18 replies to this topic

#1 CourtneyLee

CourtneyLee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:28 AM

Hey guys! So, I really want a tattoo to symbolize to stay strong and such, just because being diagnosed was such a big change. Any ideas?
Also, will I react to the ink?
Thankyou

courtney xo

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:03 AM

You shouldn't react to the ink but try not to use red as that is more likely to cause reactions in people. You could look up words that are meaningful to you in other languages that don't use the 'english' alphabet or pick a symbol that means a lot to you. For example, my first tattoo was a butterfly which for me symbolized freedom, I have one that symbolizes self-realization that is celtic and one that means the relationship between God, man and all the prophets in another language. Do get it in a place that is easily covered, whether we like it or not tattoos are a turnoff for some folks and you don't want it in an obvious place when you are going for a job interview in some professions. If your female the small of your back (a tramp stamp) is not a good place, IMHO. Also consider what will happen to it as you age, the breast area may not be a good spot for that reason. Upper arm and shoulder blade are good spots and easily covered. You should also be aware that having a tattoo can make you more likely to react to hair dyes and getting rid of them is not an easy prospect so if it is your first give it a lot of thought before you have it done.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:39 AM

I think it's a great idea. Ravenwood is very wise in her suggestions. I myself have a "tramp stamp" which in my case is the definition of false advertising. :) I get upset when people judge others on there appearance so I find it amusing to have a "tramp stamp" except.....on rare occasions when creepy people see it and make rude (lewd) comments. That really upsets me.

There are so many things you could do to mark your diagnosis I hope you are able to find something you really like. Just be certain if you do so with a tat that it is something you won't ever regret.

PS Thanks a lot now I'm wanting to get one to mark my diagnosis and my path to a healthier life. I'm learning to be more of a nature girl. ;) I'm liking the idea of a green vine peace sign. :)
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#4 Stellar003

Stellar003

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:06 AM

If i had to choose a symbol i believe it would be a Phoenix!

#5 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

If i had to choose a symbol i believe it would be a Phoenix!

I've always wanted a phoenix myself. It is an excellent choice. Rebirth, rising from the ashes.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#6 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

I've always wanted a phoenix myself. It is an excellent choice. Rebirth, rising from the ashes.

I absolutely love the idea of a phoenix!!

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#7 CourtneyLee

CourtneyLee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

thanks so much guys! a phoenix would be beautiful. i was thinking of maybe getting something symbolising fate too, that everything in life is so uncertain but it all works out for the best.
ahh decisions decisions hahaha :)

courtney xo

#8 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:05 PM

Maybe try a henna design first, will last weeks and if you don't like it afterall, it's going to wear off.

#9 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

I've been thinking the same thing too, but can't decide on what it is that I want. I got my first tatt last year for my 40th birthday and LOVE it. I've been itching to get another, but I know I want it to be meaningful. I can't just get one to get one. I chose a white ink tatt above my wrist. I love its subtlety and that I can see it whenever I want. :D
Suzanna

#10 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

I just mentioned the Phoenix tattoo idea to my son.

He said Yeah! Rising up from a pile of wheat....or bread!
That was kinda cute, so I thought I would share it. :)

Not that you want wheat in your tattoo. :ph34r:
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#11 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

ROTFLOL :lol: Wheat would be classier but a donut would be hilarious. :D

#12 CourtneyLee

CourtneyLee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

HAHAHA!! thats what my mum said, shes like well if you want it to symbolize being diagnosed, get a loaf of bread tattooed on you!
hahaha :lol: :lol:

courtney xo

#13 Lexi

Lexi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

I got my first tattoo when I went to Las Vegas, and my life has never been the same since. The day after I got my tattoo, I got sick and stayed sick, and a year later, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and lots of other food allergies and problems. I ALWAYS wonder if the tattoo brought on the Celiac Disease. However, there is Nothing I can do about it now, and I love tattoos. I only have 2, but am itching for another. Anyway, my tatto says, "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I love it, and it definitely represents my life and everything I have been through! Good Luck!!!

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:51 AM

HAHAHA!! thats what my mum said, shes like well if you want it to symbolize being diagnosed, get a loaf of bread tattooed on you!
hahaha :lol: :lol:

Or part of the tail could be wheat stalks with grains at the base. Make sure that you go to a really good artist and have them do a bunch of sketches for you to choose from. A good artist is expensive so expect to pay $300 to $400 dollars for one of a good size that is well done. Do post a picture in your avatar when it's done. Love to see what you finally decide.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#15 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

a phoenix breathing fire and burning up wheat stalks?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: