always yellow and my parents did not have the money to get them capped. I did so later in life but that was clue number one that there was a problem. I have classic Celiac teeth....some ridging in the tooth enamel on some and over time, they have just almost disintegrated. Those are the 2 I am having replaced. Dentists could actually be the first line of defense in diagnosing Celiac in patients from their tooth issues. My teeth are my Archilles Heel and cost me the most as far as maintenance. You need the teeth!

EdwardL Newbie

My wife uses Digest Spectrum which includes specific enzymes for gluten, casein, lactose, and phenol. Advertised to be able to digest a whole meal, but we only use it when we eat out as an added precaution in case there is contamination. She is also lactose and casein sensitive. Also use it sometimes just to detox the system. Our experience has been positive. It is pricey, but for us it is worth it.

IrishHeart Veteran

My wife uses Digest Spectrum which includes specific enzymes for gluten, casein, lactose, and phenol. Advertised to be able to digest a whole meal, but we only use it when we eat out as an added precaution in case there is contamination. She is also lactose and casein sensitive. Also use it sometimes just to detox the system. Our experience has been positive. It is pricey, but for us it is worth it.

This sounds like an interesting product!

I will check it out. Thanks.

Right now, I am under the impression it is NOT the product causing me a problem at all, rather some other food intolerance.I am playing detective! :)

• 1 month later...
Chad Sines Rising Star

Sorry to resurrect an older topic, but I just started these yesterday. I did notice a little more heartburn and some mild nausea, but I am easily convinced that a damaged/inflamed gut is going to be tender for a while anyway. Having no GB and issues with milk, it seems like these things may be a good permanent inclusion.

• 2 weeks later...
Syl Rookie

Just to add to this for anyone looking to start Digest Gold. I have tried their regular Digest three times daily recently and found it helped a bit without any negative reactions and I am soon going to try the Digest Gold to see if a higher, stronger dose will help. I too was tripped up by the Maltase and sent an email this week to see if they could inform me as to what was in it. Here is the email I received:

Hello,

Thank you for inquiring about Enzymedica's products. The Maltase is also

coming from the fungal source aspergillus niger or orzaye. Our products are

produced in a gluten free facility and there is no cross contamination. If I

can be of further assistance please let me know.

Sincerely,

Tammy Darby

Technical Advisor to Customer Care

Enzymedica.com

tammy@enzymedica.com

So as you can see it seems the maltase is derived from the mold species (comforting, huh?) and not Barley. The best thing you can do is just give it a short trial and see how it works for you - we are all so very different after all and tend to react to multiple things. Fun, isn't it? :D

Archived