This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pan Fry Fish Coating

Guest Leidenschaft

Guest Leidenschaft

Hi all, it's been awhile since I posted last, life is about as nuts as it can get right now! :blink:

Anyway, in a little less than a month's time, I'm hoping the pace is going to slow just enough for me to go fishing in the stocked pond on the 100 acre woods we're about to move to! :D Speckle and Rainbow trout are going to be the catch! :wub:

In my non-gluten-free life, I would simply dust these in wheat flour, salt and pepper and pan fry in margarine! drool... :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a substitue they REALLY like??? I have done haddock once in a gluten-free flour blend (don't remember the mixture though) and wasn't really crazy about it. :unsure:

Would love to know what your favourite pan-fried trout recipes are! :P

Oh, this 100 acre woods also has moose, deer, bear, beaver, duck, etc...

Now I just have to get through leaving my 10 year old dog business for the first time in it's existance while we travel 5000 km's across the country for a wedding, and move on the day we get back! :wacko::lol: Never a dull moment!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gfinnebraska

When I want to coat something, I just use sorghum flour, salt and pepper. I think it tastes great. You can also find different gluten-free coating mixes. I use one from Open Original Shared Link It is spicier, but very good as well. I am not a fish fan, so my only experience is with chicken. :)

jessman Newbie

I live in Key Largo, FL and my husband is an avid fisherman. When we fry fish (dolphin, snapper, grouper) he uses a medium ground cornmeal and adds salt & pepper and some spices. YUM! Of course, I love cornmeal. We've also used a brown rice coating (can't remember who makes it), but it was made specially as a substitute for flour for frying foods. It was good, too. You can probably find it online at some of the Celiac speciality stores (that where I found it).

gf4life Enthusiast
he uses a medium ground cornmeal and adds salt & pepper and some spices. YUM!

I second the cornmeal. I'm not a big fried fish eater, but I WILL eat it this way! :D

Some of the other gluten-free flours get sort of gooey when fried and that won't work well with fish. the cornmeal coating gets nice and crispy.

God bless,

Mariann

lovegrov Collaborator

Last time I looked Zatarain's Fish Fry was gluten-free. If there's gluten, it will be clearly listed in the ingredients.

richard, roanoke, va.

AnnieMarie Apprentice

Hello,

The other day when I was cookong chicken cutlet parmesan, I wanted to have some as well. So I used Pamala"s pancake mix as a coating. I soaked them in milk( I omit eggs ) and fried as usual with some salt, pepper ,galic powder to my surprise they were very yummy!!! And the coating mixture stayed on very well .I omit the eggs because they tend to make what your frying stick to the pan. I don't see why this would not work as well on fish.

Hope this helps.

Annie

Carriefaith Enthusiast

This is really quick and easy...

Last night I just put a salmon fillet on tinfoil in a pan poured Kraft BBQ sauce on it and sprinkled chili powder on top and then baked it in the oven. It was very yummy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Leidenschaft

Thanks Carrie! :D Unfortunately there's no salmon in our pond, only trout! :lol: But I'll definitely keep that in mind for the next salmon I buy!

AnneMarie, I had actually thought of using the Pamela's Pancake mix! I think I'll try it dry with seasonings added, I will dip mine in egg though, milk is a no no for my belly! :unsure:

Not that I'm wishing my summer away, but I'm really looking forward to fishing in August! :D

specialdiets Newbie

Here in the south (FL) we like to fry fish in cornmeal. But I usually do about 50% cornmeal and 50% white rice or brown rice flour. It makes the fish crispy and browns well. I also add salt and sometimes lemon and dill to the fish.

You can also a mix of bean flour and other gluten-free flour. The bean flour is also great for browning and flavor.

Sunni

pugsnapps Newbie

I don't have a recipe, but I really enjoyed "Homestyle Golden Coatings" by Fortitude. It was great on fish, chicken and shrimp.

I got it through a whole bunch of trial stuff that a friend of mine occassionally gets. You can purchase it through 1-866-NOGLUTEN or www.fortitudebrands.com

It is one of my favorites, it has a little bit of a spice to it too.

Hope this helps

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I use gluten-free pancake/baking mix for anything I want coated and have found it to taste really good.

• 1 month later...
SandraNinTO Rookie
:) I use Kinnickik fish coating, which I found while travelling in PEI (and bought several bags). It was in the gluten-free section in Loblaws. Love it.

Archived