40 replies to this topic

#16 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

Sounds good! Do you think you can get the recipe to post? I love those simple recipes. They are healthy and naturally gltuen free usuualy too.

I'm sure I do...will have to dig it out and post it later. A lot of meals I cook are naturally gluten-free...probably the way a lot of people cooked before all the crappy processed foods came out.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

Chicken and rice is one of my go to meals.
chicken breast cut into cubes
rice, I like jasmine
chicken stock
salt, pepper
garlic and onion powder
frozen peas and carrots
Cook the chicken till almost done in a little oil, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Add chicken stock, I use whatever amount of liquid the rice calls for. Add rice and peas and carrots, cover till rice is done. Sometimes I will add a pat of butter and stir that in.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#18 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

I forgot about red beans and rice.
Red beans- season with garlic, salt, pepper maybe a little cayenne pepper.
Rice cooked separately
Your favorite smoked sausage browned- either mix it with the beans or have it on the side.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#19 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned risotto yet! There are so many combinations it's not even funny, from wild mushroom with pesto to Milanese to fresh herb and toasted pine nuts and on and on... I really like rice but ADORE risotto (only with carnaroli or arborio, though, because of the starch content). It is an awesome side or main.

As far as plain rice goes, my favourite is jasmine. When I cook rice I like to add aromatics to the water including bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, fresh lemon juice, curry leaves, and so on. Makes a huge difference to your plain old everyday rice! :)

Lamb tagines with rice are also lovely. Another favourite of mine is paella with all the crunchy bits on the bottom! :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#20 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

Beefy Rice

Saute onions in oil until soft
Add 1 part rice and 2 parts beef broth. (I use Emeril's. It is gluten-free and really good)
stick in a bay leaf.
Simmer until rice is done.
Amounts depend on how much you want.

This is good with beef dishes (think steak or hamburger steak)

#21 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Saffron Rice: http://allrecipes.co...ice/Detail.aspx
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#22 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

Risotto!!

The easy way--based on one of David's recipes--saute a minced onion in some olive oil until transparent. Add a cup of uncooked white rice, either Arborio or Basmenti and stir till coated.

If desired, at this point you can add a package of frozen chopped spinach that has been microwaved for 5 minutes and drained well.

Add a carton of Pacific Chicken Broth, bring to a boil, cover, and put in a preheated 350 oven for about 30 minutes (40-45 for Arborio).

Stir in a half cup of sharp grated cheese (I use Locatelli Romano) and serve.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#23 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

Layer Casserole

This is pretty basic plain food that I grew up eating and am sure you can jazz it up to suit your tastes. My mother made this for years so it's a really old recipe. I don't think I've made it in the last 25 years so now I am wanting to make it again, too. Season each layer with salt and pepper to taste. After I pulled the recipe out, I see it's 6 layers, not 7 but I'm sure an extra layer of veggies could easily be added, too. I think for the amounts shown I used a deeper 2-1/2 qt. CorningWare casserole. This is a recipe that seems to grow depending on the size casserole you start with (something like my soups...lol). So you could easily make a larger casserole by increasing the amount of ingredients.

Grease casserole. Add layers in the following order starting at the bottom:

Sliced carrots
1 c. rice (she used Uncle Ben's Converted Rice)
1 lb. ground beef, raw, not cooked (very lean)
Sliced onions
1-inch layer of peeled and sliced potatoes
1 qt. tomato juice (or enough to cover veggies)

Bake at 350° for an hour and a half or until done.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#24 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:08 AM

Egg and Rice

#25 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

Avgolemono or Greek Chicken Lemon Rice Soup is yummy and sooooooo simple to make.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#26 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:09 AM

Salmon and Rice Paper Wraps: Gluten and Dairy Free

1 cup cooked rice
1 7 oz. can salmon broken up but not flaked
1 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together and add any other vegetables you can tolerate - green onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, baby spinach chopped, peas, shredded carrot

Soften rice paper wrappers one at a time for a few seconds on a plate with warm water and place on a dry kitchen towel. Add 2 tbsp of filling to the bottom portion of the softened wrapper and roll once. Tuck in each side and continue rolling like an egg roll.

Ginger Sesame Dipping sauce:

1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2-3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. grated ginger or 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 - 1 tsp. sesame oil

Place sauce ingredients in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Can be served warm or cooled.

You can eat the wraps immediately or prepare them in advance and cover tightly with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out.

You can crisp up the skins by frying them about 3 minutes on each side in a frying pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#27 Noomers

Noomers

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

Breakfast fried rice:

Scramble one egg in pan with some oil
Add cooked rice, canned black beans (with a bit of the bean juice), salt, and pepper to the pan. Heat and enjoy!

I also knew someone that did this with rice, egg, bananas, and maple syrup. It didn't work out for me too well though.

#28 Teri Lou

Teri Lou

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:26 AM

I'm from Minnesota so we have to have Wild Rice Soup! Here's my favorite recipe although I usually add celery and shredded carrots, and occassionaly cheese to it.

http://allrecipes.co...oup/Detail.aspx

#29 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

I make brown rice, add 1/2 avocado (chopped), 1/2 sheet of seaweed (torn into small pieces), and gluten-free soy sauce - it's an avocado roll in a bowl! Yummy!

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

#30 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

I tried rice pudding with almond milk... THAT didn't work... maybe its the cook..

15. Curried Rice(with lamb)
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: