Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Vitamin/mineral Levels Normal With Gluten Intolerance?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 Buffheart

Buffheart

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi all! I am still somewhat new here and haven't posted a lot. In August 2010 my GI doctor told me I might have gluten intolerance/sensitivities. From what I have read a lot of people with Celiac/gluten intolerance have deficiencies in vitamins and minerals. I have blood drawn a couple times a year and they always come back fine. No anemia, thyroid fine, all levels completely normal, even though I don't take multivitamins and don't always eat too healthy. How is this possible? Is this normal for people with gluten issues?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:36 PM

Vitamin deficiency is common in celiacs, but is not universal. Depending on the level of damage to the villi, you may absorb enough nutrients to not test as deficient. I would guess, though, that you are at the lower end of the "normal" range.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:25 PM

I think it really depends on how much damage has been done to your intestines...it's different time frames for different people, it seems. My symptoms have progressively gotten worse over the years, this last year being particularly awful and with significant weight loss. I think it's possible that maybe your insides aren't that damaged, yet...but trust me, you don't want to get to that point! Will your doctor send you for the blood test for gluten sensitivity?

#4 Buffheart

Buffheart

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

I had some kind of tests done in May. They were in-depth tests and they came back indicating that something was amiss, but my endoscopy was totally normal. I even have the pictures! Unfortunately I do not have a copy of my test results.

#5 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

My iron always came back normal, but "a little on the low side." And I've never had other bloodwork come back abnormal until the celiac blood panel, which was very positive.

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#6 Buffheart

Buffheart

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

Actually, I did have blood work done about a month ago to test vitamin/mineral/blood sugar, but my doctor never called and told me the results like she said she would...

I can only assume everything was normal, like usual.

#7 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

All of my vitamin and mineral levels checked out too — although I realize some of those tests can't be 100% accurate because of the way our bodies actually store certain vitamins. I've started supplementing with a multi, some extra D3, and a couple others anyway.

But normal vitamin/mineral levels certainly aren't indicative of how your body reacts to gluten — it's just something that can go along with it.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

Actually, I did have blood work done about a month ago to test vitamin/mineral/blood sugar, but my doctor never called and told me the results like she said she would...

I can only assume everything was normal, like usual.

We can never ass-u-me anything. I make it a point to always pick up a copy of my lab work. You're entitled to copies of all your test results.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

I agree with Sylvia. Your readings can be strictly interpreted as normal, but you can be on the very bottom rung of the ladder, barely hanging on. With most nutrients that gluten intolerants become deficient in, you need to be mid-range, not at the lowest possible level of normal :huh:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#10 Buffheart

Buffheart

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

Next time I see my doctors I will ask for copies. How long does blood work take? I can't imagine it would take a month to test fir vitamin, minerals, and blood sugar, especially when there are several labs nearby.

What is lower "normal" range? Is it good?

#11 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

Well, I guess what I was trying to say is, if a hypothetical range of normal for Vitamin D is 32 to 320, and you measured 32 on the test, you would not be at optimum health and it wouldn't take much to push you under. Also, what is being measured is what is circulating in your blood stream only, not what is actually contained in your cells, which could be lower. So it is a real warning flag that you need some more Vitamin D. A better reading would be around 200, which is a lot different than 32. Vitamin D controls so many functions in the body, including the making of bone, and you want to make sure your bones are as strong as possible, I would think.

Some tests take longer to process than others, some cannot be done in house and have to be sent to specialized labs. I believe Vitamin D is one of these.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#12 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

Well, I guess what I was trying to say is, if a hypothetical range of normal for Vitamin D is 32 to 320, and you measured 32 on the test, you would not be at optimum health and it wouldn't take much to push you under. Also, what is being measured is what is circulating in your blood stream only, not what is actually contained in your cells, which could be lower. So it is a real warning flag that you need some more Vitamin D. A better reading would be around 200, which is a lot different than 32. Vitamin D controls so many functions in the body, including the making of bone, and you want to make sure your bones are as strong as possible, I would think.

Some tests take longer to process than others, some cannot be done in house and have to be sent to specialized labs. I believe Vitamin D is one of these.

Yeah and a lot of doctors just look at the range and if you're 'normal' you're ok. I don't think that gives the whole picture. For what reason are we at the bottom of the range? My doctor isn't worried about my iron levels, but I'm sitting on the very bottom rung of that ladder.

Also there are unrelated issues that could cause problems in the future. My B12 was within the normal range but I'm taking a drug that can cause B12 levels to deplete (Metformin) so they could get worse despite me being gluten free. The "normal" results might only be at a moment in time, not necessarily indicative of ongoing good health.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: