9 replies to this topic

#1 thleensd

thleensd

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

When my man moved in with me, we decided to use only my gluten-free cookware, and if we needed something else we'd buy it. Until now. He cleaned out his garage and really wants to use this old cast iron pan. I know cast iron is porous and really hard to clean, but he had an idea.... he read you could sandblast and resurface the pan. So, he took it to his shop and took off a nice thick layer of pan. The pan is now a dull silvery color, the usual black cast-iron look is gone. He'd like to re-season it now and use it.

My concern is that the porous nature of the plan will render it unsafe. It is my understanding that the pores open when it's warm and close when it's cold. When I look at the pan, it looks fairly clean, but it seems to me that the holes in it may have been there before. He swears that they weren't and that it's a new layer with a new set of holes that has never seen wheat flour. But, I really have no way of knowing....I didn't see it before, and I don't have any idea what cast iron looks like under a microscope or if this could be an issue.

I do realize I may be over-reacting to not want to use it, but I'm still very sick and don't want to take chances. I'm two years very, very strictly gluten-free (including all non-food products), but am still very much in recovery with terrible fatigue.

He's usually very cool about not using things I'm wary about even if I'm over-cautious, but he's very insistent on keeping this pan.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone done this?

I also don't know if it's safe in general to sandblast and resurface a cast iron pan without having it professionally done. Will I be eating shards of metal or something? Do I need to make it turn black before use?

By the way, I went to the Lodge Cast Iron website to see what the pans come oiled with. FYI, it's soy based. I'm sure the severely soy allergic would want to know that! :blink:
Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.
Negative blood tests (following gluten light diet)

Still healing with time, harmony, and good food.
Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

Your signature says you are gluten light?

Maybe that is old, and you are now 2 years gluten free and still having fatigue.

A lot of people have reseasoned their old cast iron pans and have been fine with using them.

It seems to me that him sandblasting a whole layer of cast iron off his pan would have totally eliminated any old burned on gluten and along with the additional layer of metal. I would think that would make it safe to use, as long as you re-season it.

But then again, I have never heard of anyone taking this step. That is some kinda love for the cast iron pan. And some kinda love for you too!

I think he went over and above what most peope do to get rid of gluten and re-season their cast iron pan. I can't imagine how a speck of gluten could have survived it.

I would probably feel comfortable with that and use it. But if you don't feel comfortable, just let him use it for his food.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

The usual way people handle their cast iron pans is to leave them in the oven during a self-clean cycle, and then reseason them. I would think the sandblasting would have taken off more than the self-clean cycle so you should be just find.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Waverlywoods

Waverlywoods

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:07 AM

to re-season the pan put a light coat of bacon grease or vegetable oil on it ( light coat) and place in over w/high heat till it stops smoking (will smoke alot). You may have to repeat this step since the pan has been sand blasted.

I always hand wash my cast iron skillet and place on range to dry immedialy then add light coat of veg oil and smoke it some. Take a paper towel and wipe the bottom surface some, and a few drops of oil and work that in.

doing this, I've not had to re-season in the oven ever.

#5 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:09 AM

wow. i'm marrying him. :D

does that work, leaving the pans in the self-cleaning oven when you clean it? because (i, too, have a cast iron man) this will make today a very nice day. also, he will clean the oven :D he will be so happy! i wasn't sure if that would work. but he re-season(s)/(ed) the pans every time we used them.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:14 AM

Your signature says you are gluten light?

Maybe that is old, and you are now 2 years gluten free and still having fatigue.

I took that to mean she was gluten light at the time of her testing possibly resulting in the negative results.
"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:08 AM

The sandblasting should be more than enough to get rid of any gluten. You don't have to worry about pores opening and gluten getting stuck in them either. Cast iron pans have a textured surface generally and that texture with all it's little valleys and pits is what could make it hard to get rid of gluten. But sandblasting removes the whole surface layer anyway so not a problem. Seasoning the pan just requires a coat of oil and some baking. The oil turns to carbon and that carbon layer coats the cast iron and gives it that black color. Also the carbon makes it less sticky, long as you have a little oil in the pan. Hubby done a great job of cleaning the pan for you. Just don't let him clean your china that way. :D :D :D :D
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#8 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
--Hippocrates

#9 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

I took that to mean she was gluten light at the time of her testing possibly resulting in the negative results.

Thank you. I was worried but get it now. :)
--Hippocrates

#10 thleensd

thleensd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:42 PM

Just don't let him clean your china that way. :D :D :D :D

HAHA!
:lol:
Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.
Negative blood tests (following gluten light diet)

Still healing with time, harmony, and good food.
Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: