Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Know Of A Good Well Rounded Vitamin/mineral Supplement That Is Gluten-Free?

• Please log in to reply

35 replies to this topic

#1 MsCurious

MsCurious

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

I, probably like most of you, feel a huge difference when I don't take a daily multivitamin. I feel draggy, run down, no energy, etc. Its REALLY apparent if I forget to take it (which probably is because all my levels are low, but Dr didn't feel the need to run those tests other than Vitamin D)... Anyway, long story short... Centrum is a no go for gluten-free. So, I'm trying to find an equivalent supplement in gluten-free form. Anyone have suggestions for me? THANKS so much in advance!
~ MsCurious ~
"If you keep doing what you're doing... You'll keep getting what you're getting!"

tTg IgA IgG borderline 1/25/11 Posted Image
HLA DQ2.5 Positive 2/11/11
Biopsy 4/11/11
100% Lactose/Dairy Free 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11
Life is SO MUCH better gluten-free!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

I, probably like most of you, feel a huge difference when I don't take a daily multivitamin. I feel draggy, run down, no energy, etc. Its REALLY apparent if I forget to take it (which probably is because all my levels are low, but Dr didn't feel the need to run those tests other than Vitamin D)... Anyway, long story short... Centrum is a no go for gluten-free. So, I'm trying to find an equvalent supplement in gluten-free form. Anyone have suggestions for me? THANKS so much in advance!

So two responses to you tonight.

I use NatureMade multi vitamins. They had good ratings on Consumer Reports and say gluten-free right on the label.

I would also advise you to take a sublingual (under the tongue disolving) B-12 or B-multi: I use Trader Joes or Twin-labs. I also take a Calcium/Magnesium/Vit D supplement, but if you're already taking D just take magnesium. It really helps my energy, as does the B-12. B-vit also help with sleep and anxiety.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#3 MsCurious

MsCurious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

So two responses to you tonight.

I use NatureMade multi vitamins. They had good ratings on Consumer Reports and say gluten-free right on the label.

I would also advise you to take a sublingual (under the tongue disolving) B-12 or B-multi: I use Trader Joes or Twin-labs. I also take a Calcium/Magnesium/Vit D supplement, but if you're already taking D just take magnesium. It really helps my energy, as does the B-12. B-vit also help with sleep and anxiety.

You are a GEM! Thanks cyberprof! :)
~ MsCurious ~
"If you keep doing what you're doing... You'll keep getting what you're getting!"

Biopsy 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11

#4 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:59 AM

I'm taking all the vitamins Cyberprof suggested.

Pilgrims Pride lits gluten free and wheat free on all of the vitamins I looked at when I was shopping online.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#5 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:59 AM

Here are some of the vitamins I take. And my nails are looking fabulous! :)

GNC Ultra Women's Active Multi vitamin
Vitafusion Gummy Vitamins - Vitamin C 250 (Target has this brand or you could buy them on-line)
Vitafusion Gummy Vitamins - Calcium 500 with vitamin D 1,000
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

#6 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:07 AM

I just started Freeda Vitamins and I like them a lot. Everything is gluten free, a lot of variety, and they're very reasonably priced.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:08 AM

I, probably like most of you, feel a huge difference when I don't take a daily multivitamin. I feel draggy, run down, no energy, etc. Its REALLY apparent if I forget to take it (which probably is because all my levels are low, but Dr didn't feel the need to run those tests other than Vitamin D)... Anyway, long story short... Centrum is a no go for gluten-free. So, I'm trying to find an equivalent supplement in gluten-free form. Anyone have suggestions for me? THANKS so much in advance!

Would you please provide a source for this. I see nothing in the ingredients of either regular Centrum or Centrum Silver that would indicate it contains gluten. http://www.centrum.com/
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#8 Camp Laffalot

Camp Laffalot

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

I take Members Mark Calcium with Vitamin D and Members Mark Super B Complex which is Sam's Club brand. They also got good marks from Consumer Reports. Says gluten free right on the bottle.

#9 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

Would you please provide a source for this. I see nothing in the ingredients of either regular Centrum or Centrum Silver that would indicate it contains gluten. http://www.centrum.com/

I'm wondering the same thing as I've been taking Centrum! I emailed the company first and was told some are gluten-free (will check to see if I still have that email). Perhaps I will need to change to Jamieson or something...
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#10 MsCurious

MsCurious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hi Sylvia,

Because I'm new to the world of gluten free, and trying not to make too many "mistakes" right out of the shute, I couldn't find anything on the bottle, so I called the customer help line... twice! LOL :P The first time the person, said I can't really say one way or the other, and that answer wasn't good enough for me. It sounded like she was a typical "I don't give a rip...don't bother me" kind of employee so I called again the next day and got someone different on the phone. She said, something like, "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you that it is gluten free" So I asked her specifically why... was it because it was processed in a plant that processed products containing wheat or...? And she replied, unfortunately no, its not that simple. We get ingredients from sources all over the globe, and we don't have control of how they are handled prior to reaching us, therefore we cannot guarantee or state that Centrum is gluten free. I asked if they would be doing that anytime soon and she said she was not aware of that being "in the works". I know.. it made me sad too, because I trusted them. They recently merged or were acquired by another company... (it slips my glutened mind at the moment) but perhaps they will tackle that issue. Sorry for the bad news.

And thanks Fire Fairy, Tigercat17 and shopgirl for the addtional info! :) Very helpful!
~ MsCurious ~

Biopsy 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11

#11 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hi Sylvia,

Because I'm new to the world of gluten free, and trying not to make too many "mistakes" right out of the shute, I couldn't find anything on the bottle, so I called the customer help line... twice! LOL :P The first time the person, said I can't really say one way or the other, and that answer wasn't good enough for me. It sounded like she was a typical "I don't give a rip...don't bother me" kind of employee so I called again the next day and got someone different on the phone. She said, something like, "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you that it is gluten free" So I asked her specifically why... was it because it was processed in a plant that processed products containing wheat or...? And she replied, unfortunately no, its not that simple. We get ingredients from sources all over the globe, and we don't have control of how they are handled prior to reaching us, therefore we cannot guarantee or state that Centrum is gluten free. I asked if they would be doing that anytime soon and she said she was not aware of that being "in the works". I know.. it made me sad too, because I trusted them. They recently merged or were acquired by another company... (it slips my glutened mind at the moment) but perhaps they will tackle that issue. Sorry for the bad news.

And thanks Fire Fairy, Tigercat17 and shopgirl for the addtional info! :) Very helpful!

Actually that's a typical CYA statement and true for many products we use all the time. So I'll continue to take my Centrum Silver. I know we take chances buying a lot of things and this is just one of them...we each have to make that decision every day.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#12 Camp Laffalot

Camp Laffalot

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

You bet it's a CYA statement! And I got one the other day when I called the manufacturer of my Pravastatin (generic RX to reduce cholesterol). I spent an hour on the phone being transferred FIVE TIMES! The final answer I got: "To the best of our knowledge, our Pravastatin is gluten free." Really? Probably made in China. I think it is giving me a problem, so will have to get a special prescription from my doctor for the brand name Pravachol as "medically necessary" so that my insurance will pay for it.

#13 MsCurious

MsCurious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

Actually that's a typical CYA statement and true for many products we use all the time. So I'll continue to take my Centrum Silver. I know we take chances buying a lot of things and this is just one of them...we each have to make that decision every day.

Well, the bottom line is, her answer to the question "Is Centrum Gluten Free"... was NO! They have no clue anymore than we do, because they have no control of the ingredients before it reaches them and she said they have MANY sources for ingredients (not always the same one for the same ingredient) and there is no way to track that at this point.

The only way they can say it is gluten free, is if their ingredient providers all certify that they are gluten free, and at this point, they are not. So ultimately, the answer is no, Centrum is not gluten free. One batch may be gluten-free by the "luck of the draw", the next batch, not so much. I'll stick with the gluten free products. Centrum may eventually come around and see that they need to have some accountability for their customers. Until such time, they lost me. B)
~ MsCurious ~

Biopsy 4/11/11
Gluten Free 4/14/11

#14 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

Well, the bottom line is, her answer to the question "Is Centrum Gluten Free"... was NO! They have no clue anymore than we do, because they have no control of the ingredients before it reaches them and she said they have MANY sources for ingredients (not always the same one for the same ingredient) and there is no way to track that at this point.

The only way they can say it is gluten free, is if their ingredient providers all certify that they are gluten free, and at this point, they are not. So ultimately, the answer is no, Centrum is not gluten free. One batch may be gluten-free by the "luck of the draw", the next batch, not so much. I'll stick with the gluten free products. Centrum may eventually come around and see that they need to have some accountability for their customers. Until such time, they lost me. B)

You're right about the bottom line. As of tomorrow (when I get gluten-free multi-vitamins) I am done with Centrum, too. It's not worth it to me - I'm SO strict with everything else that it is not worth taking a chance. My husband will be on Centrum from now on - we have 10 bottles (they were half price with expiry dates into 2013)!!!!!!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#15 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:27 PM

That's one of the nice things about smaller companies whether it's vitamins and supplements or makeup and beauty products. There's a better chance that they know where their source materials are coming from and, if they don't, find a company that does. PITA, I know, but it's worth supporting the people and companies who know exactly what's in their products including those raw ingredients the large corporations blithely use without a second thought.

(Has Celiac Disease turned me into a hippie? :o)
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: