Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Tattoo To Symbolise Being Diagnosed?

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys! So, I really want a tattoo to symbolize to stay strong and such, just because being diagnosed was such a big change. Any ideas?

Also, will I react to the ink?

Thankyou

Ads by Google:

You shouldn't react to the ink but try not to use red as that is more likely to cause reactions in people. You could look up words that are meaningful to you in other languages that don't use the 'english' alphabet or pick a symbol that means a lot to you. For example, my first tattoo was a butterfly which for me symbolized freedom, I have one that symbolizes self-realization that is celtic and one that means the relationship between God, man and all the prophets in another language. Do get it in a place that is easily covered, whether we like it or not tattoos are a turnoff for some folks and you don't want it in an obvious place when you are going for a job interview in some professions. If your female the small of your back (a tramp stamp) is not a good place, IMHO. Also consider what will happen to it as you age, the breast area may not be a good spot for that reason. Upper arm and shoulder blade are good spots and easily covered. You should also be aware that having a tattoo can make you more likely to react to hair dyes and getting rid of them is not an easy prospect so if it is your first give it a lot of thought before you have it done.

I think it's a great idea. Ravenwood is very wise in her suggestions. I myself have a "tramp stamp" which in my case is the definition of false advertising. :) I get upset when people judge others on there appearance so I find it amusing to have a "tramp stamp" except.....on rare occasions when creepy people see it and make rude (lewd) comments. That really upsets me.

There are so many things you could do to mark your diagnosis I hope you are able to find something you really like. Just be certain if you do so with a tat that it is something you won't ever regret.

PS Thanks a lot now I'm wanting to get one to mark my diagnosis and my path to a healthier life. I'm learning to be more of a nature girl. ;) I'm liking the idea of a green vine peace sign. :)

If i had to choose a symbol i believe it would be a Phoenix!

If i had to choose a symbol i believe it would be a Phoenix!

I've always wanted a phoenix myself. It is an excellent choice. Rebirth, rising from the ashes.

I've always wanted a phoenix myself. It is an excellent choice. Rebirth, rising from the ashes.

I absolutely love the idea of a phoenix!!

thanks so much guys! a phoenix would be beautiful. i was thinking of maybe getting something symbolising fate too, that everything in life is so uncertain but it all works out for the best.

ahh decisions decisions hahaha :)

Maybe try a henna design first, will last weeks and if you don't like it afterall, it's going to wear off.

I've been thinking the same thing too, but can't decide on what it is that I want. I got my first tatt last year for my 40th birthday and LOVE it. I've been itching to get another, but I know I want it to be meaningful. I can't just get one to get one. I chose a white ink tatt above my wrist. I love its subtlety and that I can see it whenever I want. :D

I just mentioned the Phoenix tattoo idea to my son.

He said Yeah! Rising up from a pile of wheat....or bread!

That was kinda cute, so I thought I would share it. :)

Not that you want wheat in your tattoo. :ph34r:

ROTFLOL :lol: Wheat would be classier but a donut would be hilarious. :D

HAHAHA!! thats what my mum said, shes like well if you want it to symbolize being diagnosed, get a loaf of bread tattooed on you!

hahaha :lol: :lol:

I got my first tattoo when I went to Las Vegas, and my life has never been the same since. The day after I got my tattoo, I got sick and stayed sick, and a year later, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and lots of other food allergies and problems. I ALWAYS wonder if the tattoo brought on the Celiac Disease. However, there is Nothing I can do about it now, and I love tattoos. I only have 2, but am itching for another. Anyway, my tatto says, "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I love it, and it definitely represents my life and everything I have been through! Good Luck!!!

HAHAHA!! thats what my mum said, shes like well if you want it to symbolize being diagnosed, get a loaf of bread tattooed on you!

hahaha :lol: :lol:

Or part of the tail could be wheat stalks with grains at the base. Make sure that you go to a really good artist and have them do a bunch of sketches for you to choose from. A good artist is expensive so expect to pay $300 to $400 dollars for one of a good size that is well done. Do post a picture in your avatar when it's done. Love to see what you finally decide.

a phoenix breathing fire and burning up wheat stalks?

a phoenix breathing fire and burning up wheat stalks?

*** stands up and loudly applauds ***

PERFECT !!!

oh the decisions! i can't decide haha it's too hard! great ideas guys! i'm loving the phoenix burning the wheat stalks, VERY symbolic :lol:

My son and I, both gluten-intolerant, are getting tattoos of a wheat stalk broken off at a 45 degree angle, with little "pop" lines at the corner. I saw the image in the book Portlandia in the section about possible PC restaurant icons. It was a joke, but we loved it!

Laurie

I'm going to get an "XXX" but the X's are going to be little wheat stalks.(Because I call my gluten free diet my "gluten edge") :P You shouldn't react to the ink because of your Celiac. I have seven tattoos so far, both color and black and grey, all of them medium-large sized. Everyone reacts to tattoos differently, everyone has different skin, but you should be okay.