This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Chocolate

Lalama

Lalama Apprentice

Ok quick question for chocolate lovers. :) I am currently on enzymes, probiotics and isotonic vitamins to heal leaky gut syndrome/malabsorption. I have heard a lot about staying away from chocolate. Now I don't eat a lot of chocolate-usually I treat myself once a week on the weekends and I eat dairy/soy/gluten free chocolate. Is this a bad to have when you are healing the gut? It doesn't seem to bother me in small amounts, but I just want to be safe...it has been hard to totally cut it out ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I'm a chocolate lover.

It doesn't cause me problems.

Therefore, I believe it is necessary for healing! ;)

bisja Apprentice

Ok quick question for chocolate lovers. :) I am currently on enzymes, probiotics and isotonic vitamins to heal leaky gut syndrome/malabsorption. I have heard a lot about staying away from chocolate. Now I don't eat a lot of chocolate-usually I treat myself once a week on the weekends and I eat dairy/soy/gluten free chocolate. Is this a bad to have when you are healing the gut? It doesn't seem to bother me in small amounts, but I just want to be safe...it has been hard to totally cut it out ;)

Lalama could you tell me what brand of chocolate you eat and also what brands of enzymes, probiotics and vitamins you take? I love chocolate but eat it rarely as my stomach is so touchy. Have just started to go dairy free to see if that helps.

Lalama Apprentice

Lalama could you tell me what brand of chocolate you eat and also what brands of enzymes, probiotics and vitamins you take? I love chocolate but eat it rarely as my stomach is so touchy. Have just started to go dairy free to see if that helps.

eatme4good-Glad to hear that! I will keep enjoying my weekly chocolate :D

Bisja- I eat EnjoyLife chocolate-only in small amounts though-I don't want to push it!

I use Digest Gold enzymes, Natures Sunshine Milk free Acidophilus probiotics and Optihealth XtraVite. The EtraVite vitamin I have not been using for too long. My naturopath put me on these (except for the enzymes). I had previously been using a different probiotic that was not helping at all-this one is definitly stronger but works good. But brands are different from person to person...so it depends what your needs are. Are you taking anything now?

Looking for answers Contributor

What do you think of Isotonix vitamins? I was on them for a long time but stopped because I hated the extra sugar. I'm thinking about going back on them. Have they been working well for you?

Looking for answers Contributor

BTW, I don't think eating chocolate is a big deal if it's not troublesome for you. I just would eat it every day, the same goes with all foods with leaky gut syndrome. I developed several new intolerances because I ate too many of the same foods over and over.

Lalama Apprentice

What do you think of Isotonix vitamins? I was on them for a long time but stopped because I hated the extra sugar. I'm thinking about going back on them. Have they been working well for you?

I have been on them for about 4 weeks now and feel slightly more energetic. Although that is the same time I started taking a vitamin D supplement, so not sure what to attribute it to. I agree with you about disliking the extra sugar. Actually, I just found out that there is apple pectin in mine-which may explain why my eyes have been itching the last couple of weeks. I see my doctor tomorrow so I am going to try to switch brands.

Did you notice a difference from taking them. And did you switch back to a regulare multivitamin?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bisja Apprentice

eatme4good-Glad to hear that! I will keep enjoying my weekly chocolate :D

Bisja- I eat EnjoyLife chocolate-only in small amounts though-I don't want to push it!

I use Digest Gold enzymes, Natures Sunshine Milk free Acidophilus probiotics and Optihealth XtraVite. The EtraVite vitamin I have not been using for too long. My naturopath put me on these (except for the enzymes). I had previously been using a different probiotic that was not helping at all-this one is definitly stronger but works good. But brands are different from person to person...so it depends what your needs are. Are you taking anything now?

Lalama I take vit.D and magnesium calcium and a multi vit. but I am not good at taking every day like I should, told myself about 5 days ago it was time to getting stricter on that.

bisja Apprentice

BTW, I don't think eating chocolate is a big deal if it's not troublesome for you. I just would eat it every day, the same goes with all foods with leaky gut syndrome. I developed several new intolerances because I ate too many of the same foods over and over.

looking for answers I like you have problems if I eat one thing too many days in a row I have to really spread things out it seems.

crimbles Newbie

I never have issues with dark chocolate, at least 75% cocoa. And I love it! I hide a bar of chocolove chili cherry in my freezer and devour it one bar at a time... ;)

Archived