18 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

It's wonderful that you've researched this so well. I have some extensive - and expensive - dental work coming up and I always dread the worry over gluten in his office. This has done a lot to reassure me.

Did your research also show dental floss to be gluten-free? A long time ago there was a discussion here about flavored and unflavored dental floss. It was surmised that Reach dental floss was safe in the unflavored varieties but not the mint or other flavors. I've stuck to the unflavored kind but still have about 4 packages of mint stuck away for my husband's use. Do you think they're safe?

Since then I've always taken my own floss to the dentist when I go in for cleanings but it would be nice not to have to worry about this.

I do not use flavored dental floss because I like the unwaxed variety and that does not come flavored. I used to use the mint type when they did make an unwaxed, flavored mint type but that was pre-diagnosis so that won't help you at all. I would stick with the unflavored, unless you want to call the company and go through that exercise of trying to verify it's status. It can be a total pain....I spent weeks calling everyone but got the information I needed and learned a lot about dental products. I have had extensive dental work done and will, according my dentist, until I am no longer on the planet! :o

To add to this....I go every 3 months for full cleanings, have had multiple caps done, I am in the midst of having 2 dental implants done.....you get the picture. I am sending my dentists kids through college! In all this work, I had one severe reaction and that was from the impression compound. It was the damn gums, which I verified later by eating some gluten-free baked goods I made using gums (I normally do not use them in baking). I felt crappy afterwards so do not eat them anymore. My dentist knows how careful he has to be with Celiacs....I trained him well. ;) Go ahead and get your teeth fixed and, as long as you do the homework and make sure your dentist is on board with everything, you'll probably do fine. Teeth are important!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

Glad you have had such great luck. I didn't with my old dentist. My gluten reactions are very specific and whether it was a reaction to flavors, CC of the powdered gloves (my new dentist uses unpowdered ones) or something else doesn't matter to me, it was definately gluten. I have had extensive work done with my new dentist, who took the time to check everything they use, and have no reactions with their office.
I agree with you completely about the autoclaves.

No....I do not think it has all that much to do with luck. From what I learned calling just about every dental supplier out there, they were perplexed as to why there was so much fear out there regarding dental products. I explained to them the need for total gluten-free status with regards to products and they replied that there would be no need to use any gluten containing ingredients in dental toothpaste, compounds, etc. They use gums for thickeners as the consistency gained from using them gave the product the perfect desired result. Gums are highly problematic for Celiacs and there may also be other ingredients which can cause sensitivity reactions. When I reacted violently ( and I mean violently) to the gums in the impression compound, it was exactly the same reaction I get from ingesting a few crumbs of gluten....exactly. That's what threw me off and then took time to figure out. You have no idea what other things you may be sensitive to or react to...it's a learning process that never ends. I, too, have very specific reactions to gluten, both neuro and gastro, until I learned that gums also mess me up exactly the same way. There was no gluten in the product and it wasn't CC.

I wanted to post my experience and what I had learned because I wanted other Celiacs to know that they should definitely check ingredients with their dentist but the fear of being glutened from the dentist, whether it be from products or an autoclave, is practically non-existent. A reaction to another ingredient, for those with GI issues to begin with, is much more likely to happen.

#18 gabby

gabby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

Check the gloves and see if they are powder-free, or at least if they are using ones powdered with cornstarch.

Also, ask if the dentist or hygenist wouldn't mind washing their hands thoroughly before putting on the gloves (if they've just eaten some gluteny potato chips or just a bite of a muffin or took a sip from their paper cup of coffee covered in muffin crumbs, then the gluten can transfer onto the gloves).

And get them to put on a new mask. Often they pull the mask on and off, and go out to grab xrays or files from the secretary or grab the telephone handset...and then put the mask back on with their hands that may have come into contact with gluten.

Works for me!

Best of luck

#19 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

I do not use flavored dental floss because I like the unwaxed variety and that does not come flavored. I used to use the mint type when they did make an unwaxed, flavored mint type but that was pre-diagnosis so that won't help you at all. I would stick with the unflavored, unless you want to call the company and go through that exercise of trying to verify it's status. It can be a total pain....I spent weeks calling everyone but got the information I needed and learned a lot about dental products. I have had extensive dental work done and will, according my dentist, until I am no longer on the planet! :o

To add to this....I go every 3 months for full cleanings, have had multiple caps done, I am in the midst of having 2 dental implants done.....you get the picture. I am sending my dentists kids through college! In all this work, I had one severe reaction and that was from the impression compound. It was the damn gums, which I verified later by eating some gluten-free baked goods I made using gums (I normally do not use them in baking). I felt crappy afterwards so do not eat them anymore. My dentist knows how careful he has to be with Celiacs....I trained him well. ;) Go ahead and get your teeth fixed and, as long as you do the homework and make sure your dentist is on board with everything, you'll probably do fine. Teeth are important!

Thank you! I'll continue to use the unflavored floss rather than take a chance. For something that costs around a dollar, the risk isn't worth it. I'll let the husband use up the old mint floss. My dentist usually has cinnamon-flavored floss so I'll take my own when I go.
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: