#1 bean

bean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:34 PM

Hey guys -

Through my bloods test I discovered what foods I'm allergic to. Because some of my reactions are delayed ("delayed onset hypersensitivity"), I would otherwise have no idea what food was causing what problems. But now that I know what I'm allergic to, I've discovered the wildest stuff! Maybe this isn't wild to you, but to me it was really a revelation.

When I first learned that I was severely allergic to dairy, eggs, sesame seeds I was in the middle of a really horrible case of bursitis (in my knee) and was in pain all of the time. I was in a spinning class at the University and had to drop it. After I cut out the foods that I'm allergic to - the knee pain went away. I didn't think too much about it though - just figured that the bursitis had gone away because I had dropped the class.

Then I found that I have celiac disease and developed a powerful love for the Mi-del Gingersnaps cookies. (oooh those are so good!) They are gluten & dairy free, but contain eggs. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal if I ate some, but after a while my wrist pain came back (that had gone away when I'd gone dairy/egg/sesame free). I broke my wrist in an accident that I was in about 14 years ago and I don't think it ever healed quite right. The pain would come and go but when it came back after I ate those cookies - I realized that it had been gone since I'd stopped eating all of the allergens.

But I wasn't quite sure of the wrist pain connection - so - I just kept it in the back of my mind. I stopped eating the cookies and the pain went away.

But a couple weeks ago I found this really yummy gluten-free teriyaki sauce and started using it on a regular basis. And the pain came back! Full force - and in a bad way. Then I noticed it has "sesame oil" in the ingredients list.

Now too many things were linking for me, and so I decided to test it. If I eat the yummy teriyaki sauce that I made (thanks to Tarnalberry's recipe) - my wrist doesn't hurt. If I eat the sesame teriyaki sauce, it goes nuts.

I just wanted to tell you guys about this and see if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I talked to my neuropsychologist about it (who has a great background in physiology & scleroderma to boot!). She said that it makes perfect sense - your body produces inflammation when you have allergies, so my wrist hurting is a normal allergic reaction.

I've been watching the boards and noticed that a lot of you who have a lot of pain (fibromyalgia for instance) also have a lot of food allergies. I hope that this might help you. Like I said - outside of the blood tests - I would have had no idea that allergies were leading to pain in strange places (my wrist!). Maybe that is what's aggravating your pain ?

Anyway - I am so sorry for all of you who have food allergies! It is rough! I see people who are allergic to (in ADDITION to mine) rice, soy, nuts, etc. and I don't know how you do it! My heart is with you.

For a really good site on food allergies, please look at: http://www.woodmed.com/FoodAllergy.htm

I love you guys!!

- Michelle :wub:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:57 PM

that is really interesting! When I was tested via blood tests for food allergies, nothing came up, are there better tests? Or maybe I'm allergic to something weird and it wouldn't have been tested for in the common tests.

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:15 PM

I just wanted to tell you guys about this and see if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I talked to my neuropsychologist about it (who has a great background in physiology & scleroderma to boot!). She said that it makes perfect sense - your body produces inflammation when you have allergies, so my wrist hurting is a normal allergic reaction.

lol! that's just what I was thinking as I read through your post. and I think some of us are more sensitive to the effects of inflammation in one part of the body and/or minor inflammation throughout the body.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: