6 replies to this topic

#1 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:03 AM

Hello everyone. Yesterday I made the same biscuits I make every week except this time I added 1/4 cup sorghum flour, from a brand new bag, instead of 1/4 cup sweet rice that I usually use. The biscuits tasted so bad, I had to throw them out. The sorghum flour is Bob's Red Mill.

Any ideas? Is this a case of a bad batch of sorghum flour? They had a bad lot of tapioca last fall and replaced two bags for me. It almost seems too much a coincidence to be repeated...or not?

I'm very disappointed not only because the of the money I wasted but because of the time it took to make/bake them. It may just mean I won't have bread this week.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

Hello everyone. Yesterday I made the same biscuits I make every week except this time I added 1/4 cup sorghum flour, from a brand new bag, instead of 1/4 cup sweet rice that I usually use. The biscuits tasted so bad, I had to throw them out. The sorghum flour is Bob's Red Mill.

Any ideas? Is this a case of a bad batch of sorghum flour? They had a bad lot of tapioca last fall and replaced two bags for me. It almost seems too much a coincidence to be repeated...or not?

I'm very disappointed not only because the of the money I wasted but because of the time it took to make/bake them. It may just mean I won't have bread this week.

Hmmmm...may be either a bad batch (but you should be able to smell rancidity prior to baking) or it may be personal taste. I actually quite like sorghum but of course in moderation. Weird that only 1/4 cup of sorghum would give such an icky reaction so it seems like it is off. Maybe try it with millet - millet has a very nice, almost cornflour flavour that is pretty subtle but with nutrients and nice texture.

When these baking problems happen it can be discouraging AND expensive. Remember that your next batch can be much better! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

Hmmmm...may be either a bad batch (but you should be able to smell rancidity prior to baking) or it may be personal taste. I actually quite like sorghum but of course in moderation. Weird that only 1/4 cup of sorghum would give such an icky reaction so it seems like it is off. Maybe try it with millet - millet has a very nice, almost cornflour flavour that is pretty subtle but with nutrients and nice texture.

When these baking problems happen it can be discouraging AND expensive. Remember that your next batch can be much better! :)

Cannot find millet to try. Took the sorghum back to Whole Foods. I've used sorghum a lot and it just didn't taste right.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

Cannot find millet to try. Took the sorghum back to Whole Foods. I've used sorghum a lot and it just didn't taste right.

Hopefully your next bag is a vast improvement! Those are not pleasant surprises... :angry:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:46 AM

Who knows what that bag went thru before you purchased and opened it.

You should try one of the bun- in- a- cup microwave variations for speed bread. That way you don't commit to making a big batch and then discovering that you don't care for something in it. This is how I narrowed it down to it was flax that really does not taste good at all to me.

#6 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

I love sorghum but usually replace white rice or brown rice with some sorghum but I never replaced it for sweet rice flour...could that have been the problem? Also I never replace all the flour for sorghum. I think millet flour has an after taste so I sparingly use it. Plus its hard to get millet that is not contaminated...Some of us are not big fans of Bob's Red Mill. I react to it.....

#7 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:24 PM

I love sorghum but usually replace white rice or brown rice with some sorghum but I never replaced it for sweet rice flour...could that have been the problem? Also I never replace all the flour for sorghum. I think millet flour has an after taste so I sparingly use it. Plus its hard to get millet that is not contaminated...Some of us are not big fans of Bob's Red Mill. I react to it.....

Well, good point. I may try Authentic Foods brand because I don't like the taste of brown rice flour, but most people seem to like that brand. So, maybe I will too. I'm sick of wasting all of the other ingredients and my time when I get a bad batch of Bob's Red Mill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: