This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Know Of A Good Well Rounded Vitamin/mineral Supplement That Is Gluten-Free?

MsCurious

MsCurious Enthusiast

I, probably like most of you, feel a huge difference when I don't take a daily multivitamin. I feel draggy, run down, no energy, etc. Its REALLY apparent if I forget to take it (which probably is because all my levels are low, but Dr didn't feel the need to run those tests other than Vitamin D)... Anyway, long story short... Centrum is a no go for gluten-free. So, I'm trying to find an equivalent supplement in gluten-free form. Anyone have suggestions for me? THANKS so much in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyberprof Enthusiast

I, probably like most of you, feel a huge difference when I don't take a daily multivitamin. I feel draggy, run down, no energy, etc. Its REALLY apparent if I forget to take it (which probably is because all my levels are low, but Dr didn't feel the need to run those tests other than Vitamin D)... Anyway, long story short... Centrum is a no go for gluten-free. So, I'm trying to find an equvalent supplement in gluten-free form. Anyone have suggestions for me? THANKS so much in advance!

So two responses to you tonight.

I use NatureMade multi vitamins. They had good ratings on Consumer Reports and say gluten-free right on the label.

I would also advise you to take a sublingual (under the tongue disolving) B-12 or B-multi: I use Trader Joes or Twin-labs. I also take a Calcium/Magnesium/Vit D supplement, but if you're already taking D just take magnesium. It really helps my energy, as does the B-12. B-vit also help with sleep and anxiety.

MsCurious Enthusiast

So two responses to you tonight.

I use NatureMade multi vitamins. They had good ratings on Consumer Reports and say gluten-free right on the label.

I would also advise you to take a sublingual (under the tongue disolving) B-12 or B-multi: I use Trader Joes or Twin-labs. I also take a Calcium/Magnesium/Vit D supplement, but if you're already taking D just take magnesium. It really helps my energy, as does the B-12. B-vit also help with sleep and anxiety.

You are a GEM! Thanks cyberprof! :)

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I'm taking all the vitamins Cyberprof suggested.

Pilgrims Pride lits gluten free and wheat free on all of the vitamins I looked at when I was shopping online.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Here are some of the vitamins I take. And my nails are looking fabulous! :)

GNC Ultra Women's Active Multi vitamin

Vitafusion Gummy Vitamins - Vitamin C 250 (Target has this brand or you could buy them on-line)

Vitafusion Gummy Vitamins - Calcium 500 with vitamin D 1,000

shopgirl Contributor

I just started Freeda Vitamins and I like them a lot. Everything is gluten free, a lot of variety, and they're very reasonably priced.

sa1937 Community Regular

I, probably like most of you, feel a huge difference when I don't take a daily multivitamin. I feel draggy, run down, no energy, etc. Its REALLY apparent if I forget to take it (which probably is because all my levels are low, but Dr didn't feel the need to run those tests other than Vitamin D)... Anyway, long story short... Centrum is a no go for gluten-free. So, I'm trying to find an equivalent supplement in gluten-free form. Anyone have suggestions for me? THANKS so much in advance!

Would you please provide a source for this. I see nothing in the ingredients of either regular Centrum or Centrum Silver that would indicate it contains gluten. Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Camp Laffalot Newbie

I take Members Mark Calcium with Vitamin D and Members Mark Super B Complex which is Sam's Club brand. They also got good marks from Consumer Reports. Says gluten free right on the bottle.

love2travel Mentor

Would you please provide a source for this. I see nothing in the ingredients of either regular Centrum or Centrum Silver that would indicate it contains gluten. Open Original Shared Link

I'm wondering the same thing as I've been taking Centrum! I emailed the company first and was told some are gluten-free (will check to see if I still have that email). Perhaps I will need to change to Jamieson or something...

MsCurious Enthusiast

Hi Sylvia,

Because I'm new to the world of gluten free, and trying not to make too many "mistakes" right out of the shute, I couldn't find anything on the bottle, so I called the customer help line... twice! LOL :P The first time the person, said I can't really say one way or the other, and that answer wasn't good enough for me. It sounded like she was a typical "I don't give a rip...don't bother me" kind of employee so I called again the next day and got someone different on the phone. She said, something like, "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you that it is gluten free" So I asked her specifically why... was it because it was processed in a plant that processed products containing wheat or...? And she replied, unfortunately no, its not that simple. We get ingredients from sources all over the globe, and we don't have control of how they are handled prior to reaching us, therefore we cannot guarantee or state that Centrum is gluten free. I asked if they would be doing that anytime soon and she said she was not aware of that being "in the works". I know.. it made me sad too, because I trusted them. They recently merged or were acquired by another company... (it slips my glutened mind at the moment) but perhaps they will tackle that issue. Sorry for the bad news.

And thanks Fire Fairy, Tigercat17 and shopgirl for the addtional info! :) Very helpful!

sa1937 Community Regular

Hi Sylvia,

Because I'm new to the world of gluten free, and trying not to make too many "mistakes" right out of the shute, I couldn't find anything on the bottle, so I called the customer help line... twice! LOL :P The first time the person, said I can't really say one way or the other, and that answer wasn't good enough for me. It sounded like she was a typical "I don't give a rip...don't bother me" kind of employee so I called again the next day and got someone different on the phone. She said, something like, "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you that it is gluten free" So I asked her specifically why... was it because it was processed in a plant that processed products containing wheat or...? And she replied, unfortunately no, its not that simple. We get ingredients from sources all over the globe, and we don't have control of how they are handled prior to reaching us, therefore we cannot guarantee or state that Centrum is gluten free. I asked if they would be doing that anytime soon and she said she was not aware of that being "in the works". I know.. it made me sad too, because I trusted them. They recently merged or were acquired by another company... (it slips my glutened mind at the moment) but perhaps they will tackle that issue. Sorry for the bad news.

And thanks Fire Fairy, Tigercat17 and shopgirl for the addtional info! :) Very helpful!

Actually that's a typical CYA statement and true for many products we use all the time. So I'll continue to take my Centrum Silver. I know we take chances buying a lot of things and this is just one of them...we each have to make that decision every day.

Camp Laffalot Newbie

You bet it's a CYA statement! And I got one the other day when I called the manufacturer of my Pravastatin (generic RX to reduce cholesterol). I spent an hour on the phone being transferred FIVE TIMES! The final answer I got: "To the best of our knowledge, our Pravastatin is gluten free." Really? Probably made in China. I think it is giving me a problem, so will have to get a special prescription from my doctor for the brand name Pravachol as "medically necessary" so that my insurance will pay for it.

MsCurious Enthusiast

Actually that's a typical CYA statement and true for many products we use all the time. So I'll continue to take my Centrum Silver. I know we take chances buying a lot of things and this is just one of them...we each have to make that decision every day.

Well, the bottom line is, her answer to the question "Is Centrum Gluten Free"... was NO! They have no clue anymore than we do, because they have no control of the ingredients before it reaches them and she said they have MANY sources for ingredients (not always the same one for the same ingredient) and there is no way to track that at this point.

The only way they can say it is gluten free, is if their ingredient providers all certify that they are gluten free, and at this point, they are not. So ultimately, the answer is no, Centrum is not gluten free. One batch may be gluten-free by the "luck of the draw", the next batch, not so much. I'll stick with the gluten free products. Centrum may eventually come around and see that they need to have some accountability for their customers. Until such time, they lost me. B)

love2travel Mentor

Well, the bottom line is, her answer to the question "Is Centrum Gluten Free"... was NO! They have no clue anymore than we do, because they have no control of the ingredients before it reaches them and she said they have MANY sources for ingredients (not always the same one for the same ingredient) and there is no way to track that at this point.

The only way they can say it is gluten free, is if their ingredient providers all certify that they are gluten free, and at this point, they are not. So ultimately, the answer is no, Centrum is not gluten free. One batch may be gluten-free by the "luck of the draw", the next batch, not so much. I'll stick with the gluten free products. Centrum may eventually come around and see that they need to have some accountability for their customers. Until such time, they lost me. B)

You're right about the bottom line. As of tomorrow (when I get gluten-free multi-vitamins) I am done with Centrum, too. It's not worth it to me - I'm SO strict with everything else that it is not worth taking a chance. My husband will be on Centrum from now on - we have 10 bottles (they were half price with expiry dates into 2013)!!!!!!

shopgirl Contributor

That's one of the nice things about smaller companies

sfamor Rookie

I really like Rainbow Light products. I get them from Whole Foods, but they can be ordered online or at other natural food stores. I have read that their prenatal vitamins are NOT gluten free. Their women's formula is. This is what they say on their website:

Allergens: What Rainbow Light products are soy free? gluten-free? wheat free? dairy free?

Rainbow Light

sa1937 Community Regular

The only problem with that is if you ask six different customer service reps the same question, you'll probably get six different answers. And even if companies test their products and their basic test is under 20 ppm, they could add gluten-free to the label when gluten-free is not really guaranteed to be gluten-free. And here in the U.S. we still don't have a standard as to what constitutes gluten-free. So much for the FDA. And drugs are a whole other ballgame.

I am far more concerned about the safety of our food supply...shop the outer rim of the store for fresh fruit, veggies and plain meats and then we only have to concern ourselves with E. coli, salmonella, et al. And eating out with a possibliity of CC is far more worrisome to me than taking Centrum.

I have to admit that in the 11 months I've been gluten-free, I've never ever called a company to inquire about their products. On the other hand, I've read more labels than I even care to think about.

love2travel Mentor

The only problem with that is if you ask six different customer service reps the same question, you'll probably get six different answers. And even if companies test their products and their basic test is under 20 ppm, they could add gluten-free to the label when gluten-free is not really guaranteed to be gluten-free. And here in the U.S. we still don't have a standard as to what constitutes gluten-free. So much for the FDA. And drugs are a whole other ballgame.

I am far more concerned about the safety of our food supply...shop the outer rim of the store for fresh fruit, veggies and plain meats and then we only have to concern ourselves with E. coli, salmonella, et al. And eating out with a possibliity of CC is far more worrisome to me than taking Centrum.

I have to admit that in the 11 months I've been gluten-free, I've never ever called a company to inquire about their products. On the other hand, I've read more labels than I even care to think about.

Wow - in the month I have been gluten-free I have called and emailed almost daily to inquire about products including toothpastes, vitamins, mouthwash, food products and so on. Sometimes I have been surprised at some things that do contain gluten that made no mention of it on labels (i.e. "spices"). I just found out lately that a corn tortilla I had been ingesting the odd time said it is gluten-free on their website BUT they had not changed their website or labelling yet. Thank goodness I called and found out that sure enough, there is gluten in their seasoning.

sa1937 Community Regular

Wow - in the month I have been gluten-free I have called and emailed almost daily to inquire about products including toothpastes, vitamins, mouthwash, food products and so on. Sometimes I have been surprised at some things that do contain gluten that made no mention of it on labels (i.e. "spices"). I just found out lately that a corn tortilla I had been ingesting the odd time said it is gluten-free on their website BUT they had not changed their website or labelling yet. Thank goodness I called and found out that sure enough, there is gluten in their seasoning.

That's a bummer! I think the labels on products are probably more up-to-date than the info on the websites. And even then we can never really be sure.

MsCurious Enthusiast

Wow - in the month I have been gluten-free I have called and emailed almost daily to inquire about products

Me too love2travel.... better safe than sorry! ;) Besides, the more calls we make, the more aware these companies are ...of our needs, and our numbers... so to that I say... INQUIRE ...INQUIRE... INQUIRE! ;) There IS strength in numbers. B)

love2travel Mentor

Me too love2travel.... better safe than sorry! ;) Besides, the more calls we make, the more aware these companies are ...of our needs, and our numbers... so to that I say... INQUIRE ...INQUIRE... INQUIRE! ;) There IS strength in numbers. B)

That is so true! I would rather be proactive and safe than sorry. Plus my goal is to have ZERO gluten, not 10-20 pppm. That means nothing to me. I am trying so hard; in fact, at the dentist today, I did not even have fluoride treatment as it was not guaranteed gluten-free. If I am going to be stringent, it is going to be 100% all the time.

MsCurious Enthusiast

Thanks everybody, for all your suggestions and personal experiences! That really helps me out in finding a Vitamin Supplement to replace Centrum. :) Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
chili Apprentice

dont take new chapter they made me really sick!! I am still recovering 3 days later!!!

love2travel Mentor

Just found out that Centrum made in Canada are indeed gluten-free. Good news! :)

MsCurious Enthusiast

... lil update to my own original post:

I found gluten free multivitamins at Sam's Club - Members Mark brand, and while I was there, I found Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D and called them quickly on that, and it is also gluten free! YAY! I'm all set for 400 days. ;)

Archived