Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Hershey's Cookie 'n' Cream Drops - Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 Will023

Will023

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hi I'm in Alberta, Canada and just bought a package of Hershey's Cookies 'n' Cream drops. I was super excited to see that there was no gluten in them! However, when I was looking on the American site the ingredients were much different. Does Hershey's Canada produce things differently from in the States?

Here are the Canadian ingredients:

Sugar, Milk Ingredients, Modified Palm Oil and Vegetable Oil (Shea, Sunflower and/or safflower), Corn Syrup Solids, Corn Starch, Cocoa Powder, Modified Corn Starch, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Soy Lecithin, Gum Acacia, Confectioner's Glaze, Salt, Artificial Flavour, Tocopherols, Polygycerol, Polyricinoleat, Color. ALLERGY INFORMATION: MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS/TREE NUTS

Here are the American Ingredients:

Ingredients: Sugar, Vegetable Oil (Cocoa Butter, Palm, Shea, Sunflower, Canola and/or Safflower Oil), Nonfat Milk, Corn Syrup, Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, and Folic Acid), Milk Fat, Contains 2% or Less of: Cocoa Processed with Alkali), Whey (Milk), Soy Lecithin, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Chocolate, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Sodium Bicarbonate, Salt, Confectioner's Glaze, Gum Acacia, Tocopherols to Maintain Freshness, PGPR - Emulsifier, Artificial Color (Blue 2 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake).

Someone please help me with this. I would really like to find out if these are actually gluten free in Canada.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hello, and welcome.

Some products vary in their ingredients from country to country. Hershey and Campbell's have very different ingredients in Canada than in the US.

That said, I don't see anything in the Canadian ingredient list that could be hiding gluten.

In Canada, wheat is a "priority allergen" and will be disclosed on the label. Barley can hide in both Canada and the US, but none of the listed ingredients suggest to me that it is present. My take is that the Canadian product is gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:58 AM

Some products vary in their ingredients from country to country. Hershey and Campbell's have very different ingredients in Canada than in the US.

Someone could start an awesome business shipping us gluten-free Canadian versions of things, and shipping them Northern Folk gluten-free versions of our foods. So curious about the ingredients.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: