9 replies to this topic

#1 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:16 PM

I'm considering getting a Copper IUD put in. I've heard great things about them but I'd like to hear more stories from people before making my decision. Especially people that have had horrible cramping that may have gotten better after going gluten-free. Did you have problems with cramping return or?

At the 10 month mark being gluten-free and my cramps are nonexistent. I'd like to get off my Ortho but don't want to get pregnant.

Any insight is appreciated! :)
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

...dang...there goes chocolate... :bawl:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:22 AM

I had the Mirena (not the copper IUD but the one that has hormones) for a year. I got a bunch of abdominal cramping with it, but only with orgasms. My periods were nonexistent and I didn't have menstrual cramping. The orgasm-related pain, however, was the reason I had it taken out. At that time, I didn't have any problems with gluten and my Celiac symptoms had yet to begin.

One of my friends has had Celiac since we were kids and she has also had the copper IUD for years and loves it. She has no problems from it.

#3 koolsharkz

koolsharkz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

I have a copper IUD, and I love it! I've had it for 3 months, and my cramps did return again at the beginning, but they've disappeared. It's possible that it'll make your cramping worse, but a lot of people find that after the first few months it levels off to where you were at before. It affects everyone differently, so the only way to know for sure is to try it... if the cramps are awful, you can easily get it removed, which was a great reassurance for me! As someone who doesn't tolerate hormones, the copper IUD is so so so fabulous, and I highly recommend it :)

#4 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Very helpful! :)
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy

#5 Melstar23

Melstar23

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

I have had a copper iud for 2.5years and I love it. My period pains never changed, they have never been bad though, and they did't get heavier which is what all the doctors told me would happen. It is good to never have to remember a pill or suffer side-effects from hormones. If it doesn't work out for you, you can just have it removed.

#6 RebeccaLynn

RebeccaLynn

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

I have had my copper IUD for 3 years, and I love it as well! It was a bit uncomfortable at first, but have had no problems or cramping at all since then. I got it before my Gluten Intolerance reared its ugly head, so Im not sure the difference it made, if any. I highly recommend it as it doesn't have hormones, and you don't have to think about birth control at all. Good luck!
Dairy Free since 1997
Gluten Free Oct 2010

#7 ilikepie

ilikepie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

I also had a mirena IUD and also had horrible cramping after orgasms. I also had severe cramping once when the IUD shifted inside my body randomly. I got it taken out the next day. It scared me to think that this tiny thing could puncture my internal organs or uterine wall. I will never do anything like that again. Or use synthetic hormones. It makes me sick to think that a doctor was willing to put that thing inside me.

I was told that the copper IUD can significantly increase cramping, which was why I opted for the mirena.
Your body is speaking. Are you listening?

#8 Hawthorn

Hawthorn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

I have had both the mirena and the copper coil. I had to have the copper coil removed because I just bled constantly on it, it really didn't agree with me at all.

The nurse said that was really uncommon, although it can cause heavier periods.

I had no pain after initial cramping with both types of coil. That cramping was gone within a couple of weeks of having them fitted.

Good luck, and i hope it works for you. Take a couple of painkillers before you go to have it fitted, it helps although it's not as scary as you think it will be if that makes sense. It takes seconds :)

#9 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

Thank you everyone. I have decided to risk it. I don't see any other option at this point as I don't want hormones and will not use condoms etc. I don't like the thought of it but I like it better than being pregnant at this point. ;)

My Doc (who is also gluten competent btw!) showed me the whole thing and how it is done the other day. Helped to put me at ease a bit too.

Thanks again! :D
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy

#10 Cypressmyst

Cypressmyst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:11 PM

Just had it put in yesterday. Cramping is about half as bad as my worst period cramps. It wasn't pleasant by any means but it wasn't the end of the world either. Over in 5 minutes.

I generally don't take my PAPs well and want to climb the ceiling when they are done. This is my first OB Gyn visit since going gluten free 11 months ago. My body is significantly less inflamed and on edge so that could contribute to the ease of the exam. It was a night and day difference there.

Also I took 800 mg of ibruprofen 30 minutes prior and my doc gave me a prescription for misoprostol 200 mcg. Double the normal dose (ask your doc for it if you are having a PAP and can't stand them. It made a big difference. :) ) so be sure to recommend that to your doc too.

I get better each passing hour with the cramping. I'll keep this thread updated for any who are interested as I go along.

Thanks again!
Grain Free
Casein Free
Soy Free
Refined Sugar Free
Preservative Free
Free Range
Free Willy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: