40 replies to this topic

#31 sb2178

sb2178

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

I've made brown rice pudding with half soy milk, half coconut milk (from a can, not the weird stuff in a carton).

I grew up on Rice Burgers! Haven't made them recently, but they're good and I can dig up a recipe if anyone wants one.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

This stuff is yummy!

http://allrecipes.co...izo/Detail.aspx

So is this:

http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

#33 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

Rice milk? I haven't tried it yet, but have been making cashew and almond milk.

#34 sacredlife323

sacredlife323

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

our favorite rice dish that is quick easy simple:
cook 1 lb ground beef or turkey
add 1 cup rice
and 1 can of peas
i season with season salt, garlic salt and pepper
cook bout 10-15 min on med.
shred some cheeze and put on top till melted

best stuff ever i call it my gluten free hamburger helper!
ive used chicken in this recipe too which comes okay my boyfriend loved it but i didnt think the flavor went too well together but im sure with a little alternations it can become delicious

#35 majones

majones

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

I've made brown rice pudding with half soy milk, half coconut milk (from a can, not the weird stuff in a carton).

I grew up on Rice Burgers! Haven't made them recently, but they're good and I can dig up a recipe if anyone wants one.

Yes please! (= I don't like "normal" burgers anyway.

#36 mtcross

mtcross

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

I make a lot of stir fries... and use brown rice, but I found that if you mix half brown rice and half quinoa it gives it a better flavor and is lighter and fluffier than straight brown rice.
"Look at me, look at me, it's fun to have fun, but you have to know how"

#37 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yes please! (= I don't like "normal" burgers anyway.

Basic Brown Rice Burgers

2 cups brown rice (cooked)
1/4 c peanut butter
1 egg
1 T mustard and/or soy sauce
1 T ketchup (could use tomato paste, probably)
1/2 c sunflower seeds
2-4 T flour or starch

Mix together (except the flour). Gradually add 1 spoonful of flour at a time until the texture is sufficiently firm to form patties. The amount will vary depending on your rice's moisture content etc. Shape into patties and bake at 350 F (or cook on a non-stick griddle until lightly browned) for 15 to 20 minutes per side.

I've sub'ed in finely chopped cooked vegetables for a portion of the rice upon occasion; it tends to make them a little more inclined to crumble but they're still good. A pinch of chili powder can also be nice, or a mix of dried herbs.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#38 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

Basic Brown Rice Burgers

2 cups brown rice (cooked)
1/4 c peanut butter
1 egg
1 T mustard and/or soy sauce
1 T ketchup (could use tomato paste, probably)
1/2 c sunflower seeds
2-4 T flour or starch

Mix together (except the flour). Gradually add 1 spoonful of flour at a time until the texture is sufficiently firm to form patties. The amount will vary depending on your rice's moisture content etc. Shape into patties and bake at 350 F (or cook on a non-stick griddle until lightly browned) for 15 to 20 minutes per side.

I've sub'ed in finely chopped cooked vegetables for a portion of the rice upon occasion; it tends to make them a little more inclined to crumble but they're still good. A pinch of chili powder can also be nice, or a mix of dried herbs.

These sound good! I have made black bean burgers almost the same way, I never would have thought to make rice burgers.

------------------------------
Thanks everyone for the recipes and meal ideas. I especially love how most of these are "normal" meals that don't require anything special to make them gluten free. That's pretty much my cooking style. Pasta and bread used to be my cheap meal staples. Instead of replacign those with all gluten free stuff which is expensive I just changed to meals with rice and potatoes instead. I think I will make a thread like this for potatoes too.

Keep adding ideas :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#39 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Coconut milk rice pudding. The only rice pudding my kids will eat!

15 oz can coconut milk
1 cup of water
1/3 cup uncooked rice (short grain works best)
1/4 cup of sugar (or more or less to taste)
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Combine coconut milk, water and rice in saucepan

Bring to a boi

Stir

Cover and simmer on low heat for 45-55 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir occasionally.

Remove from heat and stir in sugar, vanilla and nutmeg.

I can't eat raw coconut but coconut milk seems to be fine, must be really, really processed. :D

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#40 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

I cleaned out my cupboard the other day and used up some stuff that was about to expire. Had a can of Mexi corn, kidney beans, roasted tomatoes and chicken broth. I added rice that had been cooked briefly in some olive oil, some onion, cooked ground beef and some extra red peppers. Seasoned with a bit of salt and plenty of chili powder. Yum!

My dad used to make rice pudding. I don't like it but some people do.

#41 Blueyedtiger

Blueyedtiger

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

Beefy Rice

Saute onions in oil until soft
Add 1 part rice and 2 parts beef broth. (I use Emeril's. It is gluten-free and really good)
stick in a bay leaf.
Simmer until rice is done.
Amounts depend on how much you want.

This is good with beef dishes (think steak or hamburger steak)

I recently contacted B&G Foods (the manufacturer for Emeril's Stocks) and thought I'd give an update on threads mentioning them so we can have more recent information available:

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:27 AM, "CorporateConsumerAffairs@bgfoods.com" <CorporateConsumerAffairs@bgfoods.com> wrote:

Dear Consumer,

The Emeril's Organic Chicken stock does not contain gluten. 

However, Emeril's Organic Stocks are produced in facilities that contain wheat and gluten ingredients. While every precaution is taken to avoid cross contamination, we cannot guarantee that they do not contain trace amounts of these ingredients from other products that are manufactured within the same manufacturing facility.

Corporate Consumer Affairs 
B&G Foods, Inc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: