Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Allergy Pains

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys -

Through my bloods test I discovered what foods I'm allergic to. Because some of my reactions are delayed ("delayed onset hypersensitivity"), I would otherwise have no idea what food was causing what problems. But now that I know what I'm allergic to, I've discovered the wildest stuff! Maybe this isn't wild to you, but to me it was really a revelation.

When I first learned that I was severely allergic to dairy, eggs, sesame seeds I was in the middle of a really horrible case of bursitis (in my knee) and was in pain all of the time. I was in a spinning class at the University and had to drop it. After I cut out the foods that I'm allergic to - the knee pain went away. I didn't think too much about it though - just figured that the bursitis had gone away because I had dropped the class.

Then I found that I have celiac disease and developed a powerful love for the Mi-del Gingersnaps cookies. (oooh those are so good!) They are gluten & dairy free, but contain eggs. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal if I ate some, but after a while my wrist pain came back (that had gone away when I'd gone dairy/egg/sesame free). I broke my wrist in an accident that I was in about 14 years ago and I don't think it ever healed quite right. The pain would come and go but when it came back after I ate those cookies - I realized that it had been gone since I'd stopped eating all of the allergens.

But I wasn't quite sure of the wrist pain connection - so - I just kept it in the back of my mind. I stopped eating the cookies and the pain went away.

But a couple weeks ago I found this really yummy gluten-free teriyaki sauce and started using it on a regular basis. And the pain came back! Full force - and in a bad way. Then I noticed it has "sesame oil" in the ingredients list.

Now too many things were linking for me, and so I decided to test it. If I eat the yummy teriyaki sauce that I made (thanks to Tarnalberry's recipe) - my wrist doesn't hurt. If I eat the sesame teriyaki sauce, it goes nuts.

I just wanted to tell you guys about this and see if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I talked to my neuropsychologist about it (who has a great background in physiology & scleroderma to boot!). She said that it makes perfect sense - your body produces inflammation when you have allergies, so my wrist hurting is a normal allergic reaction.

I've been watching the boards and noticed that a lot of you who have a lot of pain (fibromyalgia for instance) also have a lot of food allergies. I hope that this might help you. Like I said - outside of the blood tests - I would have had no idea that allergies were leading to pain in strange places (my wrist!). Maybe that is what's aggravating your pain ?

Anyway - I am so sorry for all of you who have food allergies! It is rough! I see people who are allergic to (in ADDITION to mine) rice, soy, nuts, etc. and I don't know how you do it! My heart is with you.

For a really good site on food allergies, please look at: http://www.woodmed.com/FoodAllergy.htm

I love you guys!!

- Michelle :wub:

Ads by Google:

that is really interesting! When I was tested via blood tests for food allergies, nothing came up, are there better tests? Or maybe I'm allergic to something weird and it wouldn't have been tested for in the common tests.

I just wanted to tell you guys about this and see if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I talked to my neuropsychologist about it (who has a great background in physiology & scleroderma to boot!). She said that it makes perfect sense - your body produces inflammation when you have allergies, so my wrist hurting is a normal allergic reaction.

lol! that's just what I was thinking as I read through your post. and I think some of us are more sensitive to the effects of inflammation in one part of the body and/or minor inflammation throughout the body.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Weird things people have said
      You are right Dania, you cannot have "mild Coelic" disease and you cannot eat "a bit of gluten here and there" if you've been gluten free for a while. Coelic disease is a lifetime commitment to being gluten free, even if you don't have symptoms, it is still damaging the villi in the gut, which can lead to more serious health problems, (not that Coelic disease is not serious, because it is).  Some people may question whether it is safe to use the same colander as those cooking gluten, but it depends how well it is washed up as it is quite easy to miss bits. Personally, I bought a new one and I would definitely not use the same sieve as the mesh is far too tight not to collect  small amounts of gluten. I'm not too surprised at doctors not knowing all they should know about Coelic disease, it's the same here in the UK where Coelic UK actually advise doctors on the disease. 
    • Depression / anxiety issues
      Hi Chris, haven't had a chance to read the whole conversation but regarding dairy, if you are suspicious of something, drop it for some time and see. You are still healing so maybe dairy is bothering you now. Also look at the nightshades, corn, dairy, soy, and eggs. I had a horrible time last year. I had muscle twitches, brain fog, pain, was tired,etc. I searched online and decided to drop all of those things I mentioned above. I am not sure what bothered me since I dropped them all at once but i slowly began feeling better. Now, i reintroduced eggs again and sometimes have lactose free milk with my coffee. I recommend eating salmon, tuna, bone broth soups, using olive oil and coconut oil and not eating much or not at all processed food even if it is marked gluten free.
    • Weird things people have said
      I've had people say strange things about celiac to me lately... Like someone said, "Oh I'm just a mild celiac so I don't have to worry about cross-contamination." And then someone else said that they're celiac but things have calmed down now so they can have a bit of gluten here and there. And I told my doctor that back in 2014 I thought I had been gluten free but I actually wasn't because I had been repeatedly glutening myself with an old colander. And he just looked at me like I was insane, like a colander?? Sure... I'm not crazy, right? Even if you have no symptoms you have to avoid cross-contamination because you can be doing damage internally right? You can never have 'just a bit'. And a colander is a big source of cross-contamination right?? I know all this but why do these other people not? Why does my doctor not know? So confusing and spreading misinformation... And then they look at me like *I'M* crazy.
    • fructose malabsorption and gluten intolerant
      Look up FODMAPS.   That might clarify things for you.  There really are a lot of diet recommendations so make sure you bring a list of questions regarding foods to your doctor's  and dietician's appointments.  
    • Recovery?
      Thank you for sharing those web sites. I will look at them. We have been gluten free since December so it's been a while. Once, he had a gluten free beer, the kind that they take the gluten out, and his legs felt very heavy and had a more difficult time walking. I really don't want to experiment.  Although I am very careful about what we eat, I am concerned that some of our medication could contain gluten. Is there any easier way to tell if medication has gluten. I did find a website which listed drugs and known gluten but every drug was on it or was determined to be gluten free
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Tams67