9 replies to this topic

#1 cdford

cdford

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:00 PM

I hate to give up on the board today because I might miss some of those messages since my last visit, but it is soooo slow. Even with DSL it is taking up to thirty seconds to change screens. I have run both my spyware programs so that is not the problem. My DSL modem is not blinking like crazy on the busy button. Anything else I might try?
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

When I am having troubles with my computer, I usually go to TrendMicro for their free online scan. They pick up viruses & spyware that my VirusScan Program misses. If you want to try them out - here's the website: http://www.trendmicr.../enterprise.htm

My boyfriend told me about their site a while ago. He's got a serious geek streak ;) But damn is he smart!

- Michelle

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:27 PM

I'm really slow today, too...and no spyware or viruses here...I run two anti-virus scans about weekly and spyware checks about twice daily.... Just a slow connection time today, and I have a normally very fast wireless connection... not much you can do on those days--I'm having the same problem. Could the weather where you are be affecting it?

#4 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 05:53 PM

Sometimes this site is really slow for me, but the rest of the internet is ok. I usually just wait a while and try again.

If everything is slow, then you may have spy-ware. Have you updated your spyware programs recently? The way to check to see if you have spyware is to press ctrl-alt-delete on your keyboard, then click on processes on the Windows task manager that pops up (This will show you everything that is currently running on your computer), scroll down the list and look under CPU, (this list will tell you how much time your computer processor is using for each program running), now if there is something usuing an abnormal amount of processor time and you don't know what it is... it is most likely spyware. This would slow everything down. If this is your problem let me know and I will tell you how to get rid of it.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#5 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:40 AM

I had the entire internet slow yesterday, but it wasn't spyware. I have a number of programs I use to snare about everything. It was actually just a slow connection--and today it's back to normal.

#6 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:05 AM

It seems to be better today. I keep my spyware and virus protection up to date. I actually use multiple spyware programs because one will not catch everything. I used to be a tech writer and learned quickly to recognize the general symptoms and fix any viruses, etc. quickly. I could not afford to lose hundreds of pages of a system manual because I wasn't vigilant. Those at the office used to laugh and say that I could look at a system and tell you which virus it had before we ran the detection software...especially if it effected Word documents. It was fun to catch them when the systems guys were saying there wasn't one. It was rare that I could show those guys up in any way.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free

#7 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:07 AM

And yes, celiac3270, everything is impacted by the rain here lately.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,265 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

The board is actually very fast, and this problem is likely your connection to the Internet, and/or sypware, viruses, etc.

One other person who had the same problem found out it was a problem with his modem.

Take care,
Scott
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

It was fast for me yesterday too
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#10 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:50 PM

The board is actually very fast, and this problem is likely your connection to the Internet, and/or sypware, viruses, etc.

Ok, it must be my internet connection (DSL) at home that makes it slow. I have never had problems with this site anywhere else and the other places where I use the internet have faster internet connections (T1 and high speed cable).
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: