This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Anesthesia

suziq0805

suziq0805 Enthusiast

My son has an appointment with an ear/nose/throat doctor next week due to several ear infections over the last few months. Since he's had 7 ear infections since August I am guessing we will be discussing getting tubes put in. Does a child with celiac need an special precautions when going under anesthesia or getting tubes in?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RyanP Newbie

My son has an appointment with an ear/nose/throat doctor next week due to several ear infections over the last few months. Since he's had 7 ear infections since August I am guessing we will be discussing getting tubes put in. Does a child with celiac need an special precautions when going under anesthesia or getting tubes in?

I'm not 100% sure for kids, but I for adults there don't seem to be any special precautions that need to be taken with anesthesia. I've had two rounds of it since being diagnosed, and neither one was an issue. I would definitely make sure the ENT doc is aware of your son's celiac disease though. It seems to be fairly typical for nurses in the recovery room to offer you a snack, so you also might want to pack a couple of gluten-free cookies or some crackers for him when he wakes up.

Good luck!

Ryan

cassP Contributor

apart from making sure everything they give him is gluten free... i dont THINK there's anything different with anesthesia... ????

i had tubes put in my ears as a toddler AND a tonsilectomy.. i dont think they had to do anything different?? ive only been under "twilight" as an adult, and they didnt have to do anything out of the ordinary.

i wonder if your son is Iga deficient like me? it's common in those with celiac.

good luck with it all :)

kareng Grand Master

Ask about the anesthesia but its usually not something you eat. I had it once and first they gave me a pill to relax me but I doubt they would do that with kids.

Start writing down your questions for the doc, now. That way you can remember to ask them.

You might bring someone with you to take the kiddo out so you aren't distracted. Or leave them to ask your questions - when my dad is the one who has a medical issue, my mom makes me go with him to ask the questions because she gets upset and doesn't pay attention.

frieze Community Regular

How long has he been gluten free, and is he totally gluten free???

jerseyangel Proficient

Of course, discuss this with his doctor. I have had general anesthesia twice since diagnosed. Injectables are not a worry--just meds taken by mouth need to be checked for gluten. Especially ask about any pain meds beforehand.

Have a gluten-free snack like crackers with you in case they want to offer him a snack when he wakes up.

cassP Contributor

Of course, discuss this with his doctor. I have had general anesthesia twice since diagnosed. Injectables are not a worry--just meds taken by mouth need to be checked for gluten. Especially ask about any pain meds beforehand.

Have a gluten-free snack like crackers with you in case they want to offer him a snack when he wakes up.

im confused- you and another poster above reiterated that only meds given by mouth need to be gluten free. ive read this before on this forum-

but why- does it not matter at all if they inject something with gluten into your bloodstream- when members post on here almost everyday about using body lotions & soap with NO gluten??? this doesnt make sense to me?

i understand the whole autoimmune reaction happening in the gut.. but if people are even worried about topical products containing gluten, i for sure dont want anything injected into my bloodstream- doesnt gluten also affect other parts of our body besides our gut- doesnt it cross over the blood/brain barrier for some? and then there's other organs affected too like the thyroid..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

but why- does it not matter at all if they inject something with gluten into your bloodstream- when members post on here almost everyday about using body lotions & soap with NO gluten??? this doesnt make sense to me?

they don't inject gluten. injecting a non-blood-based protein into a person's bloodstream would be harmful to anyone.

shopgirl Contributor

im confused- you and another poster above reiterated that only meds given by mouth need to be gluten free. ive read this before on this forum-

Because we don't use gluten-free body lotions and soap out of fear of accidentally ingesting them. Soap, shampoo, lotion, makeup

jerseyangel Proficient

im confused- you and another poster above reiterated that only meds given by mouth need to be gluten free.

they don't inject gluten. injecting a non-blood-based protein into a person's bloodstream would be harmful to anyone.

This.

It's not a worry because injectables don't contain gluten.

cassP Contributor

thanks for explaining... but im still a little confused because of all the different opinions and advice people have. i even spoke with a lady at whole foods the other day who said i had to be strict on the lotions because our skin absorbs quite a bit (and dont we put hormone patches, and nicotine patches on our skin- and they get absorbed?)

and its not crazy that im wondering what they inject- after all- dont they fill up our iv bags with corn sugar? (dextrose)?

dont some vaccines containe Lactose too?

and so, lets say that a lotion with gluten does NOT get absorbed into the body- what about if you have DH?

Jestgar Rising Star

dextrose and lactose are not proteins.

The question about topical gluten is a hot one. I think technically (as far as we understand the science of skin) gluten can't be absorbed into the skin. HOWEVER so many people report issues with topical gluten that it can't be dismissed.

Bottom line - if you react to it, don't use it. There's no better explanation or statement currently available.

cassP Contributor

dextrose and lactose are not proteins.

The question about topical gluten is a hot one. I think technically (as far as we understand the science of skin) gluten can't be absorbed into the skin. HOWEVER so many people report issues with topical gluten that it can't be dismissed.

Bottom line - if you react to it, don't use it. There's no better explanation or statement currently available.

i know that dextrose and lactose are not proteins.. i know they are sugars. my point was that i dont think it was a crazy question about wondering if they put gluten in injectables- because corn and dairy byproducts hurt some of us- and they put those in injectables. im not a medical professional and dont know anything about whether or not a "protein" can be injected.

Jestgar Rising Star

i know that dextrose and lactose are not proteins.. i know they are sugars. my point was that i dont think it was a crazy question about wondering if they put gluten in injectables- because corn and dairy byproducts hurt some of us- and they put those in injectables. im not a medical professional and dont know anything about whether or not a "protein" can be injected.

I didn't mean for that to sound snippy. I was studying for finals and not very wordy. :)

There's no reason why you should ever think about what drs inject into you (well, okay, there are lots of reasons, but anyway). Most questions of that type (gluten in an injection) only come up on places like this forum, and only when it's suddenly relevant to someone. It's good that you asked about it so the info is there for someone else looking for the same answer.

Please, always always ask if something is unclear, even if you think it sounds silly. Someone else will surely thank you for it, even if you never it hear the thanks in person.

cassP Contributor

I didn't mean for that to sound snippy. I was studying for finals and not very wordy. :)

There's no reason why you should ever think about what drs inject into you (well, okay, there are lots of reasons, but anyway). Most questions of that type (gluten in an injection) only come up on places like this forum, and only when it's suddenly relevant to someone. It's good that you asked about it so the info is there for someone else looking for the same answer.

Please, always always ask if something is unclear, even if you think it sounds silly. Someone else will surely thank you for it, even if you never it hear the thanks in person.

thanku :) i sometimes take things very personally- ive been going back to my paranoid/sensitive thoughts lately- and i KNOW it's in part because my doc switched me to Armour at a LOWER dose :(

Archived